1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Exploration Maps?; A Suggestion/Request

Discussion in 'Maps' started by thebonesauce, May 15, 2012.

1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Add in signs and each enemy being able to load with their own stats as well as having signs and you have a KAG RPG.

We can already do signs actually so ^^; , for singleplayer anyway.

2. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I loved vig's map, finishing it gave a real sense of accomplishment.
    It needs quite a lot of tweaking now to deal with darkness and stuff though.

thebonesauce likes this.
  3. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

I tried putting it in my server a while back (very long ago) and it crashed it :l

4. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Exploration maps are a great idea, and I feel like there's a lot of untapped potential in KAG's platforming that goes unnoticed/unused in regular multiplayer ctf games (although I have seen more experimentation in some RDM maps and it's delicious). I had been building a few archer challenge maps quite awhile ago, and they turned out to be more like prettified exploration maps than an actual challenge map, and they were great fun to move about on. Unfortunately, I've gone through hardware cleans since I worked on those maps, and only have a screenshot or two of them. Here's one of them:
    [​IMG]

I think being able to place entities like migrants, zombies, henries, outposts, workshops (completed and incomplete), signs, resources, etc in the map (read: using the in-game editor), would be really nice, and would open a plethora of possibilities! I can also imagine them working really well in multiplayer too! Come to think of it, there are actually no platform-exploration games like Knytt or Seiklus with multiplayer, so KAG could really be the first game to do that! Just imagine, a huge map, in which people can choose to move about and do as they please; be it finding a nice grassy mound in a plain to build a castle on, finding villages inhabited with npcs and trading with them or exploring ancient ruins and spelunking in caves and dungeons filled with beasties.
    Just thinking about all of this is making me jitter with excitement. It could take the non-competitive, friendly, explorative fun of zombies and expand on some of its greatest assets. But, I see map sizes being a huge limitation. I remember hearing that for every extra block of dimension to a map's width/height, the amount of strain put on the server increases at an increasing rate.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts on the matter. I'd love to get to work on an exploration map of my own again, if ever I find the time!

[EDIT]
    I just did some rummaging through the forums, and found that Illu said this about Vig's tutorial map which was officially included in the eyecandy build (That's almost a year ago!), and he seems to have had exactly the same inklings as me!
    Taken from this thread.

Contrary, Antman and Bunnyboy like this.
  5. pyro3345

pyro3345 Shopkeep Stealer

What I got out of it was that you wanted an adventure/campaign style map/gamemode? Well I am pleased to inform you that I will be creating a map set that is multiplayer Deathmatch and CTF, however they also have a sort of series to them, being that one map might lead onto the next,

EXAMPLE: lets say blue wins the game in my Ant Tunnels map, then red would be pushed back into Canyon Encounter, but if red won then blue would be pushed back to Crossing Cave. so the setup goes like this,

Crossing Cave <-> Ant Tunnels <-> Canyon Encounter

I am going to put all of my maps together into one huge map. it would end up being around 900 blocks wide. I might make it taller also, if i make floating island maps.

6. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

I have fooled around with maps and came up with an exploration gamemode. very much a WIP though. (and fun, i might post it here sometime)

You can place pre-built workshops and zombies. you just have to go into singleplayer and turn it gold only, and save the map via /rcon /savemap mapname
    that keeps all the workshops/zombies/entities.

Vig's map is amazing.

7. pyro3345

How do you place the zombies and workshops and such? O-o

8. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

Through Command for zombies, but if you build the map with workshops with editor, you can save it via /rcon /savemap
    and it saves as a .kag file, not a ,png. allowing the workshops to stay

9. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

It would be cool if you explore it with zoomed in, that would be cool ;)

10. pyro3345

cool.

EDIT: also two things.

1. Froghead i thought you were gonna be inactive

2. whats the zombie command.

Froghead48 likes this.
  11. CoCr

CoCr Catapult Fodder

i have made a map like that. here it is.
    [​IMG] industrial city.png

its like a city. the far right is a factory, with bedrock as workstations, a gold throne, 4 guards, a balcony, and a air vent. (i say this because not many buildings have that)

next to it is a building, witch is a skyscraper with dirt back walls as mailboxes, computers, and tvs. with a guard at a balcony. al;so another throne. at the bottom are gold bullions, witch are metal detectors bassicly. a couple of houses after that, (and a mansion)
    so yeah. i thought if fitted the "casual" map type
    </br>--- merged: Jul 24, 2012 3:16 AM ---</br>
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/adventure-map-need-help.7592/
    yep.

12. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Nice! I'll have to check that out when I come home today. :)

13. Creille

Creille Base Burner

This would be good once FOW gets introduced I have thought about making some exploration maps but i guess I'm just not very good at them :P it'd be great just to set up a LAN server with some buds (yeah I said it: buds) and explore some awesome maps ::)

lavalord likes this.