1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Scripting Build Videos

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gunnar, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm glad all the oldfags seem to like the silly archer run. Some of the responses on youtube had me feeling a little " :^/ " about it, but then I remembered the general opinion of the quality of youtube commentary.

The aim animation when zoomed in that much doesn't really do it justice, and there's more tweaking to be done, but it lets you see the aim of enemies and allies with so much more precision, and it saves me a lot of time animating - which can then be used for fixing bugs and adding more content.

I'm actually a little frustrated that that old footage was released just now, because it has the misaligned heads bug in there (see the "link" head being a pixel higher than it should be) and old, soft knockback mechanics.

Re: The chatbox/GUI - all of the gui sprites have actually been reworked to minimise the amount of space taken up by borders etc. The chatbox might be moved to top right and shrunk a little, we'll see. Its positioning is actually super important for the scripted parts of the GUI - the HUD is now down the bottom of the screen as you would have noticed, and the rules-specific parts like base HP, amount of food/units, who's alive, etc are in the top left, and can't extend too far across because the chatbox is currently there. We need to decide whether to include the minimap or not before we move the chat around though.

edit; oh yeah, for those questioning archer balance and whatnot - We've been optimising for the situations in game that provide the most fun:
    The situations we've focussed on have been: as a knight, when you're jumping over towers and cleaving groups of enemies asunder. As archer, delivering constant, accurate pain from a distance. As builder, either A) minecrafting for 20 years or B) providing an insistent support and leadership role (no points for guessing the one we'd rather you take).

Obviously, micro-level combat like the intricacies of knight and archer combat and so on have to be balanced a little less simply, through positioning importance and circles of power, but the main point of the game is to provide maximum enjoyment.

For those asking us to keep the mechanics exactly the same - what the hell would be the point of that? Classic isn't going anywhere, if you want to play exactly the same mechanics, you can play classic. We want to take this opportunity to iron out issues that we've seen for a long time.

DrZaloski, AcidSeth, xChapx and 19 others like this.
  2. Some people be high.

GloriousToast and SlyStalker like this.
  3. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

yeah i wouldnt trust the youtube commentary much :D i think the animation 1) is funny looking and fun to watch 2) is way better than any of my running/walking animations :p and 3) suits the archer

4. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

Making it the first choice makes it obvious that Geti and MM want us to be minecrafting till the ends of time! :D:D:D

GloriousToast and SlyStalker like this.
  5. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

@up
    *20 years later*
    Random guy: Why you didn't update game? It's like 6.2 version now, and you're playing on 1.0!
    Minecrafting player: L-leave me alone! I'm finishing that castle :QQ:

xChapx and JacKD like this.
  6. UltraMarine_Val

UltraMarine_Val Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

Can you just add a new gamemode ? "Classic CTF" no ?

7. Bint

Bint Haxor

There'll be two individual games won't there?

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

KAG classic will STILL have Zombies, classic CTF, and all the game modes we have AT THIS MOMENT. The scripting build is going to introduce WAR and other ways to change the game.

Stop asking questions that have been answered 20+ times already. :huh?:

Varion, Beef and 16th like this.
  9. Bookmark

Bookmark Haxor

I've already begun planning great things for the torture MOLE server. Placeable dirt that turns into explosive screaming boulders. I hope god may have mercy on your soul, for my mods will not.

But on a serious note, I feel like recreating zCTF properly. I know a few guys really enjoyed it when I had it up a long time ago.

DrZaloski, MooCowMan, Beef and 5 others like this.
  10. thebonesauce

Yes. Please. THIS.

11. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Great suffering fuck yes, if someone can make zombie fortress which has a decent asymmetrical PvP mode, that you can't just glitch yourself to safety, and has some sort of feeling of progression and endgame to it, or just any one of those, that'd fucktastic.

For the sake of all our sanity; adding CTF will be alot more work then you think it might be. There will inevitably be a CTF gamemode in the new game, whether the devs or community create it however we'll see, can also imagine the community making mods/a mod that emulate classic KAG gameplay too.

12. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

What is zCTF?

13. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Just as it seems. Zombie Capture the Flag.

14. thebonesauce

This is zCTF.

Varion, Beef, killatron46 and 3 others like this.
  15. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

Make the chat smaller but leave it in the center.
    With the HUD being in the middle now, both left and right are empty making it even between teams.

Question: Will the chatbox/HUD be customizable like for example in Soldat, meaning you can pick your own size rather than have two options (small HUD, big HUD) as well as importing custom interface?

FuzzyBlueBaron and Aer like this.
  16. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

I love that archers' walk.
    It looks like he could trip any moment.

AcidSeth likes this.
  17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: the chat stuff - I'll put it on the list of things to do. The HUD being in the middle is intended to remove the perceived team bias, not that I've ever felt that it caused much hassle, it's always nice to address concerns of the community.

The HUD stuff isn't currently customisable at all (no small hud option), but could technically be added. Because it's all in scripts (other than the chat box, though some of that could be exposed easily enough - it's part of the engine for the sake of being able to optimise how the chat messages are send and synced), it's accessible to you guys to mod. We'll likely add HUD specific configs for eager tinkerers at some point after all the gameplay stuff is actually ironed out.

16th likes this.
  18. DeathArrow

DeathArrow Catapult Fodder

This is sick really mad ;)

19. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Geti, for Small HUD option, I believe you'll delete the bar at down and add infos at the top of the player and / or in the inventory.

20. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

can I give a suggestion?
    add more emoticons, especially tactical emoticons.
    I'd love a shield tower emoticon, a "sync shots" emoticon, tunnellers! emoticon, etc, etc, etc.
    also add configurable emoticons. its annoying to have to search for the right emoticon, so it'd be nice to have our favirotes on the number keys.

NinjaCell, AcidSeth, feet and 5 others like this.