1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Can you make a car out of magnets

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FlyingGroundhog, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. FlyingGroundhog

FlyingGroundhog Shopkeep Stealer

Like put some wheels on the bottom like a normal vehicle, but then you have a big magnet attached to the front and then you have a big steel loop that is strong enough to hold another magnet and then you and another person could go in the car and drive it with the first magnet tilting side to side to turn, and then you could have a magnet thingie that would turn off the magnets so you could stop and park.

Oh and also since there can be two people in the magnet car who would you bring along with you? I would bring Nazna because she is pumpkin-licious and one day I hope to be her husband... >.> don't judge me k.

Second choice would be Beef because well he is pretty cool in the way he rolls I mean we would look like proper gangsters in that car. So yeah, who would you want to ride with you in your magnet car and how would you design your magnet car?

Nazna and Ej like this.
  2. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

3. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Also relevant:

Doc22 and Bunnyboy like this.
  4. Raron

Raron KAG Guard Tester

Last time i checked magnets work in both ways...

So yea with that design you would just stand on place.
    Also the law of preserving power prevents the creation of perpetuum mobile, which is exactly what would happen if that worked.

And yes thats why Shad puted a troll with a magnet.

5. Redigit

Redigit is not my actual name, it's Tommasop.

6. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

The problem with that is that both magnets are attracted to eachother and are mobile. The troll mobile doesn't work as the forces of attraction are "equal" and just cancel each other out, resulting in no movement due to the attractive force of the magnets at all.
    If the second magnets was stationary or just not connected to the car at all, the car would move toward the other magnets (assuming the magnet was strong enough) but only to the magnet, requiring the disembodied magnet to be moving somehow to actually create a vehicle.
    And at that point, having a rope between the two would make more sense.

EDIT: can't believe I posted this. /nothingtodo

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

'out of magnets' no
    'as you described' no, there's a reason it's troll physics.. you know with cool face and all.

There have been many suggested (but never successful obviously) infinite propulsion systems revolving around magnets however.

8. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I think that's hilarious, knowing my history with her.

9. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

I thought you meant like a whole care made of magnetised iron or something.

But then I saw you were just being a noob at physics. Think about it this way, you can't pick up your legs with your arms and just hover above the ground...

I wonder about an actual magnetic car? I assume this wouldn't work due to induction all over the everything everywhere due to the induction in startup or what I dunno?

10. FlyingGroundhog

FlyingGroundhog Shopkeep Stealer

Oh wow I sure am a noob at physics. Now my brain hurts...

11. Nazna

Nazna Link's Lover Donator

I'M PUMPKIN-LICIOUS!

Brine likes this.
  12. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

YES YOU CAN!!! :eek: Crusher of dreams with real-life physics... For shame.

13. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

no necroposting please

KnightGabe13 likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.