1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[Idea] Overlord - Inspired by "Overworld"

Discussion in 'Game modes' started by Cirom, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

[​IMG]
    (Mockup screenshot, not representative of actual gameplay and that.)
    (This is also an image of the PLAYER's Point of View, not the KING's.)

Basically, my idea for the gamemode is this:

Each team has a King each. The King has control over everything that happens in the "Overworld map" and can order the armies around and stuff. The King can move units/supplies to different "Overworld Squares" and must try to win all of the other team's land.

To start, the King must send units to any square. A King can do this by right-clicking the square and selecting "Send Units". The King can also send resources to the tent. Units and resources can be sent midgame. The King has a limited number of units/resources, but they get replenished with the resource points on the sides of the overworld map. (The King can also choose and change these at will.)
    The STONE icon means that is a mine, and will steadily supply the King with stone and rarely gold, which he can then deploy at any map square.
    The WOOD icon means that is a forest, and will steadily supply the King with wood and arrows.
    The STAR icon means that is a village (WIP, probably won't be a star), and will steadily supply the King with units. Very important!

When units are on a square, players can then choose to join that square, where a normal game of CTF will be played. Teams can win by either capturing the flag or depleting the enemy units. Capturing the flag will save any units still remaining in the battle, useful if you wish to conserve. The King can also shout orders to their team using the TEAM CHAT key, which will appear in BIG COLOURED TEXT at the bottom of the screen, where the help information is.

The King can also join fights himself, though it may distract him from completing kingly duties, like supplying his multiple battles with resources. A King plays similar to the Knight, but also different. The King regenerates 1/2 heart every 3 seconds to himself and anyone within 7 blocks of him. He has 6 Hearts. L. MOUSE causes the King to attack with his sword exactly the same as a Knight would. Holding R. MOUSE causes the King to stop still, but create a "buff aura" which boosts his regeneration to 1/2 every second, and also extending his reach to 10 blocks. Releasing R. MOUSE will stop this. To balance this, the King's respawn time is very high, like 60 seconds or something. You want to keep the King alive!

Of course, this will be a Premium gamemode. Feel free to make suggestions on how I should change this! :D
    (I'm terrible at explaining in a non-confusing manner..)

MadDog, MINIMAN, Mulpy and 17 others like this.
  2. Masery

Masery is actually Maroon Donator

Crazy coo'.
    I could imagine the Devs implementing this.

3. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I couldn't, seems like a lot of code.
    I wish they gave us some kind of server connection, so we could send players and information to different servers. With that, we could script something like this game mode. But that would also be complicated because of security issues.

Cirom likes this.
  4. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Well this is an amazing idea nonetheless :):thumbs_up:

Froghead48 likes this.
  5. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

I don't know the extents of scripting, but if someone actually manages to code this mode, awesomeness can happen.

I also have another idea for it.

RESEARCH

Research Points are given to a King once every 5 minutes. Research Points can be spent to add extra items and make things easier for your troops. At the start, troops will have less than Free servers, but when all items have been researched, you will be far more powerful.

- Starter Items -
    Camp [Lv. 1 Quarters] - Heal 1/2 heart for 4 coins
    Arrow Workshop - Buy 1 arrow for 2 coins
    Bomb Workshop - Buy 1 bomb for 30 coins
    Global Armoury - Switch between Knight, Archer and Builder.

- Upgrades -
    Quarters [Lv. 2 Quarters] - Heal 1/2 heart for 2 coins & switch to builder here
    Hospital [Lv. 3 Quarters] - Healing is free
    Archery Range - Buy 1 arrow for 1 coin & switch to archer here
    Explosives Workshop - Buy 1 bomb for 20 coins, buy 1 keg for 50 coins.
    Demolition Workshop - Buy 1 bomb for 15 coins, buy 1 keg for 30 coins, buy 1 "power keg" for 50 coins.
    Lantern Workshop - Buy 1 dim lantern for 25 coins.
    Lighting Workshop - Buy 1 dim lantern for 15 coins, buy 1 lantern for 25 coins.
    Mechanics Workshop - Buy 1 dim lantern for 5 coins, buy 1 lantern for 15 coins, buy 1 "team-coloured" lantern for 20 coins, buy 1 "great lantern" for 25 coins.
    Mine Upgrade - Increases resources from Mines. (Extra STONE and GOLD) [Cave -> Mine -> Fort]
    Forest Upgrade - Increases resources from Forests. (Extra WOOD and ARROWS) [Farm -> Forest -> Woodland]
    Town Upgrade - Increases resources from Towns. (Extra UNITS) [Village -> Town -> City]
    Tunnel - Allows players to travel quickly.
    Supplies Shop (?) - Players can build miniature workshops to supply them with wood / stone ingame.
    Seige Workshop - Buy 1 catapult for 120 wood and 25 coins.

Perhaps I should have a workshop which can "stockpile" resources back into the King's Overworld store? Or you could stockpile resources there and they will never decay.

Livorion likes this.
  6. Night_Horde

Night_Horde Shopkeep Stealer

Seems sweet as hell. If you could script this it would be sweet as fuck. Maybe if it's not possible you could still have like a leader system where a match was played to gain a square of the board. And whoever won would get take the space. Think of it like a big risk game. you could even code in all the upgrades and things. That way it the serve could just load a new map based on the next move. It realistically could go on for days if the teams were balanced.

Cirom and UnnamedPlayer like this.
  7. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

That's the plan. I originally intended it to have multiple battles going at once on different squares, but I don't think that's possible without some SERIOUS coding. If I ever try to code this, I'm gonna do a single-battle thing first. Not sure how it'd work with the system I've planned out, though. o,o How would the two kings decide which square the battle goes on? What happens if they don't agree?

