1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Public consultation on plan for mod distribution system

Discussion in 'Community Dev Corner' started by Shadlington, Mar 24, 2013.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey
  1. Cpa3y

Cpa3y Shark Slayer

If scripting system is built properly, mods can't affect on operating system and do something malicious.

2. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

My personal experience is that anything can be exploited. There is no way that KAG is coded flawlessly. The average amount of mistakes at coding is like 15-50 a 1000 lines.
    And you can write whatever you want but you are still responsible sometimes. Example: if you have a cloakroom where you have to pay 50 cents to stall your jacket, it usually has a big ass sign with "not our responsibility". But if something is stolen, you can still sue them for your stolen jacket as you paid for them protecting your jacket, the sign is utterly useless.

Gofio, GloriousToast and I3lue like this.
  3. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

shad said:
    • I'd like to collect mod usage stats so we can track how many servers + players used each mod over time
    Does this mean the # of people/servers who have installed a mod or just uses the mod or do you mean # of people who has downloaded the mod, because every time a person who starts/restarts up kag or a server, that could mean they use the mod and then get another tic.
    Also i would give the recommendation for the devs and the devs of the website to give their approval to amazing mods that, like how strathos gives his seal of approval but for mods.
    edit: made slightly clearer
    //EDIT by Furai: Cleaned.

4. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The specifics of mod stats aren't decided yet, but whatever it is will be designed to prevent abuse.

Varion likes this.
  5. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Will there be a single player section for mods on the distro site? It seems like server hosters would be the only ones using the site if the majority of the mods are server-based.

6. Shadlington

When you play single player you essentially start a little server on your machine (wrapped up in the client) anyway, so configuration would be the same as with servers. I imagine that single player will be one of these 'tags' that's been discussed.

7. Only one thing that is unclear for now. Are mods that you've played permanently stored on your computer? Also if you manage to pitch in bytecode mods / closed source mods...are they still stored on your computer?

Keeping single-player in mind here.

Also will there be size limit for the api mods? Some total conversion mods (Mortal Combat multiplayer) could take up alot of space, tens of megs.

8. Shadlington

Yes you'd keep mods you've played so that you wouldn't have to re-download them every time.
    I don't have any particular reason for putting a size limit. I'm sure we will have some upper limit but it will be high enough that its unlikely anything will pass it (particularly as such a limit would be on the compressed package).

9. I assume it version-checks local mods against remote, though, right?

10. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Make use of PKI for mod downloads. All mods should be signed with proper keys for verification, and actually verified. ("do you trust xxx") in case of MITM, in addition to sha512 and whatever for integrity

Varion, Shadlington and splittingred like this.
  11. Shadlington

Yep

12. AJ123098

AJ123098 Bison Rider

Wait will the mods have to be bought? :( If so, then I'm not getting any mods.

13. Shadlington

I'm really not sure where you got that from. There is a mention in my post that we may support premium mods, but the implication is that a) Premium mods won't be supported at first (possibly at all) and b) Most mods will be free.

14. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I hope that KAG will use steam workshop at some point, thought that would make alot of people move to steam...

15. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

It will not.

16. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

what

wolfwang likes this.
  17. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

We don't plan to integrate it with steam workshop.

18. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

it as in 'mods' or it as in 'kag'

19. Shadlington

We have no plans to use steam workshop with kag

20. Trylobot

Trylobot Bison Rider

Shadlington

A system very similar to what you describe was implemented for Node.js: "NPM"

https://npmjs.org/

I use it, and it works splendidly. The dependency system is especially robust, with full support for optional version numbers, even with operators like "<=" which is super handy for package devs.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey