1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with water combat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueLuigi, Jun 16, 2012.

1. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

>not spending 20 measly coins to propel yourself across the water like a motor boat

testers confirmed for phleb tier

2. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I don't see what you're trying to say, because half the time it doesn't even work correctly, I get 3 skips at most from a bombjump, that's hardly helpful.

you're acting like that's the end-all fix for all the problems with knights in water combat, when it's not

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Blue team doesn't properly skip bombs. Often bombs underwater properly shielded can just kill you anyway
    We all skip over water, you can get a little farther, bug whoop, most people have a wall there, silly sani .:)

4. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

I think water is just an overall annoying thing to have in the game :/ It would be really fun if it was limited to a small portion of the map, but not the whole length. Small lakes to swim across and bridge over, not oceans to drown in. Too much of anything is a bad thing.

5. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

but so does your team.
    I apologise to the holy might of the lord of all wrongdoers, Rayne.
    please forgive me and dont turn me into a french baguette. i hate french baguettes.

give him a cookie for this. its genius.
    or im mad.
    at second thought, i think its both.

GreenRock likes this.
  6. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

It is quite much this. Imagine having a map full of just gold. It gets boring. "Real" water would however require a lot of physics coding, and it would probably be very bandwith-costy in the end, and the developers have that deadline now.

It is a shame that water got rushed, but there are a lot of other things to focus on too. Before writing long posts regarding balance, I would wait the features related to water be finished. There are still boats coming, and who knows what else?

I guess it is easier for the devs to add everything and then balance gameplay and fix bugs for a few months, rather than add one thing & balance it, add another thing & balance it, add third thing & balance it.

Gofio and AnRK like this.
  7. saniblues

Technically speaking, pools of water aren't really that hard to make. The way water in minecraft works is that it spawns water a finite amount of blocks sideways if there is an available spot open. Something like a three or five block radius, I dunno. However, if it is falling over the edge of a cliff or something ( however a waterfall is formed there are plenty of ways in sandbox games ), it does not do the horizontal function.

I could draw a picture later, but the point is that pools of water are easy and don't require any physics at all until they want to make it look nice.

Gofio likes this.
  8. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

All i say is just make getting out of the water easier, too often i drown because of the laggish movement that yu get from drowning and if i wasn't i could jump out

Gofio likes this.
  9. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Made a map to stress water only as a small obstacle. Moats. This is how water should be used.

10. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

its not that hard. (I think)
    if they make water the same way they make blocks,
    so that there can be either water, or a block,
    then they only have to make sure it falls right.
    maybe they can use some of their ruble scripts?
    if they make falling water an entity and make it place the water block where it lands, you got pretty much everything you need.
    (of course this is WAY to simple, and there would be bugs. lotsa bugs. but I think it could work)

you wanna use stuff from minecraft in KAG? :eek:
    permaban please? :p

11. BlueLuigi

The problem is the physics, you're all acting as if you don't want physics when you get a system like that, and you know that you do.

Gofio likes this.
  12. solidfake

solidfake Shipwright

How about this simple idea:

The water exists only in the lakes, and to prevent any from from flooding tunnels, the game just puts the indestructable stone as the base of the lake. So you can still have the sees and lakes as some form of barrier but you would be also able to tunnel under it.

Monsteri likes this.
  13. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

This is incorrect.
    The bridge would have been catapulted 50000² times before you could do all that.

14. saniblues

Hi, you must be new here (<== edgy sarcastic poster alert)

I'm the guy that spent over three pages arguing about something mundane. My stance still stands on that topic. I think I know what I want.

Gofio likes this.
  15. BlueLuigi

Shut your whore mouth.

Rayne likes this.
  16. saniblues

Sorry I'm still in edgy blogger mode.

Gofio likes this.
  17. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

many others have already come up with this idea.
    its even about the same thing i said about two posts above yours
    now its just spam. just like this dumb little post. =3

18. Yihka

Yihka Shopkeep Stealer

I think it'd be funny to see a gamemode where the water starts at a very high point and lowers slowly over time

Gofio likes this.
  19. Azeal

Azeal Catapult Fodder

The inverse would also be cool :D

20. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

join beos server when the lives are almost at zero.
    thers a problem, by the way: if the water starts high, you will drown.