Actually, I could have it so that units can only be sent to own-colour squares, and if two opposing units become horizontally adjacent, a battle starts.

| BLU | 120 | 120 | RED |

Lemmingworld likes this.
  8. Jumpout

Jumpout Shopkeep Stealer

Devs, y u no hire Cirom?

Cirom and Froghead48 like this.
  9. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

When I started reading it it reminded me of the Overworld idea.

10. Jumpout

Jumpout Shopkeep Stealer

"Inspired by the "OVERWORLD" idea"

Froghead48, Cirom and UnnamedPlayer like this.
  11. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Would be cool but kind of wierd for mulitplayer becuase people we be upset for not getting to be the king

12. Halosnake

Halosnake Shopkeep Stealer

All I saw was "Overworld" and went into another depression...

(Good Idea Non the Less)

13. Night_Horde

Tough shit, not everyone will get to be King and life isn't fair. Even if you made the kingship rotate it would severely screw up strategy.

Make it so like no matter what, there would be at least some troops there. Once again I'm returning to the risk format. You have to have at least 1 guy on a space, so you might have say a very small force over someone's main army. It would be really neat to see the strategy used by either team. The smaller would defend until the attackers rolled over them. You could even make some sort of custom map to have that would give the team that was defending like a small little premade fortress (sort of like it was their outpost).

Unit's could replenish and you could even distribute resources when/where you wanted. If an attacking team got to your "capital" the defending team would be given a premade castle (not overtly massive, but something to build off) and the attacking team would be given stone and catapults (it is a siege).

Of course there would be balancing issues you'd have to deal with and bugs out the wazoo, but it think it could be done.

P.S. The winning team would be taken to a castle of gold where they'd be knighted by King Arthur himself.

14. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

@Night_Horde: (Because I don't want to use a quote because his post is long.)

I did a few sketches last night testing a few ideas, and I found out something that works. I'm going with the "Units can only be sent onto your own squares, battle when 2 are horizontally next to eachother" thing. Basically, this is the idea...

Kings would place units down as normal. If a unit group is placed next to an opponent's square, a timer will appear on that square. (About 2 minutes) The King must place units down on that square, otherwise the square gets captured instantly without opposition. (Hello? Anyone there? We're taking this castle and none of the other army has come!) The timer gets paused during battle, because only 1 battle can happen at a time (Which is also why I set the timer to 2 minutes, and not 30 if multi-battle was possible.) If two units are next to eachother, but a battle is already going on, their battle gets "queued up", and will be the next battle which commences.

And yes, I do like the idea of castles being on the defending sides. Better castles the further left for BLU, and better castles the further right for RED. No castles in the middle squares. (Just so you know, the AMOUNT of squares hasn't yet been decided.)

Yes, that's one part I'm going to have to figure out. I'm guessing by the end of every round, players will vote for a king. A player may not vote for himself, he must vote for someone else. Potential kings could try to persuade the players to vote for them, by showing great battle strategy in battle. Perhaps the kings could (unofficially, of course) designate certain people as good battle strategists? Following the commands of people who are good at battle is always a good idea.

As a general thing, I intend for only people who are REALLY good at battle strategy to make it as Kings, which is why a vote system is pretty much needed. If a bad king somehow makes it, you could expect to lose pretty fast.

Oh, I wish. xD I'm not sure what the rules are about these things, nor am I sure what this game's coded in, nor am I any good at spriting art. I'm just throwing an idea out here! I doubt KAGDevs would hire someone for just having good ideas. xD And I'm already Premium..

Night_Horde likes this.
  15. Night_Horde

Well if all else failed you could code a simple line of like ten squares so you'd have to keep winning fights to get to the enemy base. might take forever though but would be really easy to code. Like if red=win load this map and so on...

:blue::door::door::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::door::door::red:

flags = castles
    doors = defensive forts
    dirt = open ground

16. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

That was the backup plan. xD But it seems a little boring as just that. o,o

.. Now that I realise it, the rest of that previously mentioned drawing page is just pictures of me drawing KAG people and my Minecraft skin, in KAG form. Yay for productivity!

17. Night_Horde

Eh you could make some good maps that could be nicely balanced. Maybe have the middle square be a river the ones on either side of it be rolling hills,. Maybe make like a small wooden town in the middle of another, or giving the attacking team a wooden fort if they reached an enemies castle. Balancing issues would need to be resolved but it would be really cool to see how much more strategy would be used.

2 other things:

-maybe when discussing plans everyone likes someone's plan better an goes with thtem as the strategist. ASo people vote and it would say like coup' de tat (haha).
    - probably have to make it private with password cause people that come on and grief/aren't playing serious would totally screw your team over.

18. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Why are you saying it to me like i was complaing. I would not care if i was not king but lots of other people care and dont say I wont coplain cause you probably will with out realising it i might to but you got to balance things out (fun wise)
    </br>--- merged: Aug 2, 2012 9:39 PM ---</br>
    also im like the idea and i am not saying its dumb

19. Night_Horde

Sorry if you thought I was yelling at you but someone is always going to complain, and in a gametype like this you can't. Plain and simple. An d a gametype isn't built on a who's going to whine about this mentality. If you don't like not being the king, then don't play. Not sure what you quote of yourself in the same post meant though. Made no sense to me.

20. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

i was to lazy to scroll up and find you post again reply. I just saw a reply button and clicked.

:p