1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Maqq's CLI Server Configuration tool

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by trelawney, Jan 12, 2012.

1. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

One of the reasons I keep telling people that it's impossible for us to provide a General Introduction to Networking that encompasses every particular setup. That said, EchoLynx delivered. I for one I'm indebted to the effort he put in the wiki.

2. Maqq

Maqq Shopkeep Stealer

I compared the builder cfg files in CTF and TDM and I noticed that the CTF builder had line "actor_config = ", and the TDM builder did not. After adding that line to the TDM builder, the server started but the builder started bugging after taking falling damage.

3. kl4060

kl4060 Haxor

how do i use the thing for mac it just says random things in computer language

4. Zephon

Zephon Shipwright

You have to get yourself the Python launcher. I think it can be found on the official Website, included in the Installer dmg:
    http://python.org/download/

Just to be thorough I'll give you some steps to fulfill (if you are willing to read...) And... well, thats how i did it, so I can't guarantee anything proof of errors or mistakes.

1. Before you can start a Server it should be important that you copy and paste your current KAG App. By doing this you create a seperate game wrapper you can use for starting a dedicated server only(!), so it doesn't interfere with the original one.

2. Place Maqqs Server Configuration Tool (sconfig.py) in the copied and pasted KAG.App (by right clicking and opening package contents) under the Folder "MacOS".
    (By the way: You could name the seperate copy of your game "KAG Server", just to be sure not getting confused of what you are using as your Dedicated Server.)

3. You can start the script by opening it with the Python Launcher. After that it should give you several lines you have to fill out. This happens in the Terminal and that is the easiest part of it. Choose the right options for your liking, you will notice when it finished setting up when it fires up error messages. And something important again: Don't close the Game or the Terminal now!

4. These Error Messages are given by the game. I can't give you any further description of the cause, but just click yourself through them until you see the Terminal successfully starting a Server.

5. Now that the server is launched, start your original KAG App. You and others in your network can connect to your newly created Server with the "Connect To..." Option in the Multiplayer Menu by using your IP Adress and the Port 5031, because this way it should only appear to the local Network. (Someone else has to help me out if you don't want to launch a local server).
    If it doesn't work, you may have missed that port forwarding on your router (5031) is crucial to get something like this to work.

PS: If you have problems with the seperate "Server App" using the Launcher of the Game, you can edit the sconfig.py File with "nolauncher" here:

Code:
    # Linux
    else:
        os.system("./KAG nolauncher autostart %s autoconfig %s"%(startpath, configpath))
    Watch out for sudden patches, so that both Game Apps (Server and Original) don't conflict with each other.

With the newest patch (319) however, you can't really connect to your own Server, I think. Because you keep logging yourself out while attempting to join. It probaly will be fixed, but for now it just doesn't work. If this notion is wrong, please correct me. You can read about missing localhost support in the newest developer blog post.

And: Zombie Fortress, of course, doesn't work yet either, if that's what you want to try out.

Note to myself: I don't know if it is forbidden to copy the Game App and modify it in this way (using it as a Dedicated Server). That's the only way it worked on OSX for me. Thats why I shared this short step by step Guide. For others to do it, or to figure out how to do it alternatively to my "solution"

kl4060 likes this.
  5. buster-boy17

buster-boy17 suries gard

cool but how do u download it?

Bunnyboy and kl4060 like this.
  6. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This is so complicated, just reading the file lines hurts my head on OSX. Only reason I would want a PC is for that simple GUI tool.

Guitarman and kl4060 like this.
  7. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

8. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Bootcamp / Fusion?

9. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

Needs an update good sir.

kl4060 likes this.
  10. Maqq

Maqq Shopkeep Stealer

kl4060, afroman1 and sj67 like this.
  11. flipperz

flipperz Shopkeep Stealer

my internet security says this is a virus..

12. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

It isn't, I've used it before.

13. ellijah

ellijah Catapult Fodder

i try to conect to my server but it keeps saying to make sure the server is running but i know it is. whats happened

14. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I want a update :D

kl4060 likes this.
  15. Sammy257

Sammy257 Shopkeep Stealer

I've created a server using this tool but I can't find it online, help?

16. Soulflint

Soulflint Builder Stabber

Capture.PNG
    well I get this error, then the server attempts to restart and creates the same error repetitively =/ :QQ:

17. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

You're trying to use a 5 year old program for the Alpha version of the game. Check the dates of posts and which section you're posting in.