1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

IRC Channel

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Creille, May 18, 2012.

1. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Hey there people reading this my name's Creille and it's friday and I'd like to ask a question:
    What is this IRC channel about? I here a lot of talk about it but what is it? I've been onto it and entered the name Creille355.
    is it like a forum type thing in itself?
    Is it also used on other games/forums?

Can someone give me a basic guid to what it is and how to use it? PLZ help :) whoever helps me first get's a "like" ;)

*also did you like the way I started The thread? :P I covered the:
    Who, when, where and how :P

2. Kagesha

Kagesha KAG Guard Tester

IRC stands for internet relay chat, its basically just an instant messaging chatroom. it is used by tons of communities around the world, jump in and talk about anything you like.

Creille likes this.
  3. Creille

Creille Base Burner

So now that I've logged in as Creille355 that'll be like my user name?

4. Kagesha

Kagesha KAG Guard Tester

yes you can change it to just Creille by typing /nick Creille unless it is already taken.

5. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Ann Goodo :) so what are the main things you do with this?

6. Miaow

Miaow The Fanciest Pants always wins Donator Tester

With the #KAG channel you can chat to other people if they are around or summon a guard if you have griefers, hackers etc to deal with by typing "!guard".

7. Kagesha

Kagesha KAG Guard Tester

i don't see you in the channel at the moment but as i said before just chit chat with other players about anything. our specific channel also has a !guard command (explained here) whenever you need assistance with anything.

8. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Well ok :) I'll go on it later ATM my computers being a (insert bad word) :P

9. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Internet Relay Chat is the precursor to many instant messaging services you see today. There exist things as chatrooms or 'channels' (They always have a # before their name, such as #kag or #kag.wiki), which by themselves, exist on servers (such as QuakeNet for #kag and #kag.wiki).
    IRC channels are used for, well, chatting, like any other chatroom, but they are large and hold a lot of people inside them, making it great for discussions real-time.

There exist webclients and downloadable clients, KAG also has it's webclient embedded on it's site, so it's easy to use, although has limited options in terms of customization. Downloadable clients like mIRC, XChat or IceChat allow for more customization in terms of how it looks like, colors, font, sounds and the like. Note that downloadable clients may be a hassle to set up propely.

As an example, this is how my client looks like. You can see I have connected to two different servers on the left, and various channels inside them :)

This concludes my explanation of IRC, to the best of my knowledge xD

10. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

You can get to know all the common kag players that come on IRC, maybe even Geti!
    But yes they explained it perfectly well!

11. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

In addition to getting to know people, you can also ask assistance from guards by typing !guard (this gets their attention) and then telling them the problem and server.

12. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Awesomec, Fate and Ghozt like this.
  13. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Wow, didn't know that logs were actually saved, neato!

14. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

What is the difference?
    I use the actual quake-net site because that is smoother.
    Also how many KAG IRC's are there?

15. Raron

Raron KAG Guard Tester

For you 2 ( #kag and #kag.wiki )

For me 4 ( #kag , #kag.wiki and 2 others )

For devs it is unknown ;)

inactive_account and Ghozt like this.
  16. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

#kag.ingame

though hardly anyone uses it, usually only trolls come on, and i have to ban them :>:(:

Raron likes this.