1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Map/Server Ingenuity by OnR

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by FliesLikeABrick, Jun 20, 2012.

1. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The guys at OnR have done something very interesting with a map in their server, [FR] OnR Server - 24 Slots (click to join), that really tests how well you understand the details of how movement and jumping work in King Arthur's Gold.

[​IMG]

You can see from the minimap above that this is not your typical gold server - but rather a maze which relies on very precise and calculated moves to get through all of the obstacles. I saw this while scrolling through the server browser and decided to join, and before long 3 of the 4 devs were on there grunting and groaning and trying to get through it all (Geti surely would have joined us but he just went to sleep).
    Kudos to the person who took the time to design this map, and we look forward to seeing more of this as we release features over the next month which further enable custom game modes and server configurations/modifications.

(Side note: the new server browser properly deals with custom game modes - so if you have a modification on an existing one, by all means change the game mode in gamemode.cfg and it will show up as a new filterable game mode in the game mode filter list)

If server side scripting goes as planned, it will enable community developers/server admins to take an idea like this and turn it into a thorough game mode - things like having a timer/race aspect (perhaps with the water slowly rising to penalize those who fall behind), writing to custom log files or a custom API to generate logs/statistics, custom endgame scenarios without having to manipulate flag captures, and so on.

edit: It sounds like BlueLuigi, MOLE and possibly others have done something similar in the past - so consider this a hat tip to them as well :)

2. Sitanel

Sitanel Shopkeep Stealer

Now it's full, otherwise I would test it since I feel pretty confident about leaving my noobishness behind.

3. Harold7 likes this.
  4. FliesLikeABrick

The forum breaks kag://, so I removed the link for now.

If you want to click to join, just read this thread until you see someone's signature that says this in the name, and click on it :)

5. ikurhai

ikurhai Shipwright

So thank to the post on the devblog! I will increase the server capacity to 32 slots (or more?), put the players invincible and remove the water.

6. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Wait till I finish to restart... I'm soooo close :p

EDIT: Win :D
    Restart at will ;)

Ghozt likes this.
  7. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Haaay... :(

8. SoundPaint

SoundPaint Bison Rider

Yeah, OnRoxx :) Thank Flies !

9. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

We did have a similiar map some months ago which was pretty hard.
    Was only up for a few days but it's great to improve your moves.
    Will check later how I'm doing with this build, feels like the server is under siege with how fast the free slots get filled.

10. FliesLikeABrick

So when is this happening? The water is highly discouraging :(

11. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Uh, we at Mole were running a parkour map like that a few months back. I don't have the finished one saved, but behold.

So they're late to the party if anything, either by convergent thinking or them stealing our idea.

Credit to Bookmark, Jerloch and masonmistel for designing, testing and hosting it.

Attached Files:

GloriousToast, 8x, MacD and 5 others like this.
  12. StarFighter

StarFighter Catapult Fodder

Yeah thanks ! I'm the leader of the OnR and i just want to say that it's one of our member (name : Elowan) who made this map. So thanks to him.

PS : Thanks Flies for the post !

Ryu likes this.
  13. FliesLikeABrick

Yep, I just heard a bit more history of this being done before and edited my post to at least add a footnote about it - this must just be the first time it got more attention

edit: has anyone used that parkour map recently? Even if only to confirm that it is still possible to get through it with a current build (since small physics/movement tweaks could screw things up over time)?

edit2: 12:18 < thebonesauce> that map Beef posted does work.

14. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well to be fair Action was big on jump maps before MOLE, and HA before Action even existed, and way before that, Bilbs.

In any case it's not a super original idea and this map looks really good. I don't know why this one has publicity and none of the other ones had, but it's good to see something cool like this get recognized regardless. Great job Starfighter and co!

15. FliesLikeABrick

I think it's because:
    • I don't know how long ago people were playing with this idea last time, but KAG has grown quite a bit recently so it is easier for new-appearing ideas to gain momentum even if they're not strictly new
    • This map is a good mix of difficulties, it isn't insane hard which means less-pro players (like me, if you saw me in game on an alt account you'd think I'm a newb whenever I'm not a builder) can enjoy it and enjoy telling others about it
    • This map increases very linearly/smoothly in difficulty. He did a great job designing it and tweaking the challenges
    • something else I forgot and now can't remember while typing this

16. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I remember Jump Testing, but it wasn't one continuous series of challenges which ramp up significantly in difficult until even the majority of "pros" rage quit half way through. His thing is the equivalent of one section, although, yeah his is the original idea for a challenge map.

Never saw any Action or HA maps like this though.

Edit; I assume by Action you meant Clazy? Don't think he's in action. I stand corrected on that though, as far as I'm aware now, Clazy was the first to make a map like this. Props to Clazy.

17. Sitanel

Sitanel Shopkeep Stealer

Man, that thing is hard... but it encourages us to improve our jumping skill, thus making combat more acrobat ;3

18. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

As I stated in IRC, the MOLE parkour map still works, and it's quite fun if not the most mind numblingly difficult descent into madness. After getting through that map OnR's was a breeze. Hahaha

Ghozt, 8x and FliesLikeABrick like this.
  19. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Wasn't Vig first, with his map that was originally included as a 'tutorial' in kag?

20. OnR > Level 1
    MOLE > Level 2

Who make the Level 3 ?!!!

FliesLikeABrick likes this.