1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Pokemon General

Discussion in 'Other games' started by MechaTrickster, Jan 16, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

That's Gold/Silver

Also, Garados can't learn fly even though it's a flying type (like Scyther)

2. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Ivysaur brofist!

3. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

did you know that dw venusaur is possibly strongest grass time in the game, in the sun he can hit really really hard

4. Wigglytuff has huge HP and Special Defense stat, so it's good for facing off against jerkwads like Alakazam and similar. Not much walls Psychics... from what you can probably find at this stage I'd try and get yourself another psychic. Early in the game the only way to wall Psychics is to have an Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam or Drowzee/Hypno.

And you'd be fine with Nidoking. Ivy's Grass type cuts out the weakness to ground that Nidoking has, so while Nidoking would be hit supereffectively Ivysaur wouldn't.
    </br>--- merged: Sep 20, 2012 12:56 PM ---</br>
    Oh and Venusaur is a pretty hard hitter, but sun does little to help Venusaur (as its ability is Overgrow, not Solar Power.)

5. GloriousToast

noob i said DW meaning dream world venusaur, which means it has Chlorophyll as an ability. double speed in sunlight!

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Right now I'm at:

Eevee - Thinking of making this a Jolteon. What do you guys think?
    Growlithe - Intimidation variant with the IVs/Evs making it a lot more specially offensive for some reason. As I mentioned earlier I have big love for Arcanine so I was really glad to catch this.
    Hitmonlee - Had a hard time deciding between him and the Chan. But then I remembered no Drain Punch and the fact that the elemental punches would suck on him so Lee it is. Basically a straight upgrade from Primeape.
    Magicarp
    Ivysaur - Hasn't changed that much since my last post. Is still a reliable fighter and semi-cleric with Leech Seed and Sleep Powder. Suffers from really bad coverage though.
    Nidoking - Not in my party right now but I just picked up a Moon Stone for him.

LordReudh brings up a lot of good points. There is an old man willing to trade his Jynx for a Poliwhirl- I wonder where I can catch one of those?

Anybody feel like doing some PO matches?

7. He's playing Fire Red.

I'd evolve the eevee into a Vaporeon, who make passable stallers/phazers. Huge hp stat (mine's very poorly trained with 424hp), Haze, Acid Armor, Aqua Ring (genIV+) and other stally ragy moves. Plus Substitute + Leftovers. :D

8. GloriousToast

im saying in general

9. He was asking about Fire Red though, so DW doesn't apply. :P

10. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Pretty sure you need more mudkipz.

11. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

I'd evolve the Eevee into a Jolteon, only because he already has a magicarp. :p

12. Contrary

Not sure if anyone cares about these team updates, but here it is:

Rhyhorn - Tanks hits like a champ, hits like a truck and has perfect coverage on his STABs alone (though not that big of an accomplishment in RBY). Can't wait until he evolves.

Exeggutor - This guy is insane. He is just a beast plain and simple. No Dark or Steel types means that Psychic is actually a good typing, in fact a friggin amazing typing. He's good fantastic special attack and a great movepool to work with. I don't know whether to run a Sun set (he has Chlorophyll and I bet I can nab a Solar Beam somewhere), subseed, dual screens, pure attacker, or any combo of those. I hope he can learn some good boosting moves. He also covers Rhyhorn's Water, Grass, and Fighting weaknesses while Rhyhorn covers his Bug, Flying, and Fire weaknesses.

Snorlax - Takes all the special attacks and dishes mad damage on the physical side. It's a shame I got the Immunity variant rather than Thick Fat, but too late to go back. Normal is also a really good type with no Steels and Gengar being the only good Ghost. Hope I can get Curse from somewhere.

Tentacool - Just caught him so I don't know how he will turn out. I imagine he will be a decent wall but I may switch him out once I catch a Staryu or get around to levelling Magikarp. I think he's probably a bit redundant with Snorlax.

Growlithe - He's been sitting in my box while I level random pokes but he'll reclaim his spot once I get a Fire Stone.

Doduo: Covers my massive Ground weakness and is a solid attacker, if kinda slow. He's also the best Fly bitch I can find. He's kinda suboptimal as a Ground counter with the best Ground types having a Rock secondary typing which hits him super effectively and resists both STABs.

So I tried Haunter and was massively disappointed. Despite his Special Attack looking pretty decent he seemed to not hit very hard. His typing is excellent and has some good support moves, so I might look into him as a wall-annoyer or something.

I also caught a Ditto. I'm really surprised that he's this old. I kinda assumed he came in in RSE.

