1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Great game, but terrible multiplayer system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khaztr, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Khaztr

Khaztr Catapult Fodder

Yeah, I know, it's an "alpha" build. Even so, I wish the game had a better system for new players to learn how to play instead of the current one which is:

1) Join a server that says it's noob friendly
    2) Try learning how to play by experimenting a bit
    3) Piss somone off cuz you aren't pro -> get banned from the server
    4) Repeat

Funny thing is the "Quick Join" feature will still try to get you into servers that you've been banned from, so there's the end of that feature.

Just a little rant. The game seems pretty cool for a LAN party or something, but online play just isn't set up for noobs like me quite yet. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

2. Adelarth

Adelarth Builder Stabber

If you are a begginer I recomend you to sart as knight or archer as they cant harm your team very much. You should do the tutorial , it explain the basics of the builder. You should observe the other builders build and learn what types of construction are the most useful. I know KAG can be somewhat dificult to learn but in a day or two you should uderstand the game. Good luck ;)
    And if you want, go to the Classes subforum to learn some tips.
    </br>--- merged: Jul 22, 2012 5:37 AM ---</br>
    And if someone is pissed up tell them you are new and you still dont understand the game. No one can be a pr0 from the sart, they should uderstand it.Good luck;)

Froghead48 likes this.
  3. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad first experience playing KAG, I really hope this doesn't turn you off from the whole experience. KAG is heavily focused on teamwork; a well placed explosive or a hard working builder can make or break a team's chances at success. Naturally, being dragged down by an ignorant teammate is extremely frustrating- I'm sure you've experienced the same kind of thing in other games.

But again, don't let this discourage you! While several servers are poor receivers of new players, many are excellent environments to learn the game. I'm sure that with a few more tries, and maybe a guide or two from the forums, you will be well on your way to being a "pro" yourself. ;)

4. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

There's definitely a learning curve. Whether or not the game is noob-friendly depends a lot on which server you join, and even what time of day you join it. Ask questions and take advice from experienced players, especially if you want to learn to play builder.

Hang around the forums. We're pretty friendly here.:)

PumpkingSlice likes this.
  5. Bunnyninja

Bunnyninja Bison Rider

Going on from what allknowingforg said, make some good friends on KAG, i know i had the same problems as you but with the of my friend Bunnyboy i soon became better and better

6. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

I took two months playing this game on a weekly basis to learn just about everything to not distinguish me as a newbie. Yeah, the game is in alpha stage: so be it. Maybe there are a few small tutorials that say nothing but pre-determined thoughts of how you might play this game. Play the game and give it time. Other people will want to help you. You can learn from some others by simply watching their actions and attempting them again. Without (Thorough) tutorials, all you need is some time.

Rayne and dragon4045 like this.
  7. Creille

Creille Base Burner

GTFO. :P nah lol jks it isn't a to noob friendly game is it :P
    the best thing to do is just grab some mates play on a server get owned repeat. Beleive it or not when I started playing with my freind Fenoir it took me 3 weeks before I learnt to hold a fight as a knight.. :P

advertising cough* cough* vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

lavalord likes this.
  8. KAG is not noob friendly, that's for sure. KAG works best, by far, as a team game. If you have friends you can play this with, it's fantastic.

To that end, I believe you should join ALL. :P
    We accept newbies into our clan so that we may provide them with a friendly atmosphere with which to learn KAG. (It's Australian based though, so if you're from Europe or far away you may have trouble getting on the same servers as us).

You also get training with AOE members, a well known clan. If you're interested, pm Sargra13.

If not, then I merely say "Welcome to KAG!"

9. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

That's exactly what I have been warning about; new players will not get the chance to learn this game by the other ''pro'' players. I have seen threads where people are whining about ''noobs'' in the server who ''ruin the game''. I knew something like this had to happen.

And in the end you will see people whine about how there are not enough players and they will blame the devs for it while they only have themselves to blame.

Oracle Boii has spoken.

Cirom, UnnamedPlayer and superpokes like this.
  10. EpsilonSigma

EpsilonSigma Catapult Fodder

To be honest it's best to just ignore those people and get on with your life. Most bans aren't permanent anyway; I got banned for about a week from a server for accidentally knocking down a wall in my first week; apparently it was WIP; I thought it was in the way :)

Definately not noob friendly, but once you learn the basics of building anyone can get on fine. Archering is just staying back and shooting arrows and being a knight is nothing short of suicide missions into enemy territory in the hope that there's either no archers firing at you, and no indestructable stone walls :P

In short, as long as you're not a griefer you'll get on fine.

11. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

If it's any comfort I and a couple of others are about to start producing some short-but-info-packed tutorial videos for KAG Classic. We're in the middle of finalising our first series of clips (focusing on general, non-class-specific things--including an initial dip into the subject of vaulting/Parkour, which seems to be an area newer players have particular trouble with), with at least three other series (one per class) planned. I'll post here once the first set is ready. ;)

12. bruthsaw

bruthsaw Shopkeep Stealer

If I first joined I would have no idea what vaulting is. KAG has one hell of a learning curve (not League of Legends steep but kinda of steep). Observation was defiantly the best way I learned something. Archer was how I learned a lot of the game. When I got comfortable I moved to Knight. And I still am horrible at builder.

Cirom and SirSammy like this.
  13. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Hey... here's an idea!
    Ya know when you first start kag and you go to the server list...there's always a pop up window telling you what to do.
    Why can't this be around while playing for the first time, like a pop up window detailing how classes work. When you get a bomb it tells you how to use it etc etc

Arcite likes this.
  14. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

Yeah this sounds like a sweet idea
    Let's call it "a tutorial"
    --End sarcasm mode--

Which new players should at least effing look at before joining a server, shouting "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING LOL", getting kicked because they're so bad people think they are actively griefing, and then going to the forums to post about it.

15. miketh2005

miketh2005 Arsonist

Some people are stupid. If it means more people will know what to do, the more likely they will get deeper into the game, the more likely they will buy the product. It's only common sense. Don't underestimate the stupidity of people. Especially rich kids.

16. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yea... if you think about it... noobs who start this gave almost never go to the tutorials. So having one in the current servers would be nice. :D

KnightGabe13 likes this.
  17. cleggy

cleggy Arsonist

you never completely get rid of noobishness, you will always have a couple of 'derp moments, all it takes is a little practice

KnightGabe13 likes this.
  18. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

The only post he has is this rage post. :D Please excuse my trollishness.
    Just stay away from Bonesauce and Pumpkingslice, they rage at newbs alot. :D
    *Cough* Kouji and Rayne too >_> *Cough*

19. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

True story. I see them rage like mother flappers... D:
    Its scary. T ^T

20. Masery

Masery is actually Maroon Donator

I'm honestly surprised they haven't honed in on this thread yet.
    They're like Noob-Bloodhounds.

KnightGabe13, cleggy and afroman1 like this.