1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This week's cool stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 23, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fwiw water and wood blocks preliminary implementation likely will make it into this week's release. We want to get a much faster dev turn around than we have been working on for a long time.

I'm super pissed off about how zombies has played out because each of the features there has required significant changes to some other part of the code - the kind of changes that take time. As such, progress was slow as hell, and even at the end of the day, some mechanics are in conflict with others, and there are still quite a few hacks in there.

This week we've got water drafted (some things might change but the core mechanic of a level of water, waves and drowning wont), wood blocks in and started work on dynamic castle blocks. I dunno about you guys but I feel that that's good progress, and the right way to be doing development.

Oh how I wish zombies mode was what we originally planned: zombies come, you build a fort and kill them for as long as you can. Reason being that that's basically what we have, only with party controls and >1 type of zombie, and 4 months fewer development time for other things than we'd like.

Actually, you know what, here's an insight into development for you.

Something a lot of you aren't aware of: we actually don't have years and years to make KAG into whatever we want.
    We've got a deadline on it now, for external reasons, and want to work on other games, explore more ideas and make more fun stuff. We also don't want to change the game into something it's not - it will always be a fast paced team building fighting game.We'll implement some elements commonly seen in strategy games to make the flow of larger games a little more palatable and less random, but KAG will always be a fast paced game with a purpose, not yet another giant sandbox game.
    If we can't get everything done in time, we'll be cropping out the features that add the least and change the most (read: the overworld side of things) because they aren't what KAG is about. It's about a few teams of people competing. If that means reducing the final price of the game, we don't mind. Cramming in more and more features just for the sake of having more stuff is how terraria ended up the way it is - a giant conglomerate of semi-related unrefined mechanics.
    That's all well and good for a sandbox, but it's not the kind of game we want KAG to be - we want a game trimmed of fat, of unnecessary mechanics, a game that is just pure simple fun, easy to pick up and play but with a long road to mastery. We want to get it to a point where we can call it done, and have some time to polish things up as well.

We've got to the point where we no longer have the time to dream of very large, complicated systems like in an MMO, nor are we particularly interested in implementing them. Even if we wanted to go full MMO on KAG as it stands, we don't have the tools at our disposal at the moment. The engine is fairly simple to add new things to, but is very hard to change things in. We feel that we have time for just one more large scale change in the development of the game before it comes out of development proper and enters its maintenance cycle, and that is changes to the way buildings and support work. I'll go into that later, probably next week.

We can always revisit this intellectual property in future to make a more strategic, long term focussed game (which is actually the plan at this point) - but it certainly wont happen for KAG 1.0.

(inb4 OMG DESERTING KAG)

2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Yeah I think most of us are here because of the brilliance you guys have already put out, not because of distant future speculation. Please do focus the design goals if it makes a better game.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

If I could like that >1 time, I would.

vampo and delankski like this.
  4. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

As long as the following things are released I dont really care,anyway heres what I really want to be released:
    1.Overworld.
    2.Veichles/New siege weapons
    3.BUG FIXEZS!
    Thats all.

5. Im_a_Turtle

Im_a_Turtle Arsonist

Pertaining to the Moving block; If i were to put 2 pressure plates around a single moving block then attach arrow launchers to the pressure plates, will i be able to actually make a double barreled arrow machine gun? Since the block would be automatically pressing on the pressure plates each time it moves back and forth.

delankski likes this.
  6. underwaterbear

underwaterbear Shipwright

Reading all the dev posts about the plans for the Overworld game type is what made me immediately buy the game, no lie. I played the free version, but after reading on the blog and forums where you were planning on taking KAG I literally bought the game that night, after only having known about KAG for a couple hours. It deeply saddens me to hear that you might not be taking the game in that direction after all.

Here's hoping you end up having the time to make that dream come true anyways.

Keep up the good work guys, cheers.

7. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

Please, please, please do over world that is the ONLY thing i REALLY SUPER DOOPER WANT/NEED>

Halosnake likes this.
  8. Geti

Guys, what does an overworld add to the game as it stands? Think about it. It's basically the same thing as large maps, but with a confusing switch between states and more server strain from multiple maps running simultaneously (-> a crapload of physics calculations).

If you want a sandbox, that's already possible, you don't need multiple maps bound together for that.
    If you want an RTS, that's a completely different game and not something we're going to do with this project.
    If you want a fast paced, team-based strategic pvp deathmatch game, you're in luck.

The fast pace and ease of play is a large part of what makes KAG fun. If we were to add an overworld, things would be very much slowed down (large world means more places for people to be, means less conflict means less action means more sandbox).

KAG has never been intended as a "true" sandbox game. Some sandbox play is possible, but we're focussed on more competitive/cooperative, faster gameplay. You'll be able to re-arrange the elements that we create to make PVE "adventure" servers, and if the tech system is vaguely fleshed out (something we'll need to prevent people being all LOLKEGS at the start of a game) you'll be able to extend it to include more technologies and longer research times for a much more strategy (and cooperation) dependent game.

I intend to replace the editor in the coming weeks with something able to place blobs, freeze time, teleport around, grab and move objects, edit the currently loaded rules _and_ choose how a map is saved - whether it includes specific rules or not, whether it embeds the configs or loads them from disk each time (and where from). This will give modders a lot more control in-game without the need to tinker with files, and will also allow them to distribute their work without distributing their configs (-> noone will know exactly how you did such and such).

Once we've got the game "done" we're also going to spend quite a bit of time sorting out at least a simple scripting interface, and opening a lot of things up to that, so that new gamemodes can be concocted, new object behaviours designed and generally a lot of awesome added posthumously. We're going to use KAG as a learning experience on how to do that correctly (from what works nicely and what doesn't) so that we can explore a few avenues in that direction in the future. I've learned a lot from modding Cortex Command for example, but there are some things that will have to stay hardcoded inside KAG. It's bad practice, but as I've said, we're on a pretty strict deadline here (not sure if it's legal for me to divulge the exact date publicly at this point, got to look over some papers).

9. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

Overworld would allow for much larger armies fighting against each other in a way that is do able.
    Could you gather 100 players while hosting a game for 5 hours, and keep them there without saving their player? Not that I know of.
    Could you gather 100 players while hosting a game over days, and keep them there by saving their player? Possible.
    Overworld would (probably) keep players entertained for much longer times.
    Overworld would add massive wars and creativity to the game, and the gaming community.
    I've seen servers in other games that have multiple worlds, stretching over huge amounts of spaces, (Terraria, Minecraft, ECT) , every item in every chest , and every player were saved.
    RTS though, is not something that most people would like, considering the amount of thinking most of the KAG players do.

10. Geti

No it wouldn't allow larger armies fighting, because currently KAG is limited by CPU usage for even 1 map with 50+ people on it. We'll be able to improve this, but simulating a larger number of maps and a layer linking them together would allow fewer players in-game than without.

Not only that, but massive wars are not necessarily a good thing - one player means so much less then, -> noone can have a significant impact on the game. With really long games, servers would suffer even more from griefing than they currently do - rather than ruining an hour of play, you'd ruin several days of play.

Terraria and Minecraft are very different games to KAG. People seem to compare them because you can break tiles, but those games have been designed for the entirety of their existence to be focussed on long games and sandbox play. KAG has been designed for shorter games and more action packed play.

Minecraft gets around the "large spaces" issue by allowing map streaming - currently, we haven't got anything like that implemented. We might be able to implement basic streaming at some point for when people want humongous maps, but for now it works for very large maps anyway, 1024-wide and above don't seem to cause that much extra strain other than being slow to load at the start of the game due to downloading like 500kb of uncompressed map (for a 512x1024 map). However, with compression I think this gets pushed down to something in the realm of 80kb or so because of the large contiguous areas of open air and dirt.

