1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

We Need Boats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beelzebub, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

Combat on water maps isn't fun. It inevitably devolves into archers and catapults firing at each other with knights being relegated to the role of life-wasters. Boats should have been released with water to prevent water matches from being just siege stalemates. I really would like to know the reasoning behind why they weren't paired and why we got what we have now, which is lame and broken.

Now, you could say, "Beelzebub, it's designed well, you just aren't enjoying it. Stop being a party pooper." Well, this party pooper would like to point out that while the mechanics may work as intended, it's not fun, and a game that is not fun will not be played by lots of people. How many people are online in KAG these days on average? Fewer than when I signed up in November. The server count shouldn't be decreasing with time. But with new game mechanics being unfun and poorly thought out, this game isn't growing. We need boats.

Seriously. Boats. Should've been released with water. Definitely needed sooner than ramps and whatever else was in that latest update on the development status.

2. Masery

Masery is actually Maroon Donator

I'm pretty sure all those things being added (like ramps in things) are being put in priority as to when they were updated. I.E, Boats were mentioned before Ramps.
    You'll be fine.

3. SirSammy

SirSammy Shark Slayer

Agreed beezlebub. It was very uncooridnated to release water without boats. Your practically immobile in water. I'm surprised they haven't rolled it back until you have some way of getting across it. It seems like water is turning out to be an enviornmental hazard.

If the dev's are reading this:

Please add a way for us players to receive oxygen in water. I find it highly un-realistic for us not to be able to rise to the surface and receive oxygen bubbles. Knights drowning in water is very realistic - due to their heavy armor but it would be cool if they could rise to the surface to get air anyways.

Arcite likes this.
  4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

We need boats. And we will have them. Meanwhile, make better maps. Combat in water maps is fun when you have good maps. I've said this before, but I won't get tired to preaching it. I have made two good maps, gonna do some more in the future if I'll get inspiration, but for all those eager map makers there: The thumb rule of a good water map is, for now: The water area needs to be either small or easily passable.

Water area certanily isn't small or easily passable in those two crappy default generators that most servers use, therefore many people (justifiedly) think that water is a stupid and unfun gameplay element.

5. copper40

copper40 Casual Misogynist

I have to agree with Beezlebub here. The water mechanics really need some tweaking and boats need to come out quickly. I can't stress that enough.

6. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I though would want the poor hit detection be fixed before anything else. I'm not a content whore, I can do fine without, but PvP games are crap without playability.

7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

There's no point in the devs pissing about rolling things back and pissing people off that still want water no matter how fucked it is, just don't play on water maps until it gets sorted out, there's plenty of servers out there. Either that or just do without day/night and a few other little features and play some free to play severs for a while. The top priority for the devs seems to be re-writing the physics code (or whatever it is), and I'll quite happily wait till they sort that out, cos that's gonna be the thing that enables making all sorts of shit possible, and I'd rather they were rushing boats and shit like that then the workings of the engine.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  8. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

So many of the issues in KAG are just bad map design. Water can be fun.

Lord_bugg, bandit4, Beef and 2 others like this.
  9. DoopDeeDoo

DoopDeeDoo Tree Planter

Simple. Two mountains. One giant ravine. Water. And um. A giant bridge. Supported with supports.

10. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I find water maps quite fun, particularly when playing as a knight, because it reinforces the element of tactics, whilst not removing the ticket wasting appeal that is present even without water. I reiterate Monsteri's point about the need for good maps; if your maps aren't fun, then water won't be fun when used with them.

Try the MOLE server if you want most of the maps to be without water.

11. DoopDeeDoo

DoopDeeDoo Tree Planter

Well, I need someone to buy me premium.:p Anyways, water seems very fun. It adds to castle structure. A moat. Before, a substitue for a moat was a 9000 block deep spike pit. but if you added boats, you can get across Rayne's lake of terror.

12. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Just play in non-water maps until the boats are released? There is no point of whining about boats now since they will be released and you are not forced to play on water maps.
    /thread.

13. NogSpot

NogSpot Catapult Fodder

All of you have good points. I will be getting premium soon and cant wait to experience these things firsthand. Then I can see for myself what I agree with.

14. PeterPan14

PeterPan14 Bison Rider

Yeah I agree devs really need to create boats. :p and Nogspot and DoopDeeDoo nobody cares if you have premium or not, even if we did we can just read your name.

15. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

In that case, Petey, nobody cares that you join in the general consensus on a topic that is ultimately irrelephant of anything else, since everyone already knows boats are going to happen. If it makes you any better, I care about Nogspot and DoopDeeDoo's premium status, and therefore your statement is yet again incorrect. If you're going to be a douchebag, do it in a less obtrusive way, and don't insult people through calling them insignificant to their faces. All that does is stimulate the opinion that you are arrogant, and ignorant.

Kyzak, Arcite and BoiiW like this.
  16. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Amen. Nogspot's and DoopDeeDoo's information is more important to me than the topic of this thread.

17. ArpiG

ArpiG Shopkeep Stealer

Well,I have played on my friends Account on Premium servers and water is awesome.The boats should be released because I wanna make a nice underground port. :D

18. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

All servers that i consider good use water maps :x.
    A good server for me is usually just a unlimited lives server tough.
    But meh, i got plenty of other games to waste my time on. Patience will be had.

19. Ivy

Ivy Shopkeep Stealer

For me, there is a huge problem with the logic and strategic side of this game, it's obvious. I have always the impression that the end is repeating itself ad infinitum, again and again the same old story. Only two alternatives are possible.

-Who would be stupid enough to launch an attack that has already failed? It would throw the team off losing that many lives.
    -Who would be intelligent enough to build a solid base and play defense until exhausting the enemy forces to flee defeated?

Last time on Mole (CTF 16vs16) we lost with a score of 53-0, with a bunch of archers we changed things at 0-0 only playing defense, however when we tried to attack it was the end of us.
    Evidence to the contrary is only due to the team level...

I find that this game has lost its appeal for me and I find I can no longer log in looking forward to an interesting and challenging battle. This is, I believe, because the game is lacking in its development of new strategic situations and the upgrading of the graphics of the old unchanging avatars, in the latter case there has been some improvement simply because other players are willing to share their creations which adds much needed life. Sorry, I don't like to be so pessimistic. In addition, each time I enter the game site, I find it regrettable that it is full of bad behaviour and insulting remarks from what appears to be poorly educated youth.

Les jeux passent... Un ange passe...
    Sorry for my english.

Kyzak, Contrary, xChapx and 1 other person like this.
  20. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

ivy your english is just fine, 'ell it seems to be better then mine most of the time. ^^

this boat needing business is totally true.
    my ideas about water
    1. if you dont like it dont play, its a premium feature, play on some pub servers (easy kills)
    2. water makes archer/cata even more overpowered then they already are
    3. pretty much nullifies tunnelers which is often the best way to counter archers/catas
    4. boats should range from canoes (fast, carry 1-2 people, no cover, small health) to warships (slow, carry many people, cover from archer fire and large amount of health)

bandit4 and PumpkingSlice like this.