1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress - Praise Armok!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by TerryDactyl, Jun 3, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. cyrakmine

cyrakmine Shipwright

Im sure that there has been plenty of threads on this forum about this amazing game but i have seen none lately. Drawf Fortress is a unique birds eye view game with millons of possibilities, litterally. You start with a band of 7 dwarfs and you must build your vast empire making food and alcohol for your dwarves. There is one problem though, monsters. hundreds possibly thousands of evil mobs in this game and you, your dwarves i mean must fend them off so save your fortress. Play dwarf Fortress learn more here http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ and also one of the most valuable tools i ever found for this game http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

dwarf fort meme.jpg < read this *warning offensive language*

//Threads merged.

BlueLuigi and Wonkyth like this.
  2. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

FUN
    FunComic.png

3. I'll never forget the first and only time I successfully invaded hell using only melee soldiers.
    Trained to Legendary +5 in all of their stats, coated in adamantine armor...

Lost about half the army (that's 40 dwarves) in the first wave, but destroyed the first wave. The roving bands of clowns then took out the civilian fort while the remaining, injured soldiers fought off the ones in the depths.

The last dwarf to survive the fall of Sabreheals lay in hell, with his legs torn off, semi-conscious... He lay there for months, until he finally began to drag himself up to find some alcohol. His legs had stopped bleeding; over near him they lay, but he doggedly pulled himself upstairs. He slew three clowns on the way before finally succumbing to melancholy.

4. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

Never played it before, but i will soon!
    I am currently having a planet-wide battle of getting the phoebus tileset to work!

5. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Still never successfully made my way into hell. Always screw something up and have a boring lava-y death.

6. I still keep meaning to set up a KAG DF Community Fortress. Might do it during mid-year semester break.

CheeseMeister likes this.
  7. Wonkyth

Haha, I might be up for that! A little, at least ;)

8. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

I don't see the point, personally. Nevermind that a fort takes *dozens* of hours to mature (anyway) ~ you're just flushing it down the drain. Which is fine when there's no longer a challenge... except that so much of the game is in building something new. Testing and debugging your machines, etc.

I usually get bored before then. I've seen the magma sea, and mined adamantium once. I've colonized the first cavern, and made my dwarves a presence in the second...

But there's no danger rooms in my forts, and strict limits on the use of cage traps. Meat grinders are generally a no-no, too. The more complex a trap may be, the more acceptable it is, etc. There's so many ways to cheat this game it's silly.

Sieges aren't a big problem (sometimes I play Fortress Defense mod) since I typically start out with a dwarf who specializing in teaching & leadership, and start his military training within the first few months. Within maybe two years I have got a few legendary fighters, and then I start training up the archers...

9. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Why not do a round robin thingum Let's Play, and chronicle each of your turns, in the manner of previous examples (Boatmurdered, Headshoots, etc.)

I'd be prepared to learn how to play to join in with that, because it would be fun as hell.

TerryDactyl likes this.
  10. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

That would be fun and im guaranteed to FUN IT TO THE GROUND IMMEDIATELY, mostly bc im still pretty newb at it.

11. Wonkyth

Hehe, I only just recently started using my Manager! xD

12. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

Anytime i play DF, i use the Lazy Newb Pack.

But i always die soon after starting due to aquifiers :l

13. Noburu

My only real issue with DF is the horrible inconsistency in the menu layouts and operation and the damn near requirement to use dwarf therapist.

14. Wonkyth

I never use Dwarf Therapist. :P

Chinizz likes this.
  15. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

Wonkyth - that's insane. :huh?:
    Unless, you mean that you're using the integrated labours utility which comes bundled with DFHack.
    The game is virtually unplayable without 3rd party utilities. It's part of the charm.

Noburu likes this.
  16. Noburu

hes a complete masochist.

Beef likes this.
  17. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

I'm a masochist to. I'm a complet newb and I don't use DF Therapist or DF Hack. But aren't DF players all masochist?

18. Wonkyth

No, like, I only use vanilla DF, on it's own... >_>

19. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

I prefer chocolate.

How do you not play without any tilesets?!? o_o

play without a tileset*

Edit for them double negatives.

20. Noburu

To many abstract symbols and colors to remember what teh fucks what. I would much rather just be able to look real fast and not have to manually inspect EVERYTHING!

Froghead48 likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi