1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Unlimited Lives or Ticketed Matches?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mellian-Quar-Xililix, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Lives or no Lives?

1. Lives

65.0%
  2. No Lives

35.0%
  1. Mellian-Quar-Xililix

Mellian-Quar-Xililix Haxor

Which is one do you prefer and why?

I personally prefer ticketed matches. The endgame is the best part of ticketed matches, since I like how you can be the last ones who can bring your team to victory. I also like to see a game completed to conclusion within the time of an hour and not have it getting dragged on forever.

2. arcanecat

arcanecat Shark Slayer

Unlimited lives, well because being Builder matters alot more, when you can't bleed the enemy out of tickets(since the enemy keeps on coming), whatever choice you pick, its more of a personal preference.

3. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

I find unlimited lives to be better in the case of public matches with great skill discrepencies. They allow for a more reckless playstyle, not penalizing the team for the actions of a single bad player, and ensure that anyone can get "lucky" in taking down a team of knights that they otherwise shouldn't touch.

Think about the common situation of a good, tall cata. If a knight hops in and you launch him, he might take 2 damage and land behind enemy lines, where he'll more than likely die faster than he causes any actual damage (exceptional knights are just that, exceptional). With the unticketed system in place, that's just fine- if they feel they'll be useful by repeatedly getting launched in, good for them- it's no cost to you for a potential benefit. That same situation, however, in a ticketed scenario leads to speedy, speedy deaths - faster if a tunnel is involved. The person who mans the cata can't be bothered wasting time telling the paratrooper knights it's a bad idea, and they won't think twice about wasting tickets down to 0- an altogether stressful and unnecessarily irritating situation, for a public game.

The ticket system places the emphasis on killing your foes, often leading to turtling and key defensive strongpoints as the most rewarding strategy. This is cool for players of equally matched skill, who know what they're doing. The unticketed mode focuses on wasting the other team's time, distracting them and splitting them up. This allows even the Strathos-level structures to be penetrated for a more fluid and active game. Skilled plays (bombjumps, traps, 1 Knight Stands) are still rewarded- sometimes even being the last push needed for the win- but more often than not, it's the team's power and coordination, not any individual skill, that wins unticketed.

As to which is "better"? Obviously ticketed is more suited to proving which set of players has a skill advantage over the other, but unticketed is wanton, everybody-can-participate carnage. That's probably why Action Unlimited is always full.

I do think unticketed games could benefit by going "sudden death" at the end of the timer, placing the burden of pushing for the win on whoever has the map disadvantage. It'd provide a satisfying conclusion and maybe some unexpected turnarounds. Perhaps there could be "ticket generator" buildings that you could build with gold and a lot of coins (at least 100) which serve no other purpose than adding a ticket every 30 seconds during this sudden death round- again, putting more power to those who have a map advantage at this point.

4. tickets are gay camping

eot

AnRK likes this.
  5. master4523

master4523 Masterful KAG Guard Global Moderator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

I believe that Zuboki summed it up perfectly.

I do personally prefer taking part into a 20-minutes fight where every life counts and where you have the satisfaction of crushing the opponent's last lives, than wasting 40 minutes in a war with almost no strategy, and with your teammates running and dying as if they didn't care.
    I also like to know that all of my efforts were not vain. Most of the matches with unlimited tickets end up in a Draw. I don't mind whether if my team wins or looses, but what's worst than a Draw? No satisfaction at all for me, and that's why you won't see me on any of those unlimited servers.

6. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

I prefer ticketed matches. just because there is more skill involved. If done right unlimited can be fun too for the eason of sometimes huge battles that occur. Most of the time though, unlimited is pretty boring :dance: :teabag: :dance:

7. Andr01d

Andr01d Haxor

i hate most ticketed servers. flat maps, pit maps, more projectiles in the air than players in the game, etc.

