1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Planetside 2

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Wolffkran, Mar 15, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

Planetside 2! It's a sequel to the original game with one major difference, it's a free to play! Not to mention that it's been revitalized with triple A graphics and the same persistant world, FPS and vehicle combat as the original game. I'm personally as stoked as possible for this game.

http://www.planetside2.com/
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/

2. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

I've been watching this game for about a year now. I'm pretty excited as well. I've never played Planetside 1 because of the monthly fee, but I've always thought it was an interesting concept, like World War II Online or Battlefield 1942 on a massive scale. A ton of gameplay footage has been released from the GDC you can find here:

I'm just worried that they may not be able to implement everything from the previous game like boats and drop ships. They'll definitely be adding a bunch of little new things like engineers carrying around portable shields, so I hope they make this game better than the last.

Arcite likes this.
  3. McChunks

McChunks Shark Slayer

Veteran from PS1-
    I can't wait for PS2. The beta should be awesome aswell

4. Chrispin

I'm hoping that they'll be giving out a ton of keys before beta hits because I missed my chance to get some from PC Gamer magazine.

Arcite likes this.
  5. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

Same, I've been hoping that my early early application to the beta matters.

6. DarkHairedIrish

DarkHairedIrish Shopkeep Stealer

Looks like a good game but Wolff, your beyond obsession about this game. Sadly there's nothing we can do to help. (He talks about this game on mumble... a lot.)

AJ likes this.
  7. Chrispin

You can never be beyond obsession about this game.

Pizza likes this.
  8. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

Those who do not believe in the almighty planetside 2 shall be destroyed. With lazers, bullets, and shotguns that shoot chainsaw bullets.

9. Pizza

Pizza Ballista Bolt Thrower

I follow this game for quite some time now, and I am really looking forward to it! I never played PS1 though.

10. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Looks good but it has to compete with Firefall.

11. Chrispin

PlanetSide and Firefall are two completely different games. Firefall is going to be able to support maybe a few hundred players per instance/channel. PlanetSide 2 supports more than 2,000 on one single map. They could all be in one area if they wanted to, fighting in one giant clusterfuck battle. Let me put this into perspective for you (I didn't draw this):
    [​IMG]
    That's 2000 players separated into 3 different factions.

Anyway, a CGI trailer just came out, but it's really just Sony Online Entertainment's way of marketing toward the Halo/Call of Duty crowd that really like this sort of stuff. In the past SOE has done a horrible job at advertising so they caught me by surprise with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41QFL4QB3NE&feature=player_embedded

SARGRA13 and Arcite like this.
  12. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

It was a good trailer imo.

13. Chrispin

Beta has started already for those that have subscribed for Planetside 1 before the first wave of invites went out Monday. You can still get in the next wave around next week if you're willing to fork out $25 for an outdated monthly fee game. Anyway, here's some new footage brought to us buy some closed beta tester (it gets better after the beginning part):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM3DxaxfErs

SirSammy likes this.
  14. Sarmane

Sarmane Go Tau'va yourself San Diego. Donator

So what empire is everyone repping atm? VS grunt right here.

dnmr likes this.
  15. Chrispin

NC all the way baby! I just wish I had a good enough computer to play at over 10 fps in medium sized battles.

16. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I can see myself siding with NC as well, or at least once I can get the beta client working properly. ;_;
    They're just generally cooler.

17. Sarmane

Then I see a new adversary! Are any of you rolling in an outfit? There great fun and help minimise the more randomness of open squads, which can still be quite fun at times. I too need a better setup to get more FPS out of larger battles its so q.q. West server at the moment?

EDIT: to answer your question about where i went SBC, its here to PS2. Ill still be playing KAG when its major release is out, just it wont be my focussed game as much as it had been before :)

18. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

im trying to join beta T.T

19. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

I GOT A BETA KEY

'epic victory dance!!!!!!'

edit: installing takes 20+ minutes

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT 20 MINUTES??

20. Sarmane

QUICK, WHICH EMPIRE ARE YOU SWEARING LOYALTY TOO? *Charges laser rifle