1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Garanis's Server Browser (ALPHA)

Discussion in 'Community Dev Corner' started by garanis, Jun 25, 2012.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey
  1. garanis

garanis Shark Slayer

I'll be back in the civilized world on the 18th or so. Over the past week I've spent about 40 hours driving up the east coast of Australia. Good times. I'm carrying around a dev version of the server browser, and hopefully I can get it up online soon.

WarrFork, Beo, delankski and 2 others like this.
  2. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

1. I love that your Australian
    2. Great work
    3. Cant wait to see the new version, so i give constructive criticisms ;)
    edit: if you need help getting a better hoster and domain name, i might be able to help

3. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

4. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Amazing work garanis :D

PS: You could make it create statistics, like average: online time, number of players etc.

Ghozt likes this.
  5. ArtemNaumov

ArtemNaumov Builder Stabber

That's totally awesome, garanis! Good work! ♥

6. Creille

Creille Base Burner

This is actually that good :D I don't use it to play the game but it is great for seeing if my server is up when I'm out and about :D

lavalord likes this.
  7. ArpiG

ArpiG Shopkeep Stealer

very well done.I like it.This helps a lot when you are on YouTube or something like that and you want to check the servers before joining!

8. zninja

zninja Shopkeep Stealer

I'm not going to download your junk. Add a screenshot please :p

9. FliesLikeABrick

It is a website not a download

Cirom, Ej, JacKD and 2 others like this.
  10. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

What FLAB said. And it is most certainly not junk. Its a very nice tool and Im glad he made it.

Cirom and WarrFork like this.
  11. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

Ooh, neato. I like.

Is there a way to make it more "compact" though? I'm only getting 3 servers per page. I don't mind if some information is lost (but can be seen by clicking on the link) like Map Size, KAG Build, and Password Protected (I can think of a few ways to "compact" the other data without removing functionality, too.

12. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

DAMN YOU!
    youre the reason the mole server is always full!
    RAGE!
    lol. just kidding!

13. garanis

garanis Shark Slayer

I'm still travelling around Europe ATM. I have a dev version of the app with me, but I'm too busy to finish the upcoming features (login, friends list, stats) right now. Should have some time in Sept.

Also FLAB - yes, I'm re-using connections.
    </br>--- merged: Aug 14, 2012 7:06 PM ---</br>
    New beta version up at http://kag.ques.to/new

This version adds some cool new stuff like buddy lists and linking with your KAG account. Once it is bugtested, I'll move it over to the main site and start working on some nice statistics stuff, and a nicer buddy list and possibly notification interface.

The amount of time I spend on this kinda depends on how much interest there is.

If you find bugs, please pm me on the forums.

Creille, Noburu, Beo and 1 other person like this.
  14. FliesLikeABrick

Thanks for putting the warning in there about using a different password than the official KAG account, I appreciate that.

That said, how do you store the passwords for the accounts people register, salted hash?

Suggestions (varying in size):
    - When on the page to add a buddy, make the cursor default to being in the box. This lets people just add people repeatedly and just hit enter after each one (without having to go to the mouse to click back in the text box after each one)
    - <will probably add more suggestions as I browse around>

Otherwise great work and nice use of the API. Hopefully we have some sort of push notification for buddy state at some point, or get an API-side buddy list implemented so that you can poll the status of a bunch of people at once

Creille likes this.
  15. Creille

Creille Base Burner

We all love your work!!! Plz continue!!! I use this on iPod when checking if my server is up and I would love to see a friends list!!! :D

16. garanis

garanis Shark Slayer

Salted SHA1 hash, of course :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm planning to make the buddy stuff a little more app-y, as in it will be a pop-down or pop-up pane that will update periodically when the page is open.

17. pokeblue

pokeblue Catapult Fodder

i really like it the only thing i can think of is adding a friends list and like a player list!

18. FliesLikeABrick

Some other suggestions:
    - Show a total count of servers displayed (matching filters) and total number of players in the servers shown (like the in-game browser does)
    - Make the gold/passworded but ternary controls like in the game (so that you can filter no gold/no passworded as well)
    - Something we want to support in-game at some point but is low priority for us is to have advanced filtering expressions and let people save a list of filters. This would allow you to do something like
    MAPW >= 250 and MAPH < 200 AND %full >= 75 AND %full < 99 AND (so on) AND gameMode == "Capture The Flag!" OR (another expression to build a joint set if wanted)

It's really simple to do this with the API, just adding /key/value filters to the URL (and then doing an additional API call for each ORed clause)

Something I wanted to do with the soldat web lobby but never finished it (http://soldat.thd.vg/en/lobby/) was have a graph of the activity on each server over time - though this would require you polling the server list every 5 minutes or so throughout the day from a cron job. You could graph a lot of interesting things which server owners/admins would probably like to use on their homepages/signatures/etc: a bar graph of what time of day/day of week a given server is busiest, activity on a server in the last 24h/week/month/year, %age of servers with players in them over the last d/m/w/y etc etc.

edit: also, if you do anything that operates every 5m (like pulling the list to aggregate stats/graphs), there's a lot of neat shit you can do:

- If you allow people to save "favorite servers" or "favorite server filters", you can check the server list when you pull it at an interval and let people set up notifications/alerts. Then you can have it send them an e-mail, AIM IM, etc letting them know when their favorite server meets some threshold of activity or when a server filter has matches
    - You can alert people when certain buddies are seen online/etc and send the user an e-mail/IM/PM with the join link (or you can even let people set one-time notices like "e-mail me the next time player X is online"

Damn I'm actually envious that I don't have the time to work on implementing things like this - but it's a project better served by some community devs anyway

19. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Only just discovered this, but damn it looks tasty! :D

20. Robinskie

Robinskie Drill Rusher

Great stuff, garanis!:thumbs_up: Hope you add more features in the near future!:)
    But why do you have to register if you have a KAG account to link with? :huh?:

Mods: Downburst, Mazey