1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This game is great but has a horrible community.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samort7, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'm saying this as a community member, not a guard; please don't complain if you're not going to make any effort to solve the issue. Out of all the people complaining about abusive guards, not a single one has been booted out of the staff since many months back. Indeed, if there is such a huge issue with guards killing the playerbase, why has the staff list remained almost completely unchanged? Is there actually an issue, or are people simply venting through means that don't contribute toward a solution?

I implore you: point fingers. If there's a rotten apple, gather what evidence you have and tell the people who can do something about it; all it takes to bring such issues to proper attention is a PM to Shadlington and Furai. Bad conduct from a guard is taken extremely seriously, and assuming the case has actual merit, judgment will be swift.

2. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

I think the issue here is players confusing server admins with guards. There was someone complaining about admin abuse on the IRC a few days ago, and everyone who replied said something along the lines of "admins can do whatever they want; it's their server." Ignorant players figure if they have freezing powers, they're automatically a guard.

3. No that. I said it before that. I've said it heaps, people just ignore and sorry I don't bribe. If you're thinking about bribing then you may want to talk to someone for being able to get real world free stuff for playing on their server *cough*. Also its mainly not on that server.

That is, I'm not talking about that server. I'm talking about something else.

4. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Oh do tell! What is this "something else" I am rather intrigued and wish to know.

5. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I'm calling shenanigans on all this shit. I sincerely hate how much you people give us admins/guards/etc. a bad name. It's pathetic and frankly disgusting, especially since it's all hush hush and people like soulrealm are pointing fingers without actually pointing fingers. If you're gonna talk shit on people, grow a pair and point the finger. Generally, while I might be considered one of these "corrupt" admins because I mute/ban people who are being dicks/antagonizing other players, I don't think I'm "corrupt," a word soulrealm enjoys throwing around. A LOT. Just because there are a small number of admins who like to throw their weight around (and I can count the number that are still around on one hand) doesn't mean the general admin/guard playerbase is "corrupt". I like to call it childish, but whatevs.

Really dudes, if you've played on a server and the admins/players/maps/whatever left a bad taste in your mouth, why is it so difficult to just not play there? I've been pondering this since this discussion of "corruption" (I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh at this shitty descriptive) and frankly, I think some people (like soulrealm) have an agenda and feel they're fulfilling some kind of moral crusade by preaching to the choir.

We KNOW there are shitty admins. There have been shitty admins for as long as I've been around. I remember when I first started playing, I chased down an admin into a small tunnel that he couldn't block off. So instead of accepting his death he froze me and tried to get away. I've seen admins abusing editor to place a bedrock box around the enemy's spawn, skybridges made of stone, and anything else you can imagine.

tl;dr: If you don't like a server or it's admins or it's fucking build phase time, don't play on it. If you're gonna talk shit on someone, talk shit. Don't pull the "I MEAN THIS IN GENERAL TERMS" because shitty admins are not a general thing. Very few servers have what I classify as shitty admins, so if you're gonna call people out, fucking do it.

/rant

One and Hella like this.
  6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Bloody hell, I go away for a week and... >.<

@soulrealm and everyone arguing with him: IF YOU DO NOT TAKE YOUR SQUABBLINGS TO PM I WILL BE HANDING OUT INFRACTIONS FOR *EVERY*SINGLE*FRINKING*POST* YOU GUYS HAVE MADE IN THIS THREAD! :>:(: !!! :skull:

Srsly guys, this thread is for discussing the face the KAG community presents to newcomers and dramas about corruption and bribing are off-topic and have no place here. Wading through the garbage that's been spouted I'm having trouble determining exactly where the line was crossed between 'slightly-but-not-too-off-topic' & 'obviously off-topic' and exactly who is implicated in crossing said line. Thus I've decided to let the whole thing stand as it is on the condition that you cease posting about it in this thread and instead take it to flaming PM like you should have buggering well have done in the first place! :bird:

@everyone else: Please feel free to keep discussing the ins & outs of community building and how we could create a more welcoming environment for newer players. Please do not post about Guard abuse here, instead please refer to Kyzak's excellent post.

