1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

lemonXmetall's In-Depth Guide to Building

Discussion in 'Builder' started by lemonXmetall, Jul 25, 2012.

1. lemonXmetall

lemonXmetall Catapult Fodder

Hello, I'm lemonXmetall and this is a guide for builders. The information here is based mostly on my experience but will most probably contain ideas which other guides have already presented. I do not take credit for anything and do not need it. This is solely for nurturing new builders and sharing information. Hope you find it useful and comments/questions are welcomed.

First off, what you need to know:
    -Lone knights can climb towers that are only 4 blocks high.
    -A tower of doors can be slashed right through or climbed by slashing a few holes on the walls. And doors usually slow down your teammates. So DON'T spam doors.

The Basics
    At the start of the game, your team will receive a large but limited supply of stone, wood, and, in some cases, gold. The first thing you need to do is build your shops. You should build the bed at the tent as it only requires you to stand in it to heal. The bomb shop should then be place next to the bed in the direction of the opposite team. So if you are in blue, it should be placed to the right and to the left if you are in red. The arrow shop should then be placed on the other side.
    This helps you conserve space for building and lets your team always be prepared for any enemy. Below is shown how you should build your shops.
    [​IMG]

The next course of action that I will talk about is optional. That is building a safe place for your flag. Let's start off with what not to do.
    [​IMG]
    Don't do this. It'll keep enemies out of your base but it'll also cripple your teammates ability to counter-attack should your base be surrounded. Plus the flag can still be taken.
    Here's a simple base you can create.
    [​IMG]
    There are better ways to make a good base. You can add complex entries and exits for your teammates as long as they don't slow them down too much. Some people even create a fortress at the base, but this takes time and resources. For now, let's leave it at that and move on to the edge of the battle field.

Building towers
    3) Never build a stone roof over your tower. An enemy knight can easily bomb jump onto it and distract your teammates. More often, though, stone roofs serve as a quick platform for enemy builders to block off your teammates' path but allow enemy knights to freely jump down and wreak havoc.

But the MOST IMPORTANT thing is comfort and convenience for your teammates. XD

Here's an example of an acceptable tower.
    [​IMG]
    Features that are good about this tower:
    - great location and plenty of safe spots for friendly knights to jump down to
    - it has plenty of back wall
    - it has plenty of exits for your teammates to pass through
    - it has a good archer spot at the top where an archer can shoot an enemy that is close to the wall
    - not very easy to scale by ladder
    - easily repairable
    Things that can ruin the tower:
    - the tower is a quite thin and easily sabotaged by well placed bombs
    - skilled enemy knights are able to huddle at the base of the wall
    - the first tower exit is not 8 blocks from ground level so friendly builders and archers will stun themselves going right out

Keep in mind that any GOOD or even GREAT tower has weaknesses. Mostly enemy builders and catapults xd. But the only thing you can do is help your teammates get the best exit and spots to counter-attack. Therefore, this tower needs more archer spots and shops!
    [​IMG]
    I simply used ladders to add archer spots, and I also added shops for quick reloading and healing. I only recommend putting the bed on the tower because it is quick access for archers in case they get hit by an enemy archer. I protected the shops with doors but they are only necessary when skilled enemy archers are present.

Team Scalable Towers
    Towers with doors every one, two, or three blocks are all scalable. Some people do have difficulty climbing the last one because of lag or because they let the directional keys go early. You can combine the the types, but putting the first door after three stone makes it slightly harder for enemy knights to break it.
    Tips: To get past the first door, jump against it while you are still going up and not while you are falling after reaching max jump height. Hold the up key and left/right key to continuously climb the tower.

The second way to build a team scalable tower is to out platforms on the wall.
    [​IMG]
    The left side is quickly scalable if your teammate knows how to climb it. You vault using the bottom two platforms to get to the top one. The right side is noob friendly, but it is slower to climb. It is not recommended to place platforms on each block of the wall as enemy knights can jump and break the platforms then charge vault up. They can do this up to 4 blocks at a time.
    The current tower can't be climbed this way by enemy knights UNLESS they dig in order to jump and break the platforms on the bottom, or a knight can break the platforms with a well placed bomb.

Hint: One-block thick towers are not a good defense. This is for a quick demonstration only.

Defense against diggers

You can make a tower harder to dig under by placing stones in the ground. Put in a stone every other block on the ground for a cheap way to defend against diggers.
    [​IMG]
    Keep in mind that you only need to stone one side of the ground at first.

--I will be adding stuff later, looking forward to adding traps XD--

Yess and Canadian98 like this.
  2. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

You made the tower door too high, should be 8 blocks of the ground max.
    Otherwise, nice tutorial.

3. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

This.
    Damn you herald, thats my line D:

Your guide is pretty undetailed, you should read around the forums and post some more to get people to actually trust you.
    You really only said some quite obvious things to most people in here, and then posted two towers and explained why they are good.

Guro and HERaLD like this.
  4. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That's it. For being a good builder you have to play Knight and archer just to know what they need and what it's annoying for them. Ladders for advancing, appropiated archering spots, shops here and there, doors where needed...

5. GreenArrow17

GreenArrow17 Shark Slayer

Nice preetty good