1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Power Ranking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ej, Nov 3, 2012.

1. So, as you could notice, during the tournament I'm running a ranking of most effective players. I'd like to extend it with every game and not limit it only to the tournament so we could get a global ranking/ladder for this given match setting. At the moment I do all that stuff manualy but I could imagine getting a log parser at some point. If not, I will stick to begging for logs with enabled killfeed.
    The thing I'm getting to is that new fancy pen.io site blog I used to have (because pen.io is cancer)I made:
    http://rundomducks.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/kag-players-ranking-post-halloween-tourney/
    It is here for easier access to the ranking so you don't have to maintain your own list based on my occasional posts. Currently it feauteres 21 players but I can easialy imagine it expanding to 30, maybe even 40 people.
    The things on the left shows player's progress in the ranking:
    [​IMG] tells you that the player is new in the ranking, was placed once and hasn't moved since.
    [​IMG] tells you that the player has been in the ranking for at least 2 matches but his position wasn't changed after last update.
    [​IMG] tells you that the player ranked up after last update.
    [​IMG] tells you that the player was dropped down after the last update.
    Icons on the right represent class played by the player.

Keep in mind that it's my private project so you can't really blame anyone but me.
    Also I'm not going to reveal the way I rank players since it may affect plastyle of some of them in a bad way and hardly anyone would want that.

I'd like to hear your feedback on the idea and the implementation.

Razi, GloriousToast, rocker2 and 10 others like this.
  2. Cadbury

Cadbury You can't escape. Donator

Cool idea, but doesn't there still exist that bug where people get a random, false K/D ratio when they enter a server, or something along those lines?
    Surely that should be fixed before you implement automatic logging.

3. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Archers should probably get points based on K/D spread, units in between them.

How do you plan on giving builders at least a fair chance on the list?

4. Servers automatically log the correct Kills and Deaths.

They just don't show up on the scoreboard right..lol

5. Maybe I'm being silly but I can't see the point of it, they are rather evenly spread amongst knights in the list
    To be honest, I have no idea how to check it at the moment. Getting wins/loses would be a solution but it wouldn't be too accurate for the ranking overall (assuming we play ~1 games/month, and currently we do). And I think that there are much lesse prominent builders than knights and archers and it's easy to say who's the best only by playing the game regularly.

Also I can already predict that some people are going to play multiple classes so it makes another issue which isn't a thing with my system.

6. Juaro

Juaro Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

I guess this involves a lot of meticulous work and is a lot to ask for, but if one would count all the kills builders make by placing spikes or any sort of trap, like collapses, it would be a little bit more even.
    Like in the YB vs POWER match, FBB killed at least 3 guys by placing spikes.

7. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

Sometimes knights use spikes to kill enemies. You'd have shared-credit situations if you counted spike kills. Not that it matters, since Ej refuses to share his secret formula. He might just be ranking players based on who he personally likes. No sporting league in the world worries that rankings will interfere with games. I just don't understand that logic.

8. Yihka

Yihka Shopkeep Stealer

Divide the league rankings per class?

9. Juaro

Juaro Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

I'm just talking, who placed the spikes, not if a knight stand on the edge and thus the trap bridges are all loosy. I mean soly who placed them. Knight could get collaps kills though if they cut one of the collaps traps a builder has built.
    About EJ's ranking: I guess that would mean that he doesn't like a lot of builders :>

10. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

omg rink 12 u kno im a bedur ice skadur then that. i shud b in rink 1.
    i rank ur rinks 3/10, unles im wun dun i gib 11/10.

plz chng sewn

Razi and allknowingfrog like this.
  11. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

Hey could you just rank me at the bottom now, save me some trouble.

My K/D ratio is about 162/10000

12. Squeal

Squeal Shipwright

I don't think KAG is the sort of game that should have ranks, too much focus on the individual means neglecting the team effort. Anyone who wants a good K/D can go archer and sit back, there's much more to this game than that.