1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

A Request to the Community: A Premium server with the default ruleset.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bilbs, Jun 11, 2012.

1. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

All these new changes are coming out and it's great to see them in action, but so far all I've been able to play (on the premium side) are huge servers.

I know everyone isn't in the same boat as me, but I'm a huge fan of playing games as the developers intended. Obviously, they had huge games like Raynes Water Fun Time in mind, as it is allowed through modification. But I'm looking to play some 8v8 on a smallish map with a moderate sized lake in the middle. Not an 18v18 shitshow over an ocean.

So to anyone with hosting capabilities. I humbly request that you set up your server with the default (meaning all of the new updates, the lake map generator, on a 16 player server) settings.

Sincerely,
    Bilbs

2. I second this!

3. I think MM hosts a 8v8 server with the new stuff. Well, at least the server was up before the last patch but I hope it's back for good since I've had much fun playing there.
    And it's good to meet someone sharing my aversion to big, lolrandom servers.

Ghozt likes this.
  4. Awesomec

Awesomec Shark Slayer

Same, I also wanted one without water, so we could play with just the new wood, and next update, fire.
    Personally there is too much carnage on a big 32 person server (or not enough), it seems like it always turns into a camp fest with catapults and underwater tunneling.

5. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

It would only cost like 11 dollars a month if you want to host a 16 slot server, if you'd like to try.

allknowingfrog likes this.
  6. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

I don't like hosting services that don't let me directly edit the files. Any suggestions?

7. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

http://hgspanel.hostedgameservers.com is what we use.

You can directly edit the configs and junk through it. There's also MMs pals company but I've never used it, so dunno.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Yeah I think it was like SirSalami, myself, and a few other people who were discussing this. It's pretty annoying not knowing that a server has all these crazy changes before going on it. I'm sure we've all been surprised by exploding lanterns or have tried to kill dancing skeletons.

Even aside from that there's an issue of balance, as much as the engine and coding, specific values on settings shape the game and make it better or worse.

Azeal and Ghozt like this.
  9. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

Agreed. Don't forget the wall of arrows everpresent in all of these massive servers.

10. amuffinattack

amuffinattack Bison Rider

Well [!]Clemos server is a gold, with water and 16 slots. As for the settings being defualt I am not sure. They may have the same shops as Raynes. But at least its 16 slot with smaller maps.

11. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

I would have the capacity to run a server of that size on my pc. (running an appropriate type of linux if desired) The issue would be that it is in the shop for HDD problems and even when I get it back I could not run it 24/7, but I am upgrading my internet and am in the central US somewhere, so both east and west coast players would have moderate latency. So all in all if I ran a server it would be a small premium server, but "up time" would be an issue. If you see a small premium server using vanilla premium KAG in about 3 weeks time I might just be behind it now that I know there is a demand for such.

On a side note I'm leaving the day after this was posted for two weeks so if you do message me asking when it will be up or how much progress has been made I will not be able to respond.

12. If it gets too popular and you need to password lock it or whatever to keep it small, I call dibs on one of the spots.

13. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

Sure thing, I had that happen to my bf1942 server back in the day. I'm not going to do it right off the bat though, but 16 player servers can fill up pretty fast. I'll also find a way to get the password out but not to too many.

14. Hahah, BF1942. My dad played that game for years. Now he plays BF Bad Company 2 ;>

Private messaging? That's just crazy enough to work! :migrant:

15. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Yes please, I would really love to play games without water but with wood. And maybe have one water map in the cycle, if that is possible. These modded servers are often fun for the 10 first minutes, but become boring and confusing after that.

KAG is at its finest with 10vs10 players anyway.

16. Awesomec

Awesomec Shark Slayer

I just created a server called "Awesomec's 16 person server of awesomeness ( and FullCTF too!) in response to this thread. It's using the default gold ctf rules currently. I'm going to post a thread in the server subsection for it. Also, it's hosted east coast US.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  17. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Boner during the first two lines.. then it died. :(

18. Awesomec

Awesomec Shark Slayer

To everyone interested, Jrgp added a full stop button and a way to turn of the configure panel. So FullCTF works!

BlueLuigi likes this.
  19. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

I finally got off my ass and set up one of my old boxes as a server. Now running a server (hopefully) 24/7 on it, called "Bilbs Full CTF [US WEST]"

Premium only, sorry.
    I'll be adding a WAR gamemode as well, hopefully have someone explain to me how to have that on rotation.

Hopefully we can get some activity in this thing. I'm interested to see how it runs with a full 8v8 game.

Kyzak, BlueLuigi and Beef like this.
  20. Azeal

Azeal Catapult Fodder

I usually prefer highly populated stuff, but honestly my best play is on smaller servers (or with just less players). Having 2 good knights on a team of 8 and dealing with small buildings is much better than having 2 good knights out of 20 against huge towers.