1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Realistic water!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flipperz, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

2. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

No, Water isn't a block, it's still the same as before but it's just local now.

3. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Terraria only lagged since the water were individual blocks, that flowed and moved. This type of water looks more like minecraft. Whick is alot better lag wise.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It's very cheap to sync and the logic runs on the server, meaning there's no processing overhead other than rendering for the client, which means it doesn't increase the CPU requirements of the game. I'll be making the rendering even cheaper (no alpha blending) for those with truly awful graphics cards if needed.

It's also entirely optional as to whether a server has water on it or not, of course.

I only implemented it because I realised it could be done cheaply with a bit of networking trickery. It's not "flowing water" in that it doesn't move around, only fills space much like water in minecraft classic. Pumping and whatnot aren't possible, but it _is_ much more dynamic than the current water solution and it does allow you to mine under lakes and whatnot (and flood the enemy's tunnel).

GloriousToast, dnmr, Fate and 5 others like this.
  5. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Just wonderin' - Will the water infinitely flow wherever it can, and can only be destroyed by placing blocks over it. I hope that it works like the minecraft system. (Basically the same thing, but if you destroy the source block it will stop 'flowing').

6. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Yeah I'd like to know if water can be cut off by eliminating the source, or, whether water will remain regardless. Bit surprised to hear that KAG has any footprint whatsoever on your graphics card though unless it's from the mid 90s or something, would have thought your processor was by far the most important thing for KAG and nothing else really made any difference.

7. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

So, it's random areas of water?

8. flipperz

flipperz Shopkeep Stealer

i played terraria on my 1 gig ram netbook. and i didn't lag. wow fate you have a bad computer o_o

9. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

You are mistaking lag with low fps. What I meant that in multiplayer games, whenever water was moved, my latency would skyrocket (ping shot up to 5000-15000).
    So, to specify, I had very bad internet (but the way how multiplayer works in Terraria overall, is bad for people who have really bad upload speeds).

(Not denying I have a bad computer though)

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It will remain regardless, there is no "source". Naturally it cant be placed by players in vanilla, because a block of water atop a mountain can flood the whole world.

This makes preventing world-ending floods an issue of map design, which is a good thing in my estimations.

The flooding could also feasibly be used as a sudden death when time's run out.

11. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

Reminds me of the old old old Minecraft days where I'd go on every server I could to flood it. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.