1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Guild Charter, etc.

Discussion in 'Groups' started by FuzzyBlueBaron, Sep 2, 2012.

1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Welcome! Joining the guild is fairly straightforward in that you need only do three things:
    1. Read through this article (including the 'Tips' and 'Warnings' sections at the end).
    2. Familiarise yourself with this website (the 'otherindex' is handy).
    3. Once accepted into the Ivory Tower, you must post in this thread that you have completed the above steps and swear to uphold the Laws of Grammar-Nazism and guild charter (shown below). Only then will you be a registered guild member! You have one (1) week from joining the Ivory Tower to register as a guild member.
    ----

The Laws of Grammar-Nazism are as follows:
    1. Don't be a dick. (i.e. You know what I mean. Just don't!)
    2. Be sure. (i.e. Before you question someone's syntax, take the time to do your research and get it right!)
    3. Be consistent. (i.e. If you're going to offer correction to someone's grammar have the decency to use good grammar yourself--not just in that one post, but all the time!)
    4. Purpose & Audience. I'll say it again: PURPOSE AND AUDIENCE!!! (i.e. If a post conveys its point in a fashion appropriate for those reading it leave it be!)
    5. Explain why. (i.e. If you're going to offer correction, take the time to explain why the usage you're offering is correct!) [Kudos to WanderMark for reminding me]
    6. Do not snark. (This is related to the 1st law, but stresses the need to conduct oneself with equanimity and grace. i.e. if you're going to offer correction to someone's lexical structure, say it nicely or not at all! No one ever wanted to learn anything from a snoot)
    ----

Guild charter:
    1. Language is beautiful.
    2. Flagrant misuse of language is not.
    3. KAG has a great community.
    4. People being dicks spoils that.
    5. As linguistically aware members of the KAG community, it is our duty to encourage others to use language well without detracting from said community.
    6. All unregistered grammar-nazis (i.e. those who have not elected to abide by the guild charter) pose a hazard to the well-being of the KAG community and are hereby encouraged to join the guild or else forfeit their right to comment on other forum members' grammar, spelling, etc.
    7. Perpetual war is hereby declared on any and all rogue grammar-nazis.
    8. Fair warning: if FBB hears you've been using grammar as an excuse to be condescending towards other forum members he will come down on you like a ton of !#^%!@#&% bricks!!! :>:(::argh:
    ----

Please post below to signify your acceptance of the Laws of Grammar-Nazism and guild charter. :down:
    </br>--- merged: Sep 2, 2012 12:36 PM ---</br>
    Wrote it. Signed it. Totes agree to its content. ;)

2. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I already posted in the old group, but I agree again.

//Yeah, the old groups are gone now, so agreeing again is good. ^_^

3. Once again, i agree.

//Thank you, Stevedog.

4. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

The name featured on the tab of the page that the 'otherindex' link brings up is incorrect. It should be 'Article' not 'Articl'. Silly grammar website, getting its grammar wrong.

//Sigh, thank you, Hella.

5. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

>it's

6. Hella

Begging your pardon, but you could be more descriptive of my error, and maybe speak in full sentences. Why was I wrong in my grammar in the first place? could I just generally improve the sentence as a whole?
    The aspect of full sentences simply shows that you are making an effort yourself; through posting a single word response, you effectively turn your post entirely to highlighting someone elses mistakes, which is like cocking a highly volatile snook at them.

If you were to rewrite that sentence, you could have done it thusly:

7. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

*facepalm*

I'm glad you two are enjoying yourselves... :rollseyes:

8. ParaLogia

This is our little community where people should know when they make grammar mistakes. I wouldn't make one-word corrections outside of the group. However, you clearly know the correct spelling for "its"--you just made a mistake. I was pointing out your mistake, because you were calling the grammar website silly for making a mistake, while making a mistake yourself.

9. Hella

Maybe we can put all of this down to poetic irony?

10. FuzzyBlueBaron

Indeed.

11. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

I agree, once again.

//Thank you, Canadian.

12. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I agree the Laws of Grammar-Nazism.

I've read it all.

//Excellent. Ty.

13. Bammboo

Bammboo Ballista Bolt Thrower

I agree to the guild charter.

//Goodo! :thumbs_up:

14. Read it, signed it, got the t-shirt. Well, I would if there was a t-shirt to acquire... :)

//Excellent. :)

15. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

I agree to the Laws of of Grammar-Nazism.

//Excellent.

16. TheCrusader

TheCrusader Shopkeep Stealer

I willingly oblidge to the laws of Grammar Nazism, and swear to uphold its standards of pure grammar.

//Glad to have you on board. :)

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Sicarii Donator
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I will oblige to the laws of the Gammar Nazi's and will up hold all rules, and standards of grammar.

// :thumbs_up:

18. Viken

Viken Horde Gibber

I, Viken, swear to abide by the laws of the KAG grammar-Nazi guild charter.
    Now, time to go and act like a pompous, condescending snob towards as many people as possible.

//Assuming those people are being dickish about grammar, great. :p

19. Harmony

Harmony Shopkeep Stealer

You've got me hooked. Let us toast to better grammar and spelling for all of the KAG community!
    //Excellent! Good to have you on board! :)

20. I agree to these terms.
    //Excellent. :)