Thank you all for your cooperation. I will now return to my cranky cave. :huh?:

Razi likes this.
  7. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

guyzzzz fuzzy is aboosing meeee (jk)
    really the community is so and so, some of them are gud but the rest are bags of scum

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Honest? This game has one of the best online communities I've ever seen. It's the only thing that has kept me around. You obviously need thick skin (bluigi is always calling me a homosex) but everyone is great. They're all friends to me.

9. Schizoid

Schizoid Ballista Bolt Thrower

I can agree. Kag's community has the biggest amount of potential philosophers and decently smart kids I've seen in any multiplayer game society. I don't know if it's entirely correct to call it "THE BEST", but I know it's good.

10. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

I like the society here, and basiccally the meanest person ive met is ej, and that's not sayin much >.> But seriously, i've never been banned for some unknown reason, which is the reason this place has a horrible community?? (I'm not entirely sure)... As far as I've seen, Everyone wants to help you as long your not a dick.

11. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Shush, Schizo, you know KAG is best community.

And, honestly, KAG is great, apart from the inherent choice dickwranglers.

*worms desperately back into FBB's affections*

//Shush, you; even when I kill you you know I still love you.

thebonesauce and Razi like this.
  12. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

To be honest the kag community is alright but it depends on which server you are on and whose the admin there... I've been called mean things, even on a profile page (not naming names) and also my buildings hav been called horrible, so the kag community can be a bit rough, but once people start to know you, they dont think you'll grief, today I was on a server and because I tried to Chang teams but it won't let me since I just joined, i couldn't move, I accidently right clicked as a builder in front of an admin. :/ i don't know why but I wasn't frozen.

The kag community is not used to newbies, but the game does provide a builder tutorial, just press solo and the builder button. Also there is knight as a solo which you can practice knight and archur and with a bit of modding you can add bombs and builder. On the dev blog and on here, the guards etc. said there will be video's helping newbies and older players alike.
    There is a modding forum, and is somethings to help you and will be more in th future, the guards and the kag team are doing great, there making things basic for biggeners and there are things a bit more challenging for expeirenced players. The future of this game looks promising, sorry if you leave the game because of the communtity.

P.S sorry if this comment was a bit off-topic
    //Not at all, your thoughts are most pertinent.

Kyzak and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  13. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Wait, didn't we have the Beginner checkboxsetup so that this sort of thing stopped happening?

Well at least it isn't as heard of as before.

The community at least that OP is referring to is not the problem, the problem has always been and probably will continue to be in KAG's regards the fact that picking up the game is not easy, no one cares to actually make a way for newbies to learn because when everyone cared to do it the tools were not provided (when it started with we'll start giving you X back in January signs were fucking #1 because people wanted to do this, where is it now? Still not implemented), so now it's never been done because how do I automatically signify other than with signs someone what this building does, why it does it, etc?

A lot of us could have easily setup newb servers and were waiting for that feature to do so that would teach them, hell on regular servers we could set up signs explaining NOT to build ground doors, etc, but since it was never done, it's kind of a bygone thing now and oh well \o/

KAG's numbers have fallen so much that the care level is low, it might garner new attention after the scripting update when people can actually do these things, but they'll never learn to play classic KAG from it since it's so different.

You probably did a worse job putting them on the ground. I think I was around that day as I remember someone getting banned for that, but don't recall who it was, just recall in mumble someone saying "Some faggot is building ground doors", and literally 2 seconds later the enemy reaches the doors and the same idiot held the doors open and there went the whole fucking tower, so he was banned.

Most of the time you see someone just banned it's probably going to be me, I'll freeze them, wait for a response, I get none? Ban. Usually only after doing something that stupid.

Minecrafters, tell them to get to the front line and stop minecrafting once, twice, maybe three times, if I've respawned 3 times and I still see you minecrafting behind ht ebase and have never once seen you at any of the front lines, you are probably gonna just be banned.

