1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Class Bawww/Argument thread

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Contrary, Aug 1, 2012.

1. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

That's what I'm saying. It's too appealing to people who don't give a shit and just want to win. That's why the ability for archers to just pull the brakes on a game like that should be nerfed. This should mean stuff like shorter range for archers, or catas immune to arrows, or cheaper catas. You can't just hope people don't pick the easier option, you have to make the option not as easy.

Rayne and Beef like this.
  2. PumpkingSlice

PumpkingSlice Base Burner

That's the thing. There is no hope. You can nerf archer all you want they will still be able to kick ass if there arrows only reached 1 block (with some pros they probably would). That is why the people who know how to play need to teach people how the game should be played and not expect people to learn themselves. It's nothing easy but it sure helps in the long run. Heck you never know archers may end up as the weakest class. Sometimes it's not always about the class itself that makes it op.

3. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

dum

Rayne and Gofio like this.
  4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Give knights bows.

5. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

PS:
    you keep surprising me. I can think of no way to start a flamewar about your comment!
    KG:
    yes, but not enough. Im not bad as archer, imo, and its my main class.
    I too, think its too easy to snipe people.
    Id like to point out that the reason i want HIGHER damage for close range arrows,
    is that people will start playing offensive archer.
    high risk, but high reward!
    if you are an offensive archer, or a normal, nonspam archer, you should agree with this.
    if you disagree,
    you probably are the type that simply "drops" fivehundred arrows on one knight, hoping to kill him.
    </br>--- merged: Aug 8, 2012 12:31 PM ---</br>
    thats arches with a shield.
    it might be fun to shoot the shield at someone though...

Night_Horde likes this.
  6. Night_Horde

Night_Horde Shopkeep Stealer

HAHA you act like teamwork is a button you can adjust in your game settings. A huge problem with KAG is the learning curve. It takes you a long time to pick up on the fine mechanics of the game and most of the time new players flood the servers whether it be gold or f2p.

Saying to rely on teamwork is like calling a duck a duck. Wow I had no idea a team based game was supposed to be about teamwork. I can't even get my team to kick a griefer half the time because no one looks at the fucking chat bar, what makes you think me spamming the chat for tactics is suddenly going to make my team win. Some players don't even speak English, and there are more dumb-ass Knights than smart ones that rush into certain death than would wait for a builder to dig a tunnel for a team to safely move through. Yeah there is always a way to get around an enemy but most of the time little Billy isn’t going to want to wait 2 minutes to defend a builder. As soon as the team is out of lives he’ll just quit and find another game.

Knights conservative with bombs? That’s a laugh and a half, an arrow doesn’t insta-kill me when it drop 3 blocks away from me. I play builder a majority of the time and I’d rather have an archer shooting arrows than someone drop a bomb on me.

People didn’t used to camp in towers at all and you’re sniper comparison is flawed. I can get to a sniper on a map if he’s killed me once. His hiding spot is now painfully obvious to everyone and he has to constantly be moving and looking out for people that are coming to get him, not even close to what the archer is now.

If you all want to get rid of the archer’s distance, then you’re going to have to give him a straight shot crossbow. It’s not fair for the archer class to have 3 skills and to constantly be nerfed when the knight has so much versatility. You want to make a class weaker health, weaker attack, weaker abilities, how is that a fix at all to the game? The real fix would be to give archer a new ability. Picking up bodies to use as meat shields, a small circular shield they could use to take a hit from knight and still have some health, a deployable stockade, a grappling hook, a weaker shot that shot multiple arrows, just something that would show archers it was okay to come out of the tower. Archer is by far the most boring class in the game, it needs to be fixed and not nerfed as that would only create a useless class and add to the camping problem.

And of course the better team will always win, hence the word better. There are constantly going to be new players in the game and unless every experienced player goes and plays on a server with a password, there will always be noobs in games that weigh your team down. Balance isn’t an issue with teamwork it’s an issue with game mechanics so a group of knights doesn’t have to shield up next to a wall and get spammed with arrows.

Maybe an archers aim would be thrown off by wind and the longer the shot the more the shot would differentiate from the target.

Viken likes this.
  7. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

that, is the reason I want to nerf archers without making them weaker.
    my suggestion will make them into assassins,
    weak and easy to kill, but they can be very strong too.
    one single hit from distance, and a quick arrow from close range can kill a knight, but even ten spammed shots may leave a knight intact. if that isnt balance, I dunno what is.

KnightGabe13 likes this.
  8. Night_Horde

Too hard to implement especially with all the lag between players but it does seem like a nice idea

9. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

its not that hard, I think. Im not an expert,
    but wouldnt it be kinda like the charging thingy?
    if the arrow flies longer, it damages less?

10. PumpkingSlice

Well if you can't get teamwork then be a bitch :)

Gofio likes this.
  11. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

they should make a book with all your annoying one-liners. it'd be bigger than the bible... :p
    but it is not entirely true, most towercampers actually work in teams... one stuns, other kills.

12. PumpkingSlice

Annoying? just ask people like Justi and such if you think this is annoying.