Rayne likes this.
  8. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

-time runs out, fires start at both side borders of the map, burns inward... if you control the middle, you've got a better chance of winning. of course, by the time there's fire this may be obsolete. could do the same thing with DK barrels! xD

9. Bint

Bint Haxor

Or maybe a flood? :o

10. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

This may be more due to the larger player counts, but whenever I play Action Unlimited I feel like nothing I do matters. Every time I kill someone they'll just spawn a few seconds later, teleport to the front lines, and jump back into the knight mosh pit to die again. From what I've seen there aren't really any close games and if it isn't a draw your team was just running a train so hard your team would have won even if you were griefing them.

There also seems to be even more stalemate than on ticketed servers, the only difference being that rather than being due to camping, its due to ceaseless aggression. Unlimited servers also miss out on the really great clutch moments where the last guy on the team wiped out a dozen enemies for the win. Even when he doesn't win it's still hype to do pretty well against the odds or see an underdog unleash hell before dying.

I personally find unlimited servers to be yucky but it's no mark against people who do enjoy the format. It has that nostalgia factor where it's more like the old days where maps get twisted into all sorts of permutations (rather than just flat with towers like we see on normal servers) and I guess it can be more relaxing in of that you don't have to worry about lives or anything and you can just throw yourself into the chaos.

11. vampo

except this doesn't start at the edge of the maps and imho there is not much benefit to rewarding the tallest tower. flood doesn't reward map control. this has been done. it makes 0 tickets faster, but it also encourages people to build stupid single column ladder towers to the ceiling and win even if they were the losing team with less of the map in control... :rollseyes:

GloriousToast, Bint, Rayne and 3 others like this.
  12. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Tickets. Because that ensures that superior combat/tactics and NOT suicidal charges, leads to to victory. Plus you get a sense of satisfaction when you see the enemy numbers dropping.

13. cdog3773

cdog3773 Ballista Bolt Thrower

those ticketed servers with a lake in between islands has gotta be the crappiest idea ever, was there ever a time when that server was full?

14. RobertStephenson

RobertStephenson Builder Stabber

I prefer tickets, that way my traps have a real affect on he game. In unlimited materials are worth more than lives, that makes many of my traps pointless.

jeffeypop likes this.
  15. vampo

but it does make a different kind of trap valuable. get enough knights in a faustpit and you can stone them in. xD

16. Juaro

Juaro Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

I think Zuboki, master and Contrary pretty much summed it all up, so anything i would say now would just be a repost of what they said, so i'm just gonna say: I like playing on servers with tickets, maybe just for the mere fact i like to play the hero at the end (or fail horribly and get laughed at.)

17. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

cdog3773 raises an interesting point. Ticketed games are more susceptible to momentum, which is plainly evident in those lake servers. If you're playing a 5-on-5 match and you've got at least 1 good bombjumping knight, the other team doesn't stand a chance, due to the rain of bombs and constant interruption to their construction. Considering how small teams are in those servers, there's a very good chance of this happening, which usually leads to ragequits and a generally irritating game.

On the other hand- playing unlimited in a water map completely demystifies the water's effect, as it doesn't matter how many builders die swimming as long as they get their base up and functional.:huh?:

18. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Er not really? The whole point was to get fire and boats into that gamemode anyway, which never happened due to them wisely deciding to rebuild the game, water was not crossable easily due to a lack of boats, and the massive towers at either side were usually comprised from a minimum of 50% wood. Unless that is we're talking about another form of water map server, I can see 5vs5 been shit on a water map even with boats and whatever. That whole thing was never really finished which is why it was and still is rubbish, but yes, those servers were often full when that content was first released, until everyone understandably got pissed off with it as it wasn't a viable way to play.

19. airvortex

airvortex Catapult Fodder

I prefer ticketed matches since I tend to be better for some reason in the endgame :smug:

jeffeypop likes this.
  20. vampo

actually according to the laws of physics, i'll never do well in the end game:
    Kag Laws