1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

FTL - Faster Than Light

Discussion in 'Other games' started by dragon4045, Oct 12, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Key word: luck. ;)

2. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

Well its all luck, I still don't have the rock ship although it's really one of the easier ones to get. Mantis is a bit harder and Crystal ship is stupidly hard to get.

By the way I heard the Layout B of the rock ship rules big time, though it's the only one without airlocks.

3. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

It is indeed an awesome game.

4. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

If you trust blindly luck to unlock all the ships, you will certainly get bored of the game much before you get half of them. Most of them require to have a certain system upgrade, a certain crew member, find the corresponding homeworld, come across the necessary event, and then don't screw up the mission (which is easy to do). The chance of all of that happening by chance in a single run are well below 2% for most ships.
    Luckily, you can read the wiki to find what you need to unlock each one. After that, you have good chances of unlocking some ship every run. Except the crystal one, that's overwhelmingly ridiculous to unlock even knowing the steps.
    I recommend to read the steps even in spite of the "spoilers", because the variety of ships is one of the best features of the game, and one that you'll probably miss if you trust in luck alone.

5. Lieber

There is a mod to make the Crystal Ship easier to unlock.

6. Lord_bugg

Lord_bugg Smashing Donator

But surely that ruins the challenge, the challenging and fustrating achievment that then is very satisfying when you get it is a great part of every game.

7. Lieber

That is why I didn't download the mod. I agree, the feeling you get when you unlock stuff or when you reach a goal in a game is wonderful.

Razzey likes this.
  8. Razzey

Razzey Builder Stabber

Yeah.. I prefer to play games without wikis or cheats because I like that feeling of.. adventure.. only graphics mods ;)

9. miketh2005

miketh2005 Arsonist

Too much luck involved in the game. Quit after I beat the boss and saw all the dialogue (which wasn't much) as there is nothing else to do. For all the money they made in Kickstarting the game I can't believe they release such a small short game like this with not very much in it. Doesn't feel like a complete game. The Kickstarters got ripped off. I emailed them and they said they don't want to hire anymore people. Why? I don't understand it.

10. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

[​IMG]

Finally!

High Score.jpg

Best run I ever had. Look at the sweet weapons and the defense drones! I also finally unlocked the Mantis Cruiser on my way to the boss and got scrap like crazy all along the way.

I had a pro Mantis that killed 21 people and a veteran rock as well. Stupidly enough I lost em shortly before the showdown by what I think is a bug. I ordered them into another room on an enemy ship but they had reinforced doors, so while they were hitting the doors I couldn't teleport them back for some retarded nonreason.

If I had more crew I could have managed with much less damage to my hull as well. When confronting the boss I only had 5 people on my ship, so teleporting only worked into the weapon rooms, the main body was swarming with enemies and I would have surely died.

Oddly enough that is not even my best score, which is 4368.
    </br>--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 5:58 PM ---</br>
    Today I tried again with the Mantis Cruiser that I longed to play for quite some time. At first this ship really takes a beating but you can also get a lot more scrap from killing entire crews by teleporting two of your mantis' over.

Success on my first try - this time I managed to keep all my people alive until the final boss fight, where two unfortunately perished - they teleported one nanosecond before the enemy crew managed to partially repair their medbay. Really bad timing and no escape through the doors either :(

Apart from that however, today I beat the boss very confidently - killed all the crew until AI took over, only took 7 damage throughout all 3 stages of the flagship. Unlocked Layout B on my way, too. :):thumbs_up:

Razi, Bene and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  11. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Killing entire crews is one of the reasons why I love the Slug ship so much. :3

12. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

Still gotta unlock that one :(

I heard you gotta let the slugs that try to parley get away with choosing them to give you whatever it is they have in their storage in exchange for their lives. Problem is they are such goddamn scamming dicks that I'm always tempted to kill them all.

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I believe you also need a slug crew member, iirc.

14. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

Or alternatively sensor level 2 or 3 I think.

Anyway FTL is 50% off Steam right now, so time to get it for whoever hasn't yet ;)

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  15. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

the cheapest trick i know is get 2 or more ion blasts on the ship, then disable shields, weapons and O2 :D then they enemy crew all die from lack of air :D:bird:

16. Graver

Graver Haxor

A.W.E.S.O.M.E! I love this game!

Mods: BlueLuigi