Kouji and BeasterDenBeast like this.
  13. Haunter's a great phaser. Wearing down opponents with subsititute + hypnosis + dream eater is really fun. Plus, once you deal enough damage with Dream Eater you can use substitute again!

Doduo'll get a bit faster when it evolves, of course. If you're looking for ground coverage, though... A mon running Levitate is always useful. If you can access it.

Your Growlithe doesn't provide much in the way of offense until it evolves, and it's so weak until then.

Tentacool/cruel are fairly brilliant Special Walls but as you said Snorlax fills that role even better, due to its lack of weakness to electric, ground and psychic.

And yeah. If you can manage it, I reckon your Exeggutor would work really well as a sun team. If you really want Arcanine on your team, give it sunny day. There's not much that can stand up to Solarbeams every turn + Sun boosted flamethrower / fireblast.

Kouji likes this.
  14. GloriousToast

doduo = flightless bird, no wings, can fly
    scyther = wings, can not fly

15. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Terrible choice. The only way you could have made a worse choice is if you chose Flareon.

[​IMG]
    Yep, he's been there as number 132.

I'd suggest maybe swapping out Tentacool with Tauros (he's a amazing physical attack power with great speed and decent moves (+stab with Return/Frustration) and makes a pretty boss physical sweeper, or getting a special sweeper of sorts (Arcanine can fill that though I guess later on when you get it).

Also Areodactyl > Ferrow > Dodrio > Pidgeot

16. GloriousToast

crobat is my pick <3
    i remember in the leaf green i had a lvl 50+ chansey that would keep trying to evolve but couldn't cause i didn't have the national dex

17. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

Please explain Kouji I don't see what your getting at.

18. Kouji

Well Flareon is just terrible. I shouldn't have to explain why, but I'll do so anyways. Best stats are attack and special defense and it has terrible speed and defense. It also can't do much with that attack because it has no real physical moves to choose from. Also since in Gen III, the type of the attack determines whether or not it use attack or special attack for the move, it can't even use fire moves that well. Basically it's set up to be a physical sweeper with 0 moves for sweeping physically.

Now I will admit that Jolteon isn't actually terrible. It has great speed and a good special attack and it does have the moveset to back up being as special sweeper. However it goes down pretty easy with it's poor hp and defense. Combine that with a 2x weakness to ground, it has a tough time surviving. Anyways, since most of Contrary's pokemon are already weak to ground, it'd be bad choice to pick up another weak to it. That is what I meant.

If I had to pick up an electric type in Fire Red, I'd get Magneton. It does have a x4 weakness to ground, x2 to fighting and x2 to fire and it gets a x1 to water, however it's immune to poison and resists everything else with a x1/4 to steel and flying. Hard to recommend on Contrary's team unless he replaced one other of hsi glaringly weak to ground pokemons.

19. Contrary

I've figured out why Haunter is being so weak. Ghost moves are physical! I knew about the Physical/Special split but I just assumed Ghost would be special... Gonna give him a second try later.

Ended up going for Jolteon. Vaporeon is great but I already played with one in Emerald and I wanna save my water stone for a Cloyster or a Poliwrath (mainly I was stoked to get a Starmie but apparently those are Leaf Green only). He's ok but I don't really have good moves on him yet.

I also got a Gyarados which is a goddamn wrecking machine. I used him to plow through the fire gym despite being like ~15 levels lower than most enemies and 20+ levels lower than the boss Pokemon. Him and Jolteon go together really well, each hitting from different sides and being immune to each other's main weaknesses. Not really a lot of good moves to work with so far, but even spamming Surf is doing a lot.

Slowly building up a Dratini. They give him to you at like level 5 and he takes forever to toughen up. I'm running kind of a silly set on him right now, Thunder Wave/Twister/Rest/Surf. It's got that T-Wave/Twister paraflinch and since he has Shed Skin sometimes recovers from Rest on the same turn he uses it.

Also got an Aerodactyl. I loved using him on simulator but he's pretty low level right now and like the rest of my 'mons his moveset is poo.

I picked up a Solar Beam and I am contemplating on whether to give it and Sunny Day to Eggs or to Growlithe. Eggs gets that Cholorophyll boost but Growlithe will appreciate the boost to Fire STABs.

edit: Jolteon now running Rain Dance/Thunder/Shock Wave/Quick Attack. Gonna get it Ice Beam when I can afford it.

MechaTrickster likes this.
  20. Wait, ghost is PHYSICAL in gen III? no wonder my banette and dusclops always sucked so hard.

Mods: BlueLuigi