The reasoning is simple, bad players easily ruin the game. When we're playing games on the Action server generally the streamroll wins are not because one team is so much better but because the other team has so many useless players that are doing nothing be that:
    1)day 1 newbies - don't know what the fuck to do
    2)minecrafters - wasting everyone's time/slots on the team to decorate
    3)idlers - running around doing nothing, at, all, usually just kicked cause probably afk a bit.

That said if I ever ban someone without talking to them and they write me on the forums they get unbanned, almost always whether deserved or not (unless you're someone like rusher lol), simply because of the fact that them being on the forums means that they probably will actually become a bit more familiar with the game and have access now, or have shown to, the builder forums etc, which means there is a chance they'll actually at some point become useful members and not space-wasting-builders.

90% of the people I ban are builders
    ;_;

lol homoluster

e:
    Almost forgot, it's like everyone forgot the entire problem we had for the longest time, which is still this exact same problem, people who are new and refuse help, there is one thing about wanting to learn the game and make your own mistakes, and there is another thing about making them to make us lose a match. I was a bit more tolerant about this when I played like 12hours a day, but now that I play maybe 1-2 matches a day, yes I get pissed when someone makes a tower to the heavens, or when someone decides it's a good idea to dig through something without placing background to put doors. 80% of the time during build time I need editor on to stop collapses right after freezing someone before they happen, it's fucking insane.

e2:Speaking of not newb friendly, stop editing posts you damn mods and post a goddamn post yourself, that just confuses forum newbs.

PumpkingSlice, Kyzak, Beef and 3 others like this.
  14. Hella

The thing about people playing like idiots, with absurd tactics and stupidly designed towers, is that they are either new to the game, and inexperienced, or long time players, who do it for the sake of it. If a meticulously awful strategy wins the game for you, then you are truly pleased.

15. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

tdlr.

Anyway, there are no beginner CTF servers.
    And people can be noob like shit, but you can still act normal to them. Just saying.

16. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

too dicked long read?
    I won't write a long post in a thread like this unless it has a point.

We've tried that before, there are literally 3 threads with 20+ pages about exactly why helping out newbies instead of ignoring/banning them doesn't work, when you just tell someone without being admin that what they're doing is bad and try to explain to them a better way of doing it 9/10 times they tell you to fuck off or something.

When I ran into the 1/10 usually I became instant friends with them

The 1/10 are usually great, but the other 9... fuck them in the ass you are better off banning them cause they'll start griefing soon after if you keep telling them they're bad.

Beef and Schizoid like this.
  17. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I do it because it lets other forum uses know that yes there are mods watching and yes they are okay with said post (so don't go posting off-topic junk about how said post is off-topic when it's really not pleaseandthankyou) without creating an off-topic post. Additionally, by editing there's nothing for people to a) needlessly reply to or b) needlessly 'like'--both of which tend to happen otherwise.

If anyone has more questions/comments about the practice please PM me about it as I will burn any reply/reference to this post in this thread with Infract-O-Fireā„¢ for being needlessly off-topic.

18. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester

I am truly pleased whenever I find someone helping a new player. It's means that he is nice enough to stop playing to give a hand to the new guy, and that the new guy is willing to listen.

I don't think the cenario is that bad as Luigi affirm, but he has a point: Not everyone is willing to listen.

19. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

• Flaming
    the worst players since (insert player name) : Edit: fixed
    Afk players that never get kicked, due to the fact they need 5 players to kick with only 3 players on your team
    Edi
    im srry it was meant to be a joke, cruel none the less but a joke. it was never meant to be mean, i am genuinely sad that he left

20. Hella

GT. Don't be mean to PumpkingSlice behind his back; he was annoying, but he wasn't necessarily a bad player. I could highlight the problems of many well-known players on KAG, but I don't, because I respect most of them.

Don't be a dick unless they actively deserve it.