Gofio likes this.
  13. Night_Horde

This literally doesn't make sense.

14. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I believe the issue is, as contrary said, that a team of archers spamming non stop all turtled up will destroy a more balanced team of good players all working together.

Pretty much the only way around that is to build a taller tower and cata spam.

When the answer to spam is more spam there is something wrong.

15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

he means, that if you cant simply work together, you'd probably go and camp in towers.
    sounds dumb, but its what happens. they usually spam arrows and annoy everyone.

16. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

And the reason tunneling is nooby?
    it counters the most op strategy in the game: turtling
    so my idea now is
    turtling/archer spam beats good team, good team beats nooby tunneling, tunneling beats turtles/archer spam

17. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Tunnelling is time consuming (boring) and risky. No matter how many men or how skilled the tunnellers, you still have to surface, which usually puts you at a severe disadvantage in height and at the mercy of all the arrow spam, except from the other side.

Assuming you even can pop up right by the flag, due to the concentration of tunnellers you're easy targets for slashes and bombs.

Splitting up and attacking from multiple underground angles only divides the attack strength and increases the chance one of the assaults will fail, which usually give the defenders enough momentum to counterattack.

Tunnels are only useful if trapped to the gills and used for ambushes or to distract the enemy. Big words from a mole, I know.

Rayne, DrZaloski, Contrary and 3 others like this.
  18. kuulness

kuulness Tree Planter

I think if your hurt more you move slower, so then peole cant run.

19. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

What, no Rambo half-heart archer escapes? Forgetchu. :(

20. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

As Beef said, no one likes tunneling. It's boring, it's time consuming, and usually ends with the tunneling team losing all their goddamn tickets. It's also much harder to get an entire team to work together on a tunnel then it is to get a team spamming in a tower.

Balance is very much an issue with teamwork. Think of teamwork like a statistic. Team A has a higher percentage of players who know each other and who listen to each other and play along (assume all players on both teams are at the same skill level) then team B, which has a lot of dumbasses raging at each other. In theory, team A should win, right? Usually, that's the case. But, when you occasionally, towards the end of the game (usually), a group of team B sits in a tower built early in the match and just fires arrows however they please without being touched, drain all of team A's tickets, and wins. THERE IS A REASON WHY THE WINNING TEAM LOSES HALF THE TIME AT THE END. Basically, as PumpkingSlice said, there's always the option to be a bitch and sit in a tower and prolong the match as long as possible, and possibly win.

Knights are much more conservative with their bombs are archers are with their arrows. Knights use bombs to kill people running away who were too cocky. It's the only way, they aren't any faster, they have melee range, and they only have 3 bombs tops which they (and only half the time have all 3) have to aim and time just right to get the kill on a running archer or builder. They did good, give them their kill. Archers can shoot an arrow fucking miles away with pin-point accuracy that takes away 1 and 1/2 a heart and stuns, possibly cause a knight to explode or a builder to fall to his death, and gives the archer time to notch another arrow to finish the job. By the way, these arrows cost next to nothing.

I was only commenting on how snipers like to sit behind walls (FUCK YOU DoD SNIPERS. FUCK YOU ALL.). Yes, KAG is a different environment from a first person shooter, but this aspect remains the same. They like to sit behind a million allies where it is difficult to get to, basically making the only way to kill them is to beat them at their own game, and if I've gathered anything from this thread, it's that most of us don't like playing archers.

Again, you try to destroy what is broken, and not fuck with what isn't broken. Field archers are fine. They work, they do what they're intended to do. They can safely support their team or sometimes pick off a knight if they're in a bad situation (stuck in a pit), with only having to worry about being killed by a better knight with a bomb, or if their knight meat-shields fall to the other team's knights. They are helpful and relatively fun to play. The problem is, that camping in a tower works surprisingly well, and is easy to pull off. Archers can stop even the most coordinated and skilled team at the end of a match by staying in a tower and murdering anyone that comes near. You shouldn't mess with something that's already very balanced (field archers), you should mess with the thing that isn't balanced (camp in tower+spam arrows=make game long, boring spam-fest but possibly win). It's always best to approach something directly then indirectly if given the chance. It's much simpler, and creates much less problems.

Also, being slower if you get hurt would be a nightmare. Think of the archer spam. Can you image the pain knights and builders will go through when they are constantly slowed by archers that shot them from across the map. Oh god, even the thought makes me shiver.

I still stand by that I think archers should have shorter range. Their current range is ridiculous, making it so a lot of knights can't even see their attackers. I think on the open field archers would be just as effective and functional, because they can still hide a considerable distance behind their meat shields and help them out, but it will make it so they can't camp as easily in towers. It also makes it so a cata can actually bring down the tower, because it will have a longer range then the archers. If the archers want to stop the cata, then they will have to get on the ground and get close enough. That might not stop tower camp 'n spam, but it would make it much less infuriating for the used-to-be-winning-wtf-team, and it would stop it if the losing team had some brains and actually wanted to turn the match around, fairly. Archers are meant to slow the enemy down by killing their builders and thinning out the knights, not to cause the entire match to stop and spam.

Rayne and Beef like this.