1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG bans policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SirFilthybottom, Mar 4, 2013.

1. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Enlighten me on all the hacking uses of kag console.

Cause that claim seems pretty unfounded to me.

2. Faldaga

Faldaga Catapult Fodder

I don't know how to hack - but just a few semesters of Programming would make it obvious that the ability to see what is being done in the console can help you learn to modify it -_- And thus hack it.

3. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

It may be obvious to you but isn't to me. The console basically is just a live logging feature. It shows for example what happens during game start, map start, etc. which config files, textures, sound tracks, ... are getting loaded and so on. It's helpful for trouble-shooting purposes.
    Hacking mostly works completely different. In short you for example "simply" change or freeze some values of KAG's code in RAM. The console won't help you here at all. Hide the console and it would still be possible. (You counter that serverside since a clientside antihack can always be circumvented.)

4. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Why did you make another forum account to prove your case, SirFilthybottom?

UnnamedPlayer, Radpipe and Iamaclay like this.
  5. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

You hacked. You got banned. You knew the risk.

The best thing about KAG is the community. It must be kept free of hackers. Permaban does this very well. If you really love the game then buy it again.

EDIT: removed needless rambling

6. blukey

blukey Finest Moustache in the Kingdom Donator

I completely agree with you, it clearly stated in the TOS that you could be permanently banned for griefing, hacking and other offences. It also states that if you have bought the game, you are still subject to the aforementioned ruleset. Paying $10 shouldn't give you immunity to good rules.

7. Steve_Of_Future

Steve_Of_Future Catapult Fodder

Well i get banned Becasue of my inability to Communicate With admins :(

8. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

I highly doubt that Faldalga is SirFB, judging by the shift in grammar and tone. Regardless, let's leave the moderators to do that job instead of calling it out- "no personal attacks" goes both ways. Focus on the discussion at hand.

Fal- I've been involved in various growing multiplayer communities for a long time. I know the nature of the beast we refer to a "hackers". They are far more of a plague than griefers, who are more of a containable threat. Hackers create a culture- if developers don't hardline nip it in the bud, it becomes pervasive. When hacking users become the new norm, who would want to pay/play then?

I'm not talking out of my ass here. Look at Realm of the Mad God. I've been around there since damn near its inception, and I remember when the first hack leaked into the game. The devs patched their security holes before it became widespread, and the community was better for it. After they sold the game to a less-responsive Zynga-like corporation, more hacked clients appeared, and nowadays a significant portion of the players use hacked clients to gain an edge over the normal players, who are leaving in droves because they simply can't keep up with having their achievements (and loot) robbed from them.

Hacking is primarily driven by a sense of entitlement- the hacker believes that they don't need to play by the same rules as the others, and takes matters into their own hands. This disrespects the fellow players, the developers, and the all the effort put forth to code and balance the game as it is. It's an intentional, malicious act, and that's why there's a spiel in the TOS about it. The idea of someone reforming and never trying to hack again is lunacy to me; people don't magically change like that.

Now, Vanguarde said in page 1, why not provide a safe zone for "non-malicious" hackers like OP, to all hack around on together and not bother anyone? That's still modifying the core of the game, and breaking the TOS. Honestly, why isn't the game as it is enough for these players?

If you want to mess around with the core mechanics of the game, the scripting build will have a ton of variables to mess with, and many individual server owners in classic have plenty of tricks to legally modify settings themselves. Check the modding subforum! And if your desired variable can't be adjusted, try talking to Geti! He's remarkably approachable.

And if you like programming and want to test your skills for fun or curiousity: try doing so on a single player game or your own intellectual property. Seriously, that should just be common sense.

Rayne, blukey, Varion and 3 others like this.
  9. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I'm not trying to poop on the parade here, but try to keep this thread serious, as it's actually a pretty serious topic for some people. I've deleted the several gif centred posts, because.

Also, the IP of SirFilthyBottom and Faldaga don't match, so unless he really is an alternate Vanguarde, which I can't really be bothered enough to consider, then they're different people.

blukey likes this.
  10. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

what i got to say is most people do not read TOS at all for a lot of things, KAG included. Beyond that there is no second warning unless another player is hacking. wait let me rephrase that: most people do not know how to "hack", they just download a tool like cheat engine and use that. So they are not really hacking, they are just piggy-backing on a hacker's work. This still breaks the TOS however. As people don't read the TOS they don't really get that first warning and believe that they haven't been warned.
    because games can get boring very very very quickly. dying a billion times does that. sometimes

At this point of time scripting does not exist for the public, There are two groups of people right now, the public and the testers. One of these groups is in a stained glass box, most likely with the testers are inside. The tester are inside the box as they will have control on what goes out what to feed the pupulace.

I am not defending sirfartypants here, because i read his other post which were being rude to furai, definetely no-no.
    edit: thanks hella for deleting the posts

11. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

Honestly, I mean, as long as you follow the rules, there shouldn't be any problem. Perma-ban is a suitable punishment for hackers, really. Just because you payed money for it, doesn't mean you're automaticly a V.I.P. They're selling a product here. It's not like you donated, and recieved nothing in return. You recieved 'exclusive' access to premium content. The developers don't owe you anything.

