1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Scripting Build Videos

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gunnar, Dec 30, 2012.

1. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

That interface is awesome, the airscrew is pretty cool too don't get me wrong ;) loving that there's been some pre-release modding going on though. While I have KAG nicely lubed up to bum, I like the little detail with the bombs rolling around, rather then acting like they have a half ton of uranium crammed in the bottom to keep it perfectly upright at all time.

2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Yes, the Airscrew is what I've been pressing Geti to post up. :D It's simple but fun; the whole idea behind it is that it can hold one pilot plus two other passengers... Meaning one person piloting it with two knights raining bombs from above, or two archers raining arrows onto the heads of poor saps not under cover...

I really wanted Geti to post it (regardless of how dated it is) because it shows off the modding aspect, whereas all videos of 1.0 released up to this point have been about WAR mode. I'm glad he decided to post it, because you all know what this means, guys...

AIRSHIPS.

3. AIIIIRSSSHIIIIIPPPS

4. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Can you create completely new game modes?

Because that's pretty much what I meant by when I said "changing the metagame logic". I don't want to recreate KAG from scratch with KAGs engine for billy-bobs sake, but the plans I have for a game mode are extensive enough to make it play fundamentally different from the supposed vanilla KAG gameplay. Kind of like how classic KAG is different to new KAG.

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Short answer: yes. If it weren't possible then why would I be coding a dragon? :p

GloriousToast and Froghead48 like this.
  6. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

A dragon class that costed plenty of resources would be fun.
    I can imagine a dragin floating over battlments spewing fire as archers perish and bravely shoot arrows at it.

7. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Simply coding a dragon NPC can work just as well without needing an entire game mode, unless its completely based on it as a central objective and not just a monster or a ridable mount.

But anyway, so you can define starting conditions, winning/losing conditions, ambient events, control the environment (custom day/night cycle, or is that a hardcoded thing?) and control the behaviour of generic entities (like clouds or tornados) as a part of the game mode script?

8. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I'll say no more atm, but that would be the intent. ;)
    To most of your Qs: yes. Specifically: I can't comment on day/night (apart from custom lengths being an easy thing to tweak) but I'd imagine you could get pretty funky with them if you'd like; I don't know about clouds etc. apart from what Geti's said about the parallax being hardcoded at this point in time.

Fwiw, I've only begun to scratch the surface of the engine (incomplete as it is!) and the potential is pretty impressive. If you wanted to make a racing mod, or a RTS mod, or an in-depth single player campaign complete with events, triggers and multiple endings--all those and more are very do-able. I realise it can be frustrating trying to build a picture of what to expect, but believe me when I say that, unless I'm widely off the mark, I think you'll be pleased when you get your hands on it. :)

9. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Sounds good, thats what I wanted to hear.

About the clouds, I didn't mean the background layer clouds, but making an actual physical object or npc based cloud that the gamemode script would control and move. So you can have interactive clouds and float in the air, pour rain and lightning below them.

10. FuzzyBlueBaron

Ah, now I get you. :D

Yes, such a thing should be do-able. Very do-able indeed. :)

Quimbo and Reactorcore like this.
  11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yes. That's what "game rules" entails. I've said about 3 times now that game rules are 100% run by scripts. Literally all of the gamemode code (including a few core classes building on the hardcoded stuff to make everything simpler to start on, more visible, and more modifiable, and to provide a reusable base for us...) for WAR and TDM (and the lack of code behind sandbox) is all scripts. Not "scripted", as in tacked onto the engine code which does the heavy lifting, it's just written in scripts.

If you can write some code that tells the computer to do what you want, you can do most things with this system. If you want a scripted procedural weather storm or whatever, you can have that. You just have to write code that says "make a tornado, move it here, move it there, make it go away". If we didn't have an API that let you do that, how would we be making KAG using it? :P

This is why you saying stuff that comes off on first (and second) glance as "oh mang this is shiet you should b able to mak other stuff and bad devs derail the gam and brek my visions" comes off as a kick in the face to the testers and to us - you can make other stuff, it's got limitations but it's by no means limited. We do actually need to ship the game at some point what with needing to eat food and pay rent.

Trying as hard as I can not to get riled up about this stuff since the mood seems a little more chill than a page or two ago.

Froghead48 and mishKa like this.
  12. mishKa

mishKa Mayo for everybody. ┗┃・ ■ ・┃┛ Donator

Probably thanks to you(=kagdev) I can finally fulfill a childhood dream of mine! I'm pretty much pissed off the fact that people demand and do nothing. I'm also sad to read comments, which relies on personal "facts". Be open minded you fools. Cheers:)

dnmr and Froghead48 like this.
  13. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

I totally understand you can't do everything at once and the fact that you need money to survive, but I'm just tired and frustrated to put effort into making something cool, for free as a mod and then on top of that have to deal with "hacking things" to get the to work or having my work as a modder get wasted because the modding system was unstable or under-developed to begin with.

This has nothing to do with my visions or my pride, its about checking that it won't be a fools errand to create mods using your modding system.

14. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

What is that dream about, making a videogame?

15. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Future update will be awesome. Just imagine thunders, underground floods in zombie server to force guys to get outside, block rains, and winning when 20 Zombie Knights died.

It will be just awesome.

There is no person in the world who can waiting the update like me... I think about it all my nights ( Not so much but it's close to that :D)... If only my dream can realise, getting the test build. I want it so much, I can pay all my money for it :eek:

16. AsuMagic...one word: FLOODTRAP

17. Razzey

Razzey Builder Stabber

You gave me an awesome idea.. hmmm..
    :dirt::dirt::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::dirt::dirt:
    :dirt::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::dirt:
    :dirt::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::dirt:
    :dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt:
    or something like that.. AND EVERYONE WILL DROWN!!!

18. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

No, they can get out of that. Will be better if you add some blocks at top to prevent of escapers.
    HI REALISTIC AND MEDIEVAL TOWERS! :D

Froghead48 likes this.
  19. Water will be extremely useful thing to prevent siege machinery...if we will have ability to place water (buckets? (if we don't a good modder quickly makes buckets)).

Froghead48 likes this.