1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

How to Make A Map for Dummies!

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Ghozt, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

This is my dodgy tutorial on how to make a map! (There are other ways to make a map, but I find this way most comfortable)
    Colour Palette: https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/map-colours.6204/
    First download paint from HERE, then you need to download a map from the map part of the forum found HERE, this map needs to include team doors, trap bridges ETC. all the things not found in the default maps.
    (You will also need a default map for this)

Open paint.net and load up your downloaded map, plus a default map found in your KAG folder. (In your "C:" drive there should be a KAG folder, then it is KAG/Base/Maps/Duel2.png)

1.PNG 2.PNG

In the menu bar and tabs up the top enable Grid lines and rulers (Optional)

Go file new and make a new blank sheet, (Forgot what it is called) the size depends on what map you are making.

5.PNG

Next you need to use the "Paint dropper" and to equip it as your cursor press "K" or the icon in the next image will show you the icon. Then you want to click a colour in the image. (You need to know what it is, so at the bottom of most maps is bedrock so it is best to start with bedrock.) and press "P" for the drawing pencil, (It is best to have the pencil size to 1.) and go to your blank sheet and draw the bottom as bedrock.

6.PNG 7.PNG 8.PNG 9.PNG

You can now do this with a different colour, the next image is a team door, and just repeat step 5.

15.PNG
    10.PNG 12.PNG 13.PNG

This is just some tips about the trees, the tree colour is in fact not the same, it changes ever so slightly,
    16.PNG 17.PNG 18.PNG
    The different types of tree are as followed;
    The shade of 105 is the bushy/tree top.
    The shade of 104 is a normal tree trunk but with some sticks/low scrubs.
    The shade of 103 is, sorry I forgot, if someone could comment it below or I will test when I get home, thanks)
    The tree changes depending on the placement of the tree and colour itself, like if you put a "104" at ground level it may make a shrub type bush. So you can never make the tree perfect.

I will now teach you to save and launch your map. Firstly and most importantly is when you save you MUST have the map as 24bit or it will crash when you load the map up.

19.PNG 21.PNG
    Pretty simple, and when you load up your map you write "/loadbitmap <your chosen map name>" This has to be correct, and I don't think it is case sensitive.

22.PNG

Thanks for checking this is out, and when I have some time I can make a smoother tutorial, and the reason behind making this, well I don't think Wonka's tutorial was easy to read, and this one is also in English.
    (Thanks to Electro for this map, I use this map for all my maps, and is below. :) )

Attached Files:

• 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
  2. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

Theres already a map making guide in the sticky, plus you forgot to include the color code link

3. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

The point of this is so that you don't need the colour sheet, and I made this for ease of access, because personally I couldn't understand the stickied ones, and I talked to another few people who said they couldn't understand it to.

4. Creille

Creille Base Burner

It is good that you made this GHOZT!!! :) I'll suggest this to any map making noobs out there :)

5. CoD

CoD Haxor

Me :'(

fishfinger73, Creille and Ghozt like this.
  6. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

the idea of using existing maps to make the color stuff easier is a good idea, but why dont you go sandbox,
    and make a colorsheet there? by placing all the blox like this:

:blank::bridge::blank::door::blank::castle_bg:

:blank::ladder::blank::castle_wall::blank::spikes:

get the idea?

7. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

Glad I read this. I always thought others used the ingame map editor to make maps. That would take much longer than this!

Ghozt likes this.
  8. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I didn't get an alert, you should do this because in sandbox you can't get all of the objects, the wiki has a more extensive list, like hearts ETC. (Different trees ETC.)
    Also talking about colour sheets, I made on myself that you can find in this thread:
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/map-colours.6204/
    Instead I open this instead of different maps, I will edit the post, thanks.

Bunnyboy likes this.
  9. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Drafiks, that is no way of thinking.
    Most peoples starting maps are probably, shit, why take away there right to learn, think of it this way.

Your teachers are not going to teach you because you are stupid, learn yourself. You would think that the teacher is an inconsiderate bitch, so personally, I think that the more tutorials the better, because with more people making more maps, the more quality maps we will be getting and we can have tonnes of DLC for KAG.

Also you tell me on my profile to use the edit button on my profile, nice double post.

10. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

As soon as we get some stuff the quality of the maps will literally ZPLODE!
    those things are:
    1: a better mapeditor
    2: a way to make gamemodes (such as race, parcour, CTF with one flag, and KotH)
    3: more stuff we can use in the editors (Z-portals, kegs, shops etc...)

11. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Good job, added it to the sticky.

Noburu, Gofio and Ghozt like this.
  12. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

typo in the last spolier.
    Also, i like this tutorial much better.

Ghozt likes this.
  13. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

LOL i no even notice!

14. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

the "ad" is supposed to be "and", i believe.

I will now teach you to save and launch your map. Firstly and most importantly is when you save you MUST have the map as 24bit or it will crash when you load the map up.

Pretty simple, and when you load up your map you write "/loadbitmap <your chosen map name>" This has to be correct, ad I don't think it is case sensitive.

Gofio likes this.
  15. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Thanks for the heads up, I will change it now!

Done.

Bunnyboy and Froghead48 like this.
  16. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

They are not necessary, just what I use.
    If it is the downloading well, a good online website that I use frequently is 'sumopaint.com'
    This has all the features and more.

fishfinger73 and Bunnyboy like this.
  17. ITROLLEDU

ITROLLEDU Ballista Bolt Thrower

Mhm. Maps... Ticks... you did stuff right Ghozt... you get ticks [Both Types]
    </br>--- merged: Jun 13, 2012 6:38 AM ---</br>
    Actually there are 3 kinds of ticks : 1 One Tick [The one you get a good mark with :)] 2 kind is the one thats sucks your blood third is the people that stalk you :D

Gofio and Ghozt like this.
  18. fishfinger73

fishfinger73 Haxor

Well done, now I am no longer a noob. This is the easiest to understand so far :D!

Ghozt likes this.
  19. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

I will update it sooner with a picture involving all the new objects, I will try and get the wiki picture if I can, also thanks for the feedback and praise. :)

Antman and fishfinger73 like this.