1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Windows Bluescreen from Zombie Mode

Discussion in 'General Help' started by LunarNeil, Mar 9, 2013.

1. LunarNeil

LunarNeil Catapult Fodder

Hey forum, I had posted about this issue before to no avail, so I did some more tests:

In zombie mode I get bluescreened every single time. I have seen some similar behaviors that lead to this, I think my use of Trap Bridges above Spikes may have triggered it. I have never gotten Zombies to walk onto trap bridges without a bluescreen and subsequent restart of my entire system.

Is this a known error?

2. Leoprime

Leoprime Shopkeep Stealer

Could you post a screen shot of the blue screen?

Anded likes this.
  3. LunarNeil

No, it was a system bluescreen, my entire system was hosed so I couldn't take any screenshots.

The text on the bluescreen wasn't helpful, it was just a generic stop error and a memory location which I wrote down.

4. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Could you upload your dump files please?

5. LunarNeil

I'll do anything I can to help. Do you mean the WinXP dump files from my computer's crash, or are there dump files for King Arthur's Gold in specific?

I'm not getting memory errors normally in other usage, and I have a very heavy usage when not gaming due to photoshop and browser load. I've seen errors like this before from version mismatch, and I don't see too many people getting BSOD'd from KAG anywhere else, so I assume this is either a specific problem or something like a version mismatch.

Engine (build 668 v.95A)
    Game (build 590 v.91A)

I'll still say, what I have gotten to play I do really enjoy, so I'll stick around until this gets fixed.

6. Downburst

Windows' dump files. But the KAG log files may be helpful as well. (console and App log located at kag/logs)

These build numbers are normal.

7. LunarNeil

Baked a fresh minidump file just for the task. This time I'm not sure what the crash instance was, I was digging into the ground, it was approaching night (getting darker outside) and then I fell down a shaft I didn't see, hit the ground, and it went BSOD.

Interestingly, the memory addresses were the same, but I don't know what that means, but I do like seeing a degree of consistency.

I do not think spikes were involved that time, and I didn't have and doors or trap bridges up, frustratingly.

.DMP files weren't an allowed filetype so I wrapped it in a .rar with the two KAG logs.

If there's problems with the files, just let me know. I can pretty reliably recreate the crash so I can always try to re-aquire more logs.

Attached Files:

• Logs.rar
      File size:
      23.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Downburst

There seems to be a problem loading the Zombie's config file. What files do you have in KAG/Base/Entities/Actors?

9. LunarNeil

Interesting. That's a good sign, and it explains why I didn't crash anywhere in the tutorial or normal game so far. I do have a Zombies.cfg file in my /KAG/Base/Entities/Actors folder, and I opened it with a text editor to check contents, but it seems coherently formed. I'll upload a copy of it to make sure. The contents of the actors file is as follows: Sounds (folder) Sprites (folder) Bison.cfg Greg.cfg Migrant.cfg Skeleton.cfg Wraith.cfg Zombie.cfg Zombieknight.cfg

Attached Files:

10. Leoprime

Leoprime Shopkeep Stealer

Do you crash in zombie servers too?
    Go to KAG\Base\Rules\Zombie_Survival and replace your gamemode.cfg with this one.
    Have you tried to uninstalling kag and deleting the remaining folder, then downloading a new installer from http://kag2d.com/en/download ?

Attached Files:

11. LunarNeil

That was my thought too. I'm going to wait until downburst gets back to me, just in case this is an error worth identifying, since if I reinstall it may go unnoticed and end up being an annoyance down the road. I've seen those issues in development before... its a pain.

But once I get the thumbs up for trying to fix this, my first guess is to reinstall, try again, and if that doesn't work, modify the gamemode code.

Strange thing is I've been able to play zombie mode before. I got a little base set up with a pile of skeletons, zombies, and even a Wraith zipping around before it crashed.

12. Downburst

I don't really see what's causing the problem as I think there is a problem loading skeleton.cfg. But I have no idea why..

You could try to reinstall, guess it can't do any harm..

13. LunarNeil

Okay, reinstalled, deleted EVERY folder and crashed again. However, it only did so after I had played two rounds (one where I accidentally built an explosives workshop and ended up blowing myself to bits), and then crashed when--strangely--the skeles were ALMOST going to fall into my spike pit.

When windows came back up it said "This might have been caused by Audio, maybe."

I do know that sometimes my log shows errors loading sounds. I wouldn't have imagined it would cause a crash, but maybe that's the problem its having with the zombies or skeletons--some kind of audio it isn't loading.

14. Downburst

hmm ok, try updating your sound drivers then :)

15. LunarNeil

Okay, after another reinstall, updating the drivers on an audio device and disabling a different audio device (the onboard one that game with the GFX card, for some reason) I've been able to play a full game that lasted 12 days before it finally went south. Sadly it seems that my zombie foes did not take lethal damage from falling down three stories onto spikes, so while they didn't fill my Cistern of the Damned quickly, eventually they did, and expanding it a few more stories (digging up into the previous one in the process) caused a fatal bit of mismanagement and everyone got killed.

But it worked!