1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Motivation to win?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrusaderKnight, Nov 9, 2012.

1. CrusaderKnight

CrusaderKnight Shark Slayer

You guys have any motivation to win a regular match? because I don't.

It would be great if we could have a profile with statistics like how much Win/Lose, all Score/Kills/Deaths.

2. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

You play for fun, not for w/l or k/d ratios.

Adelarth, thebonesauce, Beef and 5 others like this.
  3. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

I will send a solid gold dump truck full of supermodels, beer, and nutella to every person on the winning team from now on, no questions asked.

4. CrusaderKnight

Thats the spirit!

5. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

fun sux you must play to win

6. CrusaderKnight

Ofcourse, I'am playing for fun, but match ending should be more thrilling :)

7. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

Everyone should be force to dance at end.
    Thriller enough? :D

8. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I don't really think KAG needs anymore motivation than is already there.

In KAG, you kind of get a sense for the enemy, you have those players that spam 25252525 every time they kill you, or build massive slabs to try to stop you, but getting into their base, and literally cremating them. This is what KAG is all about. Not the shiny flag or the gibs.

CoughDrop, thebonesauce, Beef and 3 others like this.
  9. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

In all seriousness though, team colored fireworks off in the background would give people a better sense of accomplishment.

10. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

This would be me every match then.
    [​IMG]

Dark_Centurion likes this.
  11. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

You play KAG with a guitar?

CheeseMeister and Froghead48 like this.
  12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I used to play Cortex Command with a Guitar Hero guitar. It's not as difficult or as fun as you'd think.

13. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

Why turn a relaxed fun-centered game into yet another that puts pressure on you with statistics? Say goodbye to the nice pros who switch teams to balance, and hello to noob-grinding matches. Well, to more noob-grinding matches.

CoughDrop and Beef like this.
  14. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Relevant.
    PC Gamer: Do you still think social games are “evil” then?
    Jonathan Blow: Yes. Absolutely. There’s no other word for it except evil. Of course you can debate anything, but the general definition of evil in the real world, where there isn’t like the villain in the mountain fortress, is selfishness to the detriment of others or to the detriment of the world. And that’s exactly what [most of these games are].
    PC Gamer: Do you blame the player? I mean, is it the player’s fault for getting involved? Even if they don’t realise they’re being harmed?
    Jonathan Blow: One of the things that we have to deal with in modern society is this duality. We want people to have personal responsibility, right?
    But the thing about these games though is they’re made to look really light and friendly or whatever. So it’s very difficult especially for someone to think about games and how their design affects the world – which is most people in the world, they don’t think about that, right? It’s very difficult for them to see how this could possibly be detrimental in any way. They’re just like, “Oh, I’m clicking on the items, I’m having fun”. You know, whatever.
    It’s like I was saying in that talk, I don’t necessarily like to approach it from that question “Is the player having fun or not,” because I’m usually talking to designers at these lectures. I go at it from the designer’s side and I ask “Are you trying to take advantage of your players and exploit them? Or are you trying to give them something?”
    Some kinds of games are very clearly made [to give something] – like Dwarf Fortress is definitely trying to give the players something and not exploit players. That’s very obvious to me in the way that it’s made. [Most of these social games are] the opposite of that. It’s trying to take the maximum amount while trying to give the minimum amount. So that’s an ethics of game design question. To me it doesn’t matter if people feel like they’re having fun or feel like they want to play the game, because the designers know what they’re doing.
    For the full interview of Jonathan Blow, creator of Braid, click here

KAG doesn't have a story line, or an actual purpose other than to defeat the other team. But it's fun. Terrific fun. There shouldn't be more of a reward than that.

Beef and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  15. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

I was infering that i would get overly exicited about nothing....

come on you guys, look beneath the surface :L

16. Squeal

Squeal Shipwright

I question whether KAG should even have a K/D counter in the first place (In non-death-match games), while a "good" measurement of skill, it detracts the player from the team effort. Here's a list of reasons better explaining it:
    • In terms of K/D, the classes are not even. Archers are primarily a defence and suppression class and this means they are inclined to score a higher K/D. Outside of catapults, builders have almost no means to score kills. This may influence what role a person takes, choosing one that benefits themselves rather than the team.
    • Success is not deemed by kills. If an enemy was to attack a group of builders, a knight could intervene and slow down the attack to allow the builders to escape, but if he is focusing on his own life there is little room for selfless act.
    • Sometimes conquering an area of the map will require some extent of attrition, if people are to unwilling to leave areas where they hold an advantage than a stalemate is more likely to occur.

17. HOLY SHIT WHAT YOU ARE SO WRONG
    Games aren't meant to be fun.
    Games are srs bsns.
    Do you get it?
    SERIOUS BUSSINES.
    NO TIME TO REST, NO TIME TO HAVE FUN. (FUN? PFHHAHA)
    YOU PLAY TO WIN, NOT TO HAVE FUN.
    LOOK, MLG.
    DO YOU STILL THINK GAMES ARE FUN? DO YOU?

Peace out, yo.

[​IMG]

18. RikTelner

RikTelner Arsonist

My reason? FINISH 'em ALL!

19. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

This is what you get:
    Text that says : [Your team] Won!
    And bragging rights.
    What kind of motivation do you need?

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  20. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

My motivation? The fun and child-like wonderment I feel when I play. Seriously, I can't name a single other online multiplayer game that I have played for the better part of a year, let alone almost every day until a month or two ago. This game trumps the shit out of stuff like Minecraft because while I had fun with Minecraft for a few days, there's literally no sense of accomplishment when I dig the fuck out of a cavern to find diamonds and craft a shiny metal dong to furnish my castle. It just doesn't hold much weight with me. On the other hand, jump-slashing motherfuckers on the reg? FUN.