1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

I made a new game :o (boredom)

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Xlayer, Mar 21, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

Before I posted about my first game, Fragmented Platformer. Remember that? Good times.

Ok so I just finished my second game. It's called boredom. There is a longer description of it HERE

Here is the youtube video I made of it:

If you want to try it out click this LINK

There is also a Let's Play of the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZRo6LO-1A

Kind of a funny story that goes along with this. I initially planned on entering this in the Microsoft Imagination Cup, but at the last second, I realized that I was using a banned engine (They didn't allow it in their rules). Oh well, I said, live and learn. Does anyone know any other competitions this can fit in? Please??

Rayne, goodyman8, magnum357 and 14 others like this.
  2. Taureactor

Taureactor Shopkeep Stealer

Well I did test your other game (on the forum thread of fragmented platformer) but this one SEEMS SO EPIC :O! I'll download it as soon as I can and test it! (This seems to be my type of game :D )

Xlayer likes this.
  3. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

What's it coded in? On my phone at the moment so can't look in depth.

4. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

I used Game Maker 8. I only use GML in Game Maker; none of that Drag and Drop carp. However, this is the last game I plan on making with Game Maker. Although it is an amazing and simple program, I want to move on to the next level which would be pure code (like C++/OpenGL stuff). Recently, I discovered something called Haxe NME. I'm going to start learning how to use that instead.

UPDATE: Someone did a Let's Play of the game! How exciting!!! Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZRo6LO-1A

5. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

I would really like to see your next game stray from the puzzle platformer genre, while they are great I like variation

Xlayer likes this.
  6. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

It reminders me on the game "R" by MM.
    Seems fun

Wonkyth likes this.
  7. Shadza

Shadza Knightmare Donator

Game looks good .

8. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

Trust me, I'm thinking the same thing. If I complete another game, I can guarantee you it won't be the overdone platformer type.

Can you send me a link to it. I've never heard of that one!

9. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

10. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

So you don't make your games from scratch? Hmm... GM is relatively easy to use but you can't really do much with it.

11. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Not at all true.
    Hate using it myself, but it's plenty powerful.

12. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

Are you kidding? Have you even used it? If so, are you using it correctly. If you know how to use the GML, Scripts, DLLs/Extensions you can actually do anything with it.
    In my opinion, unless you develop a game using Microcode, nothing is really "from scratch". I've made small quick games using Python/OpenGL. I only used game maker because I wanted to focus on the story/gameplay/graphics rather than be bothered with syntax.

SlyStalker likes this.
  13. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

Rightio! Four points of criticism I can give you for your next game! I wont commentate on the technical aspects since I just don't have the experience to do so. Here we go!

1. The doors that requires you to mash the space-bar. I suppose some might find them enjoyable, but I am perplexed as to why if that would be the case. They do not offer anything in terms of gameplay, it feels more like padding.
      Someone might argue that it adds a sense of urgency- thinking about the part when you are chased by spikes. But even then, that could have been replaced by a platforming segment, and if you are not to keen to mash your keyboard into a pile of dust, it might be a bit infuriating.

2. The time it takes to respawn. This is by far the most crucial problem I had with the game. It became apparent at the first boss. Once I died it took almost 10 full seconds for me to respawn, and then I am not counting the time it took me to run all the way back.

Taking a game Super Meat Boy for example, restarting there was instant. It might be a technical issue, but it is one I would like to see worked on if you make a new game.

3. This one isn't too bad, but I saw it once or twice. Blind jumps. In the beginning, after the first spacebar door, there is a part when you leap from a cliff and have to land on a platform. Hugging the wall I fell merciless into the spikes. After that I respawned behind the door and had to beat my spacebar again.

4. Also a minor point. The disappearing platforms wont come back. When you had to be quick I made a mistake and ended up at the beginning, the platforms didn't come back and I had to kill myself.
    Don't take this personal, this is all to improve! The game felt responsive and the graphics were clean. Looking forward to the next game, wah!

Piano likes this.
  14. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

http://tig.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Game_Maker_games
    Iji, Spelunky, Super Crate Box, all quite known among indie fans. From this list, I recommend MAGI.

Game works under Wine compatibility layer so you can run it under Linux/Mac, but I couldn't make an air jump :/

15. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

You mean unlike everything you've accomplished with your "game"? 25252525

Anyways, great work Xlayer. Not just on the game but I am greatly impressed by the trailer as well.

16. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

Simple question: What's the song in the trailer called?

-downloaded

17. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

:D Touche! I was impressed by the game, but the death screen is too long. Anyway, my game IS under construction... And I guarantee you that its a lot more complex than this one. :/

18. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

Thanks for your critique WanderMark! This is the kind of response I need.
    I actually wanted to make my game very aggrivating. I don't know why. Maybe I have a thing for annoying people.

Did you know there is a hidden feature where you can press the F key and speed things up? I guess it's not a hidden feature now :p

Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Upload a video of you beating your space bar. o_o DO IT

Sucks, right? :p

Trust me... air jumping is cross-platform. ;)

Just a tip. Make sure you set a timeline. The only reason I got this done is because I set a specific date when I would have it finished and I stuck to it. I've had a lot of unfinished games because I didn't set a goal or plan or anything. http://www.xhhstuff.co.nr/other-games
    </br>--- merged: Mar 24, 2013 3:28 PM ---</br>
    Hatsukoi by Kojima Mayumi
    I can somehow remember the name and artist now.

19. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

Tried spamming jump in any possible situation, jumping, falling, sliding the wall. Nothing. Gave up after 10 minutes. It shouldn't be THAT hard, right?

20. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

Watch the trailer a few times. It's in the trailer!

Mods: BlueLuigi