1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress - Praise Armok!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by TerryDactyl, Jun 3, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Hmm, i like the fact that toady uses aardvarks, like most of us. it used to be something diffrent, but since so much new animals were added...

2. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Something about Dwarf Fortress talk just brings me unimaginable joy.
    After taking a couple days to re-download, spending about an hour trying to generate an acceptable beginning site, then play over and over and over (each time generating a new land, mind you) until I get a functioning settle, I can safety say I still love cursing and beating my computer while getting getting involved in love and hate relationships with my various little dwarves.

I feel so heartbroken when one of the little guys works so hard and becomes so useful only to fall to a random and uncontrollable feeling that he must make some masterpiece, eventually go insane trying to find ingredients, and starves to death in a walled off area I was forced to encase him in until his inevitable death. What a depressing game.

TerryDactyl and Beef like this.
  3. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Thats the charm, good sir.

EDIT:
    But yes, it IS depressing.
    Having good dwarves jump down waterfalls and die randomly sucks :(

4. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

There is a god so fearful that none - nay, even Armok - dare to speak his name.

It is the dread-god RNG, known and abhorred by all who be familiar with the rogue-like genre. May his blessings be great and his curses benign.

Beef likes this.
  5. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

In that case it's more like fail AI pathing

6. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Mh. I like that god. He gave me an elven civ named 'the cat of ceilings'

Sir_Walter, Jim_Dale and Beef like this.
  7. Duke2die4

Duke2die4 Arsonist

we shold play the defens mod 4 DF so we get the first sige when were 20 Dwards :D

8. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

Mmm. Minecarts got a ton of buffs recently.
    So now, not only can you give enemies major blunt force trauma and bash in their skulls, minecarts an now skip across water of your moat.
    As if that wasn't enough, with the ability to fill up wih lava and the splashing mechanics you can send a iron package of hell red-hot to your next invaders.

Wonkyth likes this.
  9. xChapx

xChapx Ballista Bolt Thrower

i dont know how but when i lose in dwarf fortress i dont feel bad, making a new fortress again and again is insanely fun, also looking at all the interesting things that can happen with your dwarves is cool too
    [​IMG]

Sir_Walter, Noburu, Jim_Dale and 2 others like this.
  10. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

Well, it'd have to be that way, otherwise most people would have a cow all the time. But yeah, the only thing that bothers me is how or why the fortress dies, not the actual death itself, usually due to one of the following circumstances:
    • Urist McNaked cancels sane: Berserk ---> Job change ---> Presently killing nobles
    • Urist McFarmer cancels create food supply: Year long break
    • Urist McCannonFodder cancels job: Now holding the door open for the Goblins, being the polite gentleman he is
    • Urist McMilitia cancels fight enemy with steel masterwork weapons: Higher skill in punching
    • Urist McCatLover's cat has been found dead! ---> Tantrum spiral
    • Urist McMilitia is killed by megabeast. EVERYONE, RUN OUT QUICKLY TO TAKE HIS SOCKS!
    • Legendary Fisherdwarf gets stuck in cavern lake, ends up fishing up a storm. Unbeknowest to you he can not be recovered, miasma generates, other fisherdwarves stop fishing, fortress dies of starvation from too much fishing
    • Psycho Pandabadgers
    And yeah, it's pretty fun finding strange embark locations through use of "Embark Everywhere" and imagining a group of hobo dwarves setting up camp in the middle of a fort.

11. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Seeing a fortress die is so much fun <3
    And i'm certain everybody would agree.
    One of my fortressed died due to me forgetting about water pressure.
    Cue "why is there water coming out of the well that i placed convienently in the middle of the dining room?"
    Cue me laughing and laughin as everything flooded, it was so much fun.
    Some areas were higher, so dwarves fled there. Tough it was a dead end. That was my favorite part.
    Would only have been better if the mayor that was lying on a dead miner's pick would actually have mined his way out.

xChapx likes this.
  12. bobboy555

bobboy555 Catapult Fodder

One of my fortresses died because cave fungus began appearing on the floor and a crocodile masacred all my dwarves while my militia, with spears and swords, were eating or sleeping.

Oh Urist McMilitia, when will you learn?

13. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Eh?
    Fungus is a effect of breaching the caverns, and acts almost exactly as grass, aka, if many dwarves move over it will trample it and cattle can eat it.

Also.

'UristMcSoldier:

"Sorry boss, i'm on break!" '

14. bobboy555

bobboy555 Catapult Fodder

Meh.

Urist McFisherman cancels Fish: Cannot reach destination.

I hate it when they fall down holes.
    I also hate it when Urist McMilitia is too busy eating a piece of mushroom to kill those pesky kobolds.

Urist McMilitia cancels Save the Fortress: Eating

15. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Hm, thats the charm. If your militia is all eating at the same time, youre doing it wrong. I usually spam cage traps in the first few years. (extra effective if you have 2 streams coming togheter in a waterfall, aka, 3 places to place bridges to catch gobbos)

16. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

I've always thought this was a little cheatsy, since you're able to store an entire legion of gobobs in wooden cages in a stock pile (Goblin Zoo, anyone?). But hey, it's a real fort-saver and I can't complain about the free iron and clothing.

EDIT: wow, replied to the wrong one. :/
    Here it is:

17. Adelarth

Adelarth Builder Stabber

What i love about Dwarf fortress is the countless amount of possibilities the game offer. For example, in one of my fortress i had a tantrum spiral that was too advanced to be stooped by normal means. So i made another cave, designated some dwarfs to borrow there, closed the gates and started to farm to make my new dwarves survive. then a goblin army came so I opened the main gates to let them pass to kill my tantruming dwarves. Then the goblins were defeated by the combined forces of my chosen dwarves and a caravan that came. So much fun :D. Then my fortress succumbed to a lone goblin that was left behind by the others:(

18. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

Sounds like you managed to kill all but the goblin warlord, who usually has high skills in combat. I normally just mark a bow squad to all aim for the head honcho when I don't want to actually deal with them.

19. FloorBelow

FloorBelow Catapult Fodder

A KEG thread on the Dwarf Fortress forums is how I discovered this game. Now I have come full circle. Ramdom forum browsing is !!!FUN!!!

20. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

The iron is called goblinite, btw.

Beef likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi