1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Progress, setbacks, boats and ropes.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

adjustment put the boulder in shadowed room

2. FlamingDragon96

FlamingDragon96 Shark Slayer

If that was an ingame picture the room would be completely dark.

3. TheFilip

TheFilip Ballista Bolt Thrower

The boat speed is fine.

It's the size that bugs me.

4. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

If it goes that slow in game it's gonna get buttfucked before it gets anywhere near an enemy fort, but for the size I don't really understand, it can still theoretically hold an unlimited amount of people cos it's essentially just a moving solid tile, you surely wouldn't wanna risk too many people on 1 boat anyway cos that's just asking for 1 bomb killing alot of people very easily...

5. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

fwiw the boat speed in the video is for testing purposes only, they'll be faster for release.

Ghozt and Noburu like this.
  6. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

I hope you can row the boat instead of simply relying on a sail.

It'd be pretty neat if you could "mount" yourself on the boat like you can with the catapult. This would lock you in place on the boat and allow you to row the boat in a horizontal direction to move it.

What could be made even more cooler, is that a boat could have multiple slots for people to mount into and row the boat together.
    Imagine this: A big ass viking ship with 8 dudes rowing at the same time to the enemy shore. Epic, no?
    Reminds me of that one epic song by Amon Amarth. I think it was "dragon's flight across the waves".

7. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

What if like 5 of the 8 people are complete jackasses and row backwards? Epic boatstruggle.

8. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Exactly!:rollseyes:

Although since this feature will be on gold servers only, this is very unlikely to happen. I've yet to see a genuine griefer on gold ctf servers ever.

9. Rayne

I dunno about your idea, but this is hilarious, i get around 10-15 griefers a day on my gold server.

Ghozt, AnRK, PumpkingSlice and 4 others like this.
  10. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

They'd have to be careful though, or the archer is gonna use a single fire arrow to get an 8+. Maximum efficiency, no?

[​IMG]Haters gonna hate[​IMG]

11. Rayne

i'm pretty sure he meant different spots, only able to be occupied by one person at a time, meaning an archer couldn't get a +8 from one shot, as they'd be in different spots.

12. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Yeah, although not everyone needs to row. Some folks can hold that anti-arrow shield thing that is supposed to come later in development, along with that battering ram and ballista. Or just have knights with shields up. Or archers shooting other archers before they shoot the boat.

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

RC: you're basically reciting our plans, stop it man, its creepy.

We've got plans for points that you can bind yourself to on a vehicle (to prevent falling out if a bomb knocks it or due to lag or w/e) with various purposes, basically feeding your input into the original object so that you can interact with it natively (rather than BIND ALL THE KEYS and script exposure to literally every button on the keyboard, which would make gamepad support impossible) for rowing or archer nest or mounted ballista purposes.

Canopies and Rams will be able to use the same interface with the added bonus of letting you run around with them.

Fire arrows + boats will likely be notveryeffective due to the water that the boats sit on. You might be able to set an unhappy peasant17 on fire but we think it'll be far too overpowered for 1 archer to be able to irreversibly kill a ship with 1 shot.

The size of this boat is to make sure everything works at a reasonable scale before implementing longboats or galleons or anything gigantic.

We also want a rowing-only raft with no attachment points for the poor of pocket and technology.

Oh yeah the tech tree crap is done and just needs a menu for it and to be synced, forgot to mention :V

Re: Do a physics rewrite! - we are, but literally only for the full version and the demo we'll end up making for that, because it completely changes how the actors move (think no notching -> no door ladders -> sensible base layouts -> more cohesive full version game) and is incompatible with a lot of the previous content, which is getting remade in scripted format to provide you guys with a good stock of examples and work towards having as little hardcoded stuff as possible.

delankski, Noburu, Contrary and 4 others like this.
  14. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

Unless the fire was stolen from Zeus. Hidden deep in a dungeon under the ocean! Rewarding Map control = Winning.

Ghozt and KnightGabe13 like this.
  15. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

I didn't mean shooting the people individually, i meant setting the hull of the boat itself on fire, making a large enough hole to sink it and drown everyone inside. That is, if Geti doesn't ruin my fun. :p

No notching? No door ladders? This update is gonna change KAG forever!
    Leeroy Jenkins: "Atleast I got siege weapons"

16. Rayne

I honestly am against setting boats on fire, too OP as Geti said.

re no notching and shit: this is good, because defending with team-only ways up is too easy, makes defending OP in many situations. I've wanted the removal of these team-only travel techniques for awhile.

Noburu and Ghozt like this.
  17. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

but if you like lobbed a bomb or keg in it would blow up right?

18. Jomppexx

Jomppexx Shopkeep Stealer

No -
    You can still float with the water,
    eh?

19. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I thought the plan was to make fire dissaparate after a few whaps? That one archer firing a fire arrow is no big deal, but a couple archers with fire arrows can lead to a comical situation of everyone running around trying to put fires out.

Ghozt likes this.
  20. kuulness

kuulness Tree Planter

D: No door ladders?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.