"Why did you murder your wife and children?" "I'm sorry, it's just, I was bored. I'll never do it again, I promise :l" "Oh, well, since it's a first time offense, I'll let you off with three days detention. I really hope you take your time to carefully reflect on actions!

12. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

Bad example as for one you will eventually get out of prison, and in kag you will never get unbanned because its only a game. Also if you never watch television or read newspaper you never come into kag with a set of rules likw kagdoes with its tos

13. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Ok, I'm glad that I left this thread open. Many good points were risen by people taking part in it. Also, thanks for keeping the discussion clean, to some extent.

It is really good food for thoughts. We'll definitely talk this issue over during the next team meeting. I'm putting it as one of agenda items now.

There was one point saying that developers should start coding counter-measures for "hacks" - if it was that easy...first of all - it is costing us much precious time. 2nd of all - it would start never ending battle between "hackers" and developers which in the end would take even more precious time of ours. If we were to fight actively with "hackers", then there would be no time to code the game itself. On top of that - fighting with cheaters is boring while making new features and seeing game getting nicer and nicer makes our (programmers) hearts beat faster. It what drives us on. (Not that I'm coding myself the game at the moment...but I guess you get the point.) Simply put - we are not enough.

14. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

Furai: Sorry for getting off topic and posting the gifs and the "rash" post above that. :( When I am on the internet my maturity level significantly drops.

My opinion on hacking in the game is that I can see the point of view that SirFB is coming from. I have been temporarily banned only once ever on an infinite bomb server. It said in the description that bomb spam (esc+f) was a ban-able offence. I saw others doing this and did it myself as well. A moderator came on an froze me than banned me. I had no chance to explain that others were doing it too and that I was sorry and I won't do it again etc.

I have the feeling that SirFB is not an advanced hacker but an amateur one who has recycled someone else's hack. People need to know that in terms of punishment there is NO difference between the two.

The point is: it is very sudden and shocking to be temporarily banned let, alone permabanned, personally cast out by the people at the top. (even ping-ban is shameful)
    It is also worthy to note that hacking is above simple misconduct of the game. It is abuse of code that you don't own. When you buy the game you buy the experience it gives you, not the game itself.

I think that sudden banning is effective yet also harsh.

Options are: make it VERY clear (flashing neon laser show) in the TOS that hacking WILL NOT be tolerated and permaban will ensue, or you can give people ONE temporary ban (3-7 days?) then permaban.
    With the new scripting build only being available F2P account spam will not be an issue, although I'm sure that you staff will have many other things to keep you busy. ;) You don't need hackers ruining it for everyone.

Permaban and (if we all had IPv6) IP ban is required to get these people out.

15. Hella

I'm just saying, being banned on a normal server and being banned on the master server is different. Ping bans and other are all centralised on a single server, whereas for hacking/griefing you can get a global ban on the master server. The TOS are pretty damn clear, clearer than a lot of others that I've seen, but just clicking ok to hurry past them means you miss the information. It's generally assumed that, if you're playing an online game, hacking won't be tolerated, and that's a fairly simple piece of reasoning.

Also, by differentiating between an 'advanced hacker' and an 'amateur', you are distinguishing between then, meaning they are not the same. In reference to the game, both abuse it, and therefore they will be punished equally, irrelevant of their level of experience.

16. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

Cleared up the above post to correct the meaning.

I know the difference between master server ban and ping ban and such I'm just saying that havign a ban placed (of any type) feels horrible. It makes me feel like the worst scum-bagger of scum-bags.

Giving other amateur hackers, who are probably quite young as KAG has many children playing, this gut wrenching feeling may stop them permanently from hacking. Others it may not. You could also question them where they found the hack.

Maybe an in-game silent *hacker alert* button? That could work? And if you cry wolf you get a temporary ban?

17. Hella

A 'hacker alert' button could be easily abused by trigger happy players or simply trolls. I like the current guard system, where you state !guard on the IRC, as it gives an alternate element of judgement, and isn't nearly so easily abused.

18. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

True, I forgot about the IRC.

19. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

You know.. I was kind of making fun of what that other guy (forgot his name) said.

20. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I think the OP has a point, we should have a tiered banning system. And hacking should be perma-ban.
    Theres a big difference between getting a little bit mad and cursing someone out, and finding a hack, downloading it, installing it, usually failing that and having to re-install it, and finally joining a server and messing with people. this may be an extreme example, but if you make a large complicated plan to kill someone then it is first degree murder, if you never had any intention to murder someone but did so out of rage then it is usually second or third degree murder. while both murderers will go to jail for a long time, only the person who planned it is a felon, and he loses rights that he usually earns just by paying his taxes. He can't pay 10 dollars for his rights back, be happy that you can :)