1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one seeing the phasing out of guards as a problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thebonesauce, Oct 29, 2012.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I know you guys do a great job, but sometimes there aren't a whole lot of you on. We just had a guy on KimiMishi zombies set off 3 kegs in the base and be like, "OOPS! ACCIDENT!" And of course, no admins around and lazy players... So he blew off a large portion of a tower before votekicked.

This happens so often.

2. Fozzbael

Fozzbael Shipwright

Hasn't it been like that since ... forever?

I dont know, perhaps its different on premium servers but griefers running rampant on free servers is nothing new

3. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I don't see it as an issue, because by the time we've been phased out, two things will have happened; there will be too many servers for guards to moderate, and there will be plenty of servers that do so self-sufficiently. I imagine there will be some messing around with the server browser to accommodate this when it comes time.

For the present, you may have a point, but the battle can be fought from more than one angle; server owners could stand to set seclevs for trusted individuals/regular players. Those that do have active owner-appointed staff are definitely more frequented than the rest, I would think.

Razi, Contrary, SARGRA13 and 5 others like this.
  4. thebonesauce

Funny that you mention "trusted players", since I just got done on a server where one of the "trusted players" kept resetting maps in RTDM because he didn't like how matches were starting out, and would try like hell to get our team to votekick someone camping, but 2-3 of the players on his team camped as well, but nothing... You catch my drift. If this is the future of adminship, we're fucked. As a community and as a game.

fiddy, Isen, GalenMarek and 8 others like this.
  5. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I think there is going to be one very dark period between the guards leaving and the admins getting their collective butts in gear, a period where greifers will have almost no backlash, and badmins will rule with an iron fist, I like to call this time the "Eric-o-geddon" for obvious reasons.

But it will pass, people will flock to the well run servers and the ones that are not will just close, then more admins will follow the formula that works, and kag will be better than ever, I call this the "Great Eric Awakening"

SARGRA13, HERaLD, jlordo911 and 4 others like this.
  6. thebonesauce

Adminiassance.

SARGRA13, GloriousToast and Eric like this.
  7. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

There will be some post about Guards soon, either from me or from Dave.

8. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

I got an idea, lets not play on servers that don't have moderators.

fiddy, Bammboo and allknowingfrog like this.
  9. TheWhiteLights

TheWhiteLights Shipwright

Sorry I was not able to be online when that happened :(

10. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

The only excuse for relying on guards is that you're new and you don't know enough people to have admins available. In that case, ask another server owner for a list of recommendations. If you've been here awhile and can't be bothered to recruit some admins, your server deserves whatever it gets.

FuzzyBlueBaron and jerloch like this.
  11. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

and then we all play on moderated servers. what then? well they would get so crowded (as they already are) and we will be forced to play on the non moderated servers. OR the crowded servers will lag a lot because they are crowded and then go on other less bs servers.

12. [​IMG]
    Just kidding, I know its illegal to ask to be a guard.

13. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

Lets ignore the fact that we can compensate by putting up more moderated servers, or votekick griefers. Jep, just crazy talk indeed.

14. TheWhiteLights

TheWhiteLights Shipwright

I could not tell if you were talking to me or the OP... and I don't rely on guards.

15. laurentiu

laurentiu Ballista Bolt Thrower

Guards seems to be more likely good players than good..."guards"....I don`t want to cause any offence, but most of the times I prefeer not to wait for a guard to kick a griefer and I take thing into my own matter and ask other teammates repetedly to kick the griefers.

Server admins do the greatest job, afterall, it`s their servers.

I don`t know what`s up with the guards, it`s a big responsability but they take it too serious and end up doing nothing. My advice for them would be to play KAG whenever they can and they will surely kick some griefers.

GloriousToast, Squeal and Canadian98 like this.
  16. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Guards don't defend you from nooby players, and the problem seemed to have solved itself since the griefer got vote kicked, no? Just today, Vera went in to handle a speedhacker, about 30 SECONDS after I reported it in the IRC. ALL OF US need to put up with these "accidents." Don't be so quick to blame the people who are trying to help.

It's like blaming the police for a bank robbery.

fiddy likes this.
  17. laurentiu

I don`t know man...Power to the people!

It`s either the guards not playing long enough, which I doubt, or their numbers should grow as Furai mentioned.

18. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Pretty sure Furai's post does not infact mention that new guards will just be added. He simply said there'd be a post about them.

If you mean that guard doesn't kick someone when you tell them to, it's because they can't. They either need to see it happening, or have enough evidence to know it's them without a doubt.
    It'd be stupid if a cop could simply arrest you because your neighbor said you were going something illegal.

No, frog was simply saying that for server owners, if they are new and make a server, they should ask another server for their admin list and not just rely on guards like most new server owners do.

19. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Honestly, the guards are not that helpful. To get banned by a guard you have to be on the exact same server as one of a very few number of active guards, AND you have to be griefing in the very tiny portion of the map which is the guard's view AND the guard has to paying attention to that exact part of his screen to catch your name AND the guard has to be recording (if premium). Even if the stars align and ALL of these things happen, you're only banned for a single week or often for only a few days.

I like to think we do more good than harm but it's really a pointless amount. The new plans for the guard team which I won't talk about as to not steal Furai's or DAVE TALAMAS' thunder will make a lot more sense.

Many servers already have a large number of admins, like Frink's, BC's, and Actions. Also I think that once the guards stop being default admin on every server, lots of server owners will still look to that group as a reliable source of admins.

dont worry about it

20. laurentiu

And that`s basically what I meant. It wouldn`t be fun to have servers half filled with guards, but now I can safetly state that there are not enough of them. Therefore, they are useless and you will rather get rid of a griefer by kicking him with the other teammates that saw him.

Plus, I`m not really sure but if guards see a griefer and the only thing they do is to kick him we basically solved nothing. Atleast they should initiate a temporary ban.