A 1024 wide map is gigantic. The only reason you'd need more space than that would be to fit in several "levels" of dungeons and so forth. With clever server administration and some basic scripting, these could be spread over several separate maps.

11. MrJinkies

MrJinkies Horde Gibber

Personally when i first played this game this was pre-zombies i would have almost called this game complete. When people told me about zombies i got what i expected and that was another non kag like feature (sorry to say) and it wasn't great. Though saying that i would have been happy if Pre-zombies you fixed most bugs added some smoother play then slapped a big old finished sticker on it and i wouldn't have seen anything needed to be added.

Though the work you have done has been great and very informative :p

FlameHaze3, SARGRA13, Geti and 2 others like this.
  12. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Go for anything you want. There is enough game in KAG for me already now, and even just War mode would definitely be enough.
    I do hope that the deadline locates at least to year 2013 though :)

Dark_Ham and Ghozt like this.
  13. Dark_Ham

Dark_Ham Shipwright

^ What he said.
    You guys are doing a fantastic job at the moment with KAG. Hence why the whole KAG community love you guys (No homo). ;)
    So continue with whatever plan you're doing at the moment. I'm sure it's for the best either way.

14. Solomon-Grundy

Solomon-Grundy Shopkeep Stealer

Geti, do what you guys need to do. KAG is an amazing game, one that's kept me playing literally many hours a week for OVER A YEAR! I can't say what game, if any, I can say that about and I've been playing computer games for decades...

Ghozt likes this.
  15. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

SOLOMON GRUNDY WANT PANTS TOO.

Carry on, everyone.

HERaLD likes this.
  16. underwaterbear

underwaterbear Shipwright

I wish you had decided this earlier. I still love KAG, and play it usually at least once a night, but I really bought it so I could wait for the Overworld mode to release, you seemed so excited when you talked about your plans for it, it made me really excited. I don't care about large scale battles and whatnot, it was the idea that you could start out as nothing, and band together with friends to create towns, or camps throughout the world, fight npcs, possibly lich's, find treasure, and work your way from a peasent to one of the various planned classes. Even the perma-death was something I was looking forward too.

I understand that KAG is a fast paced game, I'm just saying I could have hours of fun walking by myself through the world, exploring and whatnot.

Seems kind of out of nowhere to just throw all that away, but I guess you're just being realistic.

I wish I hadn't ranted on and on to all my friends about how amazing Overworld was going to be in the future lol

Bracket and Halosnake like this.
  17. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

These things happen dude. That's why they kept saying, "Nothing is set in stone." Because nothing is for sure coming out. KAG is still an awesome game and I'll continue to play it and support MM and Geti. You should too.

Dark_Ham likes this.
  18. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

What Overworld adds in my personal opinion is the option for much larger games and more 'fun' in that way that it seems you would have more time for attacking and defending in funner ways. As you say however, too much work to be done anytime soon.

Things I really would want and care about personally:
    Siege
    Water/Fire
    Scripting (Preferably with the ability to do a lot of stuff)
    Movable blocks
    Small blocks, large blocks (if possible) ;) Large cooler than small
    Custom blocks able to be made (tied in with the scripting) so we can make things like stronger versions of doors, or team only travel solid blocks that go unsolid for the other team, aka make rules for blocks
    Ability to add more colors to the game
    Ability to play with more than 64 players on a map at some point again.

Dark_Ham, FuzzyBlueBaron, Aer and 2 others like this.
  19. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I hate to be a buzzkill but I've always been skeptical about Overworld. Everyone talks about how cool it would be to do X maybe possible thing but no one considers the actual logistics of the game mode. Even based on the few things we know for certain I'm not sure that such a game mode could work in practice.

I'm not saying the whole idea should be thrown out the window, but everyone drooling over Overworld feels like Scarlet preening over Ash when Rhett Butler is right there!*

*Man this analogy makes me look like a homo.

20. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I think solving all this Overworld problem would be easier if people will have ability to mod the game a lot after it's done.

KnightGabe13 likes this.