1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Scripting Build Videos

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gunnar, Dec 30, 2012.

1. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

I'm pretty sure there were some sprites and what not showing that there would be more directions to attack in, so it will probably get more complex than easier.

2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Combat doesn't need to get more complicated to get better. We just need some better hit detection and rebalance of Knights' shield vs. stab vs. swing mechanics.

That said, even if the vanilla game doesn't get the balance perfect, modders will probably mess with it until we're satisfied anyway. But I have faith in the devs.

Froghead48 and Grindle like this.
  3. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

so Geti, are you preparing the long list of things that have been changed or are you going to be handing us a box containing kag version 1.0 and we have to figure out what is in it. will these videos prepare us for most if not all the new stuff?

Grindle likes this.
  4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Hmm. :huh?:

Just a friendly note to remind people that flaming & associated behaviour will earn you my ire. Fyi, there are a few people here who are straying dangerously close to that edge. Protip: turn back now while you still can. :skull:

Bly and Gofio like this.
  5. Well, I presume that I'm one of 'em but I didn't see other way to put it straight to GloriousToast for the third time without using a hammer.

Yes, GloriousToast, you're right. This is KAG. But as you may or may not noticed it isn't called without a purpose NEW KAG in opposition to CLASSIC KAG you're playing right now. It's a completely new game based on so called classic KAG. The graphics may look the same etc. but underneath as stated many times here by devs and testers before it's something completely different. If you still don't get it then improve your reading comprehensions.

Otherwise, this looks fucking awesome. Can't wait for more videos! ;)

6. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

All of me says STOP THE VIDEOS, AND RELEASE!!!
    </br>--- merged: Dec 31, 2012 1:05 AM ---</br>
    Speaking of Zombie Fortress and New KAG, if the shops, or if you can make saws in Zombie Fortress, there's a trap that is a good way to kill zombies. Dig a pit, drop in a crate, deploy a saw, Bam! Instant zombie killer.

7. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

i suspect that the devs will balance it some how (ruin it) some how similar to how they ruined spikes :/

8. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Nice. What about GUI graphics and GUI logic? And how about the game background and the other parallax elements like clouds, are those all moddable too?

EDIT:
    Noted, I'll keep you in mind when the time comes. Got any examples of your work to look at in the meantime?

9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There'll be more videos before a release; we want to get it done before putting it in your hands :)

GUI graphics ingame etc are all moddable, HUD is just scripts, the pre-game stuff is technically moddable but its all yucky XML and generally so ugly I don't even like changing them. Game backgrounds and parralax are just PNGs, they're hardcoded though. Since they have no bearing on how the game plays, it's incredibly low priority to change them.

10. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

GloriousBread, I would look less toward what the devs have in store for us and more toward what we have in store for the devs. Like Geti said, we will be able to change almost anything with scripting. Gameplay balance is extremely subjective, thus I think it's impossible for the devs to satisfy everyone with what they've created by themselves.

11. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

A nerf to buildings/defense is long overdue, I trust this is the 'need doors on ground level' idea you mentioned months ago. I fear it may have unintended consequences though.

You would prob be opposed to the idea for several reasons, but it would be neat to have a community-run asset server; so if a project reaches a certain level of interest on the forums the server-managers will inspect the assets, and add it to the server.

Xanoxis-Rawr and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  12. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Aww, I'm happy about the GUI, but its a shame about the background elements. That kind of limits what you could do to expand the environments. While that won't probably prevent me from making new blocks with new behaviours (like sand, for desert biomes), it will look akward if the background image remains as it is by default.

Also, one more question!

What about water? Can you mod that into lava or acid and have different liquids appear on the same level? (So its not "only water" or "only lava" and "not both").

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

1) you can change the image, it's just loaded from a .png. you just have no control over adding new layers/removing old ones.
    2) we tried making scripted flood fill layers, but performance was unbearable. It needs to be implemented in very, very optimised native code to have a hope of running at 30fps. A hacked together layer of things like the "water" in cortex command is of course, possible though. You have an amazing amount of animation potential with the sprite layers.

Seriously, just wait for the release, it will answer your questions about what you can and can't do. There are some things that are handled by the engine for performance or convenience reasons (like the water and the parallax stuff, and the syncing of hitting and whatnot) - but in terms of actual game object content, everything is data driven.

Yes, there will be edge cases that sadly just "cant be done", but for comparison with cortex command, adding custom wounding at either end (object hitting the object, or the object getting hit) is something we've had to do in the course of making the game - so that players bleed when you hit them with "most things" (but not all), and so that bombs cause knockback on everything they hit. Attaching objects to other objects is a matter of calling a few functions. There's a synced inventory system. Theres a versatile multi-layered fast-as-fuck sprite rendering system. All of it is plugged into the scripting system.
    It's a moddable, networked game engine with destructible terrain. There are limitations, but it will be a seriously long time before the available possibilities are exhausted.

Bly, xChapx, Reactorcore and 2 others like this.
  14. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

You COULD make a notched wall, but due to what Ej was saying, you couldn't CLIMB up the notches? Oh well, we can use trapbridges ;)

15. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

I assume things like the backgrounds will be done last to allow for more major things to be completed so near release polishing can be done. Why not create your own and submit it to us and maybe have it included, if it is good enough? We'll see.

16. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Nope ;)

The gist of the whole thing is to get rid of the ridiculous height of towers and the gay gameplay it produces, the guys also mentioned that notching might get back into scripting build depending on how testing goes, but if it is there will be no one way/team only version of it.

To clarify

I really can't conceive of how a well built castle might look now, which makes everything alot more exciting. Everything is gonna be alot more creative and alot less impenetrable, doesn't look the invincible block castle with 8 archers camping on top is gonna have any equivalent in scripting.

17. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

Oh. Mmk.

18. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Coming from a tester, I can't say I miss notching and team-specific vertical jumping. Playing through a few rounds, and this game is just as fun (if not more so) than it used to be.

Someone said they wonder if fall trees hurts players... I don't see any harm in saying this. YES.

Froghead48, Foxodi and goodyman8 like this.
  19. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

20. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I can say that the sprites are fucking gorgeous. :)

BlauweSmurf likes this.