1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Some Constructive Criticism [Forum]

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by Wired, May 5, 2012.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Well, I'll wait to see what Shad has to say about it.

Anyways, some small progress. https://forum.kag2d.com/forums/beginner-box.49/ or alternatively you can just go to the bottom of the archives and go there instead. Me and Wyeth have been working on this. What we want to do is actually have pages for the Rules, Staff List and Additional Information and hopefully be able to link the whole page from here: https://forum.kag2d.com/help/terms/ so that we only have to update one part instead of multiple.

Rule wording discussed here hasn't been added yet though, that will be done later, after we set things in stone. Feel free to discuss things you'd like to see changed about it though.

Important thing to note: This can only be seen by a select few people (forum moderators, guards, BlueLuigi and Wired). I have no problem allowing more people if you wish see it, but in return you must add input. If you do wish to add input, PM me and I'll enable it so that you can see this miniforum. Once it is finished, everyone will be able to see it, maybe, unless it gets scrapped.

Also Shad, would it be okay to re-enable the the Infinite Style? It's rather sexy.

Wired and Ghozt like this.
  2. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

So basically if you want to look at this miniforum you need to add some input on it, I am guessing in this thread, because I would like to be granted access to help and look at this new addition to the forums.

//I actually said to PM me you know, just to prevent spam requests in this thread.

3. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I guess my main concern was over the old system where warnings showed directly in the post that was warned - this basically led to a culture where people were always talking about - and in particular, fearing - warnings. It got a bit better once we changed that but there's still a stigma.

I would be okay with having the warnings show on the user profiles, I don't recall if that, in isolation, is an option. I'll check.

Wired and Ghozt like this.
  4. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Ok, so I went through the mini-forum Kouji made, this is what I found,

In the rules I think at the top you should have a spoiler, inside that spoiler is a few of the most important rules, because of what I see from new people to the forums, most of them post mostly the length of one sentence.
    When I was new to the forum if I was to see that chuck of text, I wouldn't read it, I might give it a brief gander, so just 3-5 of the most important notes, and everyone wants to click those spoilers.

I didn't understand the last thread.

The third thread had a spelling mistake. (The last word)

I think the second thread is much the same as what I said in that first paragraph, good description on the guards system, and well everyone, I also didn't know that administrator was a new rank as such.
    So basically in a spoiler just have kind of a key on a map.
    Puple= Purple means the user is part of the KAG team.

Just some little points I noticed.

Sorry some of this is not in context, like I also didn't know admin...
    I initially did this in a convosations with Kouji so most if irbid aimed at Kouji, and fixin it up on my phone would be impossible.

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Beginner Box was quite an interesting read, sums it up well, hopefully newer people will read it all before hopping into the forums.

Might consider moving the 'I'm new/on vacation/back thread' there too.

SARGRA13 and Ghozt like this.
  6. Wired

Wired Liberated Signature Monkey Donator

Took the words right out of my head. (And improved the grammer and the making sense-ness)

But, I personally have never seem public warning have this effect on people. (Causing large amounts of shame so much that some how it causes conflict or warrants making them private) But I guess it's just a matter of opinion, I would be happy just having the warning tab showing up on the member profile.
    So until that's decided and such. Yeh, more descriptive PMs would be great.

I really like the begginer box so far.
    Maybe include some useful stickies in the additional info thread, and maybe just some fun threads to recommend visiting e.g The self photo thread.

(Correct me if I'm wrong) Just guessing here but I think the last thread was there for a system being introduced that when your a new member you must post there before given permission to post in the rest of the forum. To ensure that new users read the box. (Which seems like a good idea)

Ghozt likes this.
  7. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Basically this. I can enable it so that new members are only allowed to post there once. I'll probably ask for a specific message to be posted. Anyways, after they make their first post there, they'll receive a trophy and that trophy can be used to get them into a new user group that allows them to post elsewhere like we do now. Additionally, they won't be able to post back in the beginner box once they do, since there will be no reason to do so.

Also was testing the warning permissions (temporarily gave BlueLuigi the ability to view warnings, and then used his account for testing) and allowing you to see your own warnings is not going to happen. If you are allowed to see your own warnings, you are allowed to delete them, even if you disable the "allow deleting all warnings" button. So, for now PM will have to be the way to go since it'd be pointless to give out warnings if you could just delete them.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  8. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

I would also like to point out a little technical glitch with spoilers.

Spoiler with a title with either bold, italic, and even underlined:

Test, [/B]Test, Test] I made sure that last bracket wasn't under lined. ;)

Without any additions:

HAZZAR!

Now that I look at it again, it doesn't do it as dramatically as when it was in my signature. (I also do know the BB codes thing)

Just to inform you guys.

9. Wired

In that case more accurate PMs sounds like the best option. So, is it worth us discussing changes to the current warning system or are you already planning to change it?

10. Kouji

Well, I can't actually change what PM's say by default, I'd need more admin rights to do that (I think).

Anyways, as far as I know, you can't easily make it display how many warning points you currently have, however I do know that moderators can edit the automated messages they give, so maybe we could have a spot in the automated message that states "You currently have _/10 warning points. Getting 10 or more warning points will result in a ban until your warning points expire." and then have the moderator change the _ into the correct number. It'd be somethings mods would have to get used to doing, but it wouldn't be too difficult since when you give warnings and the person has had any previous warnings, a tab will show up as well showing those past warnings. They could then add up the previous warning points along with the amount they are about to get and replace the underscore then.

Rayne and Wired like this.
  11. Wired

Just wondering how that's going since we can't see the discussion here.
    Also maybe add a guide to forum titles to the "Additional Information" section in the beginner box.
    • Door Spammer - 0 points
    • Tower Camper - 5 points
    • Knight Slayer - 25 points
    • Bomb Jumper - 40 points
    • Horde Gibber - 60 points
    • Castle Crusher - 80 points
    • Flag Runner - 100 points
    • Haxor - 120 points (Requires premium or forum donator, or secret trophy)

Kouji likes this.
  12. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Wired, I would just like to point out that you forgot to add that it is possible to get Haxor without paying via a secret trophie, then include the details made bye Kouji in this thread: (Can't find it, if you do post the link.)

Wired likes this.
  13. Kouji

Well there hasn't been too much discussion, so I guess they find the rules fine enough, so I'll be re-reading through these posts again later and dealing with the rewording of some of them, like the "flaming" and making it more obvious. Need to add an explanation about warnings as well and make that obvious.

Anyways, I added some new stuff to the "Additional Information" feel free to tell me anything else that should be included there.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  14. Wired

Possibly a link to this: A list of some of the more useful guides.
    I guess now there's not much to discuss here about the rules until they are changed since we have pretty much been over most things questionable about them.
    After another read through: Maybe change this:
    into this:
    I think that's everything that has been mentioned to need changing about the main rules, bar the warning system. (Orange means it was discussed but we didn't really come down to a verdict.)
    So... How's that rule change going...?

Ghozt, Kouji and BlueLuigi like this.
  15. Kouji

Still discussing flaming.

I did change the stuff in red though.

Been kind of busy though so I haven't been able to work on this as much as I like, but it's getting there.

16. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Like I have said previously, there needs to be a cut and a un-cut version. When I came to the forums I barely read anything over 10 lines, when I saw this I quickly left that page.

I also think this need to be aimed at the younger children, not that I can talk, so low teens.

Most of the older guys on the forum have a bit of common sense and previous forum experience. (Except for that fag Kouji)

Anyway, good analysis Wired, wanna do my poetry assignment for me. :P

Raron likes this.
  17. Kouji

Finally updated rules, now that I made potatomcwhiskey a moderator for the suggestion forums, I've gotten time to work on this again (Suggestions would probably go to hell if it was left unmoderated for more than 2 days. Seriously).

I added a few things to Additional Information section, and decided to do some small tutorials about using the forums that get asked every so often by new people. Haven't actually listed the steps to those, just outlining what I need to make tutorials on. If I forgot anything there, let me know.

Ghozt: I won't be making an uncut version, as it's only 920 words long which is only 3-4 pages in a book. If you don't have the attention spam to read a 4 page book, you don't deserve to post honestly. The rules are mainly there so that moderators can say which rule was broken if they give a warning to a person.

Cheesemaster66 likes this.
  18. Wired

Baaaaaack. The changed to the rules are great. Just wondering if where ready to open the beginners box?

19. Kouji

Still need to do a few things, but it's getting there.

Wired likes this.
Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97