1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Stop already with calling the Scripting Build "KAG 1.0"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueLuigi, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Ah, yea I saw that, he usually calls it scripting build as well though, not sure why the change, but it's still a bad change.

2. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Dude seriously, the guy is one if not THE most active on the forums and a tester of the game the video pertains to, pretty sure he's noticed that.

*EDIT* nevermind
    </br>--- merged: Jan 17, 2013 11:07 PM ---</br>
    Anyway, scripting is the heart of the new release and it needs highlighting, only problem is for people that aren't already familiar with KAG or pay the grand sum of fuck all attention to it's development won't appreciate it's meaning for the future of the game. I'd go so far to say that it's probably off putting really to see a game that's strong selling point is that it's a pretty cool game with major modding potential, if your splashing cash on it you probably want something straight away and it gives a bit of the wrong impression to whatever is good that's already there. This is obviously catering to idiots somewhat, but blatently some idiots are gonna have to buy and enjoy the game to keep MM/geti eating tinned beans. This isn't to say that I think 1.0 is a good name at all, just the traditional forum accepted names aren't exactly awesome in terms of marketing.

AL3X_j_M likes this.
  3. Bint

Bint Haxor

Good point, the title of the newest video is actually "KAG 1.0..."
    I guess that's that sorted. Can we live in peace now?

4. BlueLuigi

No.

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Briefly: As people have already pointed out, the videos by MM have referred to sKAG as 'KAG 1.0'; I felt (and still feel) this lends some legitimacy to people referring to the scripting build by that name--at which point people asking for a name change (which isn't clear, btw, Blue; Box's post could just as easily be read as simply a grumpy old man shouting at kids to 'get off the damn lawn') need to provide reasons for said name change.

As I have iterated before: It wasn't a matter disagreeing with the content of said post; I saw an off-topic opinion and I deleted it. EoD.
    ----

In other news, Blue, seeing as the 'KAG 1.0' dealio is a driving concern of yours, I hope you'll be taking the first opportunity to chat with MM about it; because you know as well as I that he's unlikely to see it here on the forums.

6. BlueLuigi

I will when I catch him on, usually I am only on at the same time in the mornings, so probably tomorrow morning for me.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  7. AL3X_j_M

AL3X_j_M Shipwright

It's not that big of a deal, I'm sure there's been at least one other indie title that presented an unfinished product as 1.0, and has done just fine. Also, Blue, you seem a bit overbearing about how the title should be called this or that, when in reality it's not the community's decision; if the release of KAG is referred to as 1.0 it's unlikely that an implosion of catastrophic proportions will tear the game asunder.

8. Bint

Bint Haxor

So are you referring to the current build when you say "stop calling it KAG 1.0" or the next major change when they add boats and farming and all that jazz. I don't think anyone's calling this version 1.0 but the next will be, so how can you say it shouldn't be called that because of all the bugs, it hasn't even been finished or released yet.

9. Bint

Bint Haxor

Soz I was replying to BlueLuigi.

10. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Then why is all the dev blog shit KAG 1.0? :huh?:... If it wasnt actually classified as that then why would it be stated as that lol.. Argument Invalid.
    Stop trying to create Arguments Blue-kuns.

11. BlueLuigi

I never said it was, simply gave a reason, FBB blew it up by deleting posts/making a new thread over it.

The scripting build.

You should know by now that only the plebs get their info from the devlog. Direct>Forum>Blogs

12. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

can i just say that i sincerely dislike flame wars?

13. RobertStephenson

RobertStephenson Builder Stabber

Are we not getting slashing when the update comes?

14. BlueLuigi

No one likes flame wars, that's why there isn't one happening.

15. SlyStalker

is that so? if you dont mind my saying so, but you seem to have created a thread that has no meaning whatsoever than to bitch about the name of a game. that confuses me, especially when you say there isnt a flame war going on and you created this thread just to stop me saying 'KAG 1.0'. and as someone said earlier, MM DID call the next version 'KAG 1.0'

16. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I've read through most of this thread, but I may have missed a point. To re-phrase, BlueLuigi, you don't want the game to be called KAG 1.0, but rather "KAG scripting" or some variation of that? I understand your sentiment that sKAG/KAG 1.0 will be a completely different game, but I don't think "KAG scripting" is a good name in terms of PR. I can't imagine how will the devs market the game. (As "King Arthur's Gold: The Better Other Version"?)

Do you think it would be appropriate for a completely new name to be adopted? (The OP seems to suggest this, but I'm not sure.) If so, do we have any actual ideas? I like it when the community actually comes up with some solutions rather than just discussing the problems (not saying the discussion is bad).

AL3X_j_M likes this.
  17. BlueLuigi

Premium KAG was also slung around, KAG 1.0 doesn't really help, you could use another name, KAG 1.0 just doesn't fit, KAG scripting as that isn't so great either, but it fits better.

18. SlyStalker

really? so let me get this straight... you have no problem whatsoever about me saying 'KAG v1.0' or 'KAG 1.0'?

19. BlueLuigi

Read it again, no KAG 1.0 is a terrible name for it, call it that all you want but it's a stupid thing to reference it as, they should effectively come up with a different name for it or simply call it KAG and retire what is the current KAG to the name of classic KAG. Realistically however it isn't the same thing, there are many big differences which is the problem with calling it KAG 1.0.

If you called it KAG 2 for example that would at least imply that it is a sequel which would make more sense, KAG scripting might even make some sense as it is essentially KAG redone to be able to work alongside a scripting engine, KAG Premium as it is 'Premium' access only, golden KAG would even be slightly acceptable, KAG 1.0 however implies that it is simply a more feature complete version of what KAG is, that it hit some mark. Think of it this way, I'm a player that enjoyed KAG around build 100-300, but I quit playing for whatever reason or other.

I then hear of 'KAG v1.0', if I've ever played any other game I know that the v1.0 of any game is a feature full mostly bug free (at least the larger bugs/anything a player would usually run into that doesn't basically take levels of autism to find), so I come back and I get this, a game that is basically KAG except:
    1)Movement totally different
    2)Combat totally different (and slightly worse)
    3)Building totally different (and slightly better)
    4)No CTF (the gamemode that oh I don't know something like 60% of servers host?)
    5)No goldrush
    6)No inclusion of several other gamemodes that once upon a time did work, work currently, or elsewise.

Even if you didn't accept the idea that naming it to seem like a versioning scheme is wrong and that it has nothing to do with that, why would you not then call it KAG v2.0 to imply that it is newer and better, fresher, as the number 2 often suggests, instead?

20. Leoprime

Leoprime Shopkeep Stealer

King Arthur's War? :D

Rayne, AL3X_j_M and SlyStalker like this.