1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Post an image of you :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Rambo, Jan 7, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Cyber bullying aside, shouldn't you have more facial hair than that at 17? I mean I'm 18, and also Asian, and I have to shave fairly regularly or else I get a bit of a stache.

Guitarman, delankski and Noburu like this.
  2. Oximus

Oximus Arsonist

Now im sure there are studies, but i cant be bothered tbh.
    My personal experience is that when i started shaving my beard, it started growing to the point that i have to shave daily previously i would only need to shave once per month or so, and i never really shaved my stache religiously so it doesn't grow at the same rate my beard does and its much thinner. The difference is very noticeable.

SO it might just be some confirmation bias or idk but that's what happened to me.

"appears thicker than an uncut"
    Isn't that the entire point to some extent?

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

It really does vary from person to person. Wonkyth is from the same Anglo-Saxon stock as me and, just going by his lack of substantial facial hair @ age 18, you'd think he was Asian whereas I'm in possession of a smexy moustache (and then you have our father, who's beard has been known to reach legendary proportions).
    A possible explanation for this is that the time you started to really shave your body finally got itself into action to start beardifying.

delankski and BlueLuigi like this.
  4. Oximus

Oximus Arsonist

I thought about that.
    But the thing is i only shaved my beard in the chin area and avoided shaving the rest until it was needed so its like too many coincidences in my opinion.

i should like shave a lot one side of my neck beard and see what happens.

Also yeah all body hair depends on you and on your genes, its just like baldness if your dad went bold young theres a good chance that you will too.

5. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

if you only care about the appearance of thickness, sure. but if you want it to physically be thicker, than this doesn't fit your needs.

i could barely grow facial hair at 18
    it's all genetic. those changes are all occurring with age, not your shaving habits. i have a bald patch underneath my chin that's filling in over time and that has nothing to do with my shaving. i also used to have a small bald patch on either cheek, those are gone now. show me a person who only shaves half of their face to get these results and i'll pay more attention. your semi-symmetrical facial hair that grows more on your beard than on your mustache is very common.

also i believe you're more likely to get your hair genes from your mother, so you'd want to look at her brothers if she has any. my dad is balding, one of my brothers, too, but not the older of the two. we also grow facial hair inversely well to our ages. i'm the youngest and have the most and my oldest brother can barely grow any. takes him like 2 months to get this puny stash.

6. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-removal/an00638
    Question

Shaving hair: Does shaved hair grow back thicker?

Is it true that shaving unwanted body hair makes it grow back thicker and darker?

Answer

from Lawrence E. Gibson, M.D.

No — shaving hair doesn't change its thickness, color or rate of growth.
    Shaving facial or body hair gives the hair a blunt tip. The tip might feel coarse or "stubbly" for a time as it grows out. During this phase, the hair might be more noticeable and perhaps appear darker or thicker — but it's not.
    Consult your doctor if you notice a sudden increase in facial or body hair. This could be a medication side effect or a sign of an underlying medical condition.

7. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Myeh, different people get more hair at different ages. I know a 15 year old with a great beard, whereas I could probably get towards something decent if I didn't a have a bald patch right down the centre of my chin at the moment. ;-;

Guitarman likes this.
  8. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

My side burns are growing patchily at 15, as is the hair around my Adam's apple. I only shave once my side burns are noticeable. Speaking of genes, I seem to have my dads. He shaves in the morning and by the evening has a five o'clock shadow. :D

9. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Went to highschool with a guy that started shaving in the 4th grade because he HAD to. Had a full beard by 6th grade.

10. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I take it his name was Heinrich von Wolfenstein, and his parents never let him go on sleepovers during the full moon?

11. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I actually know more people that are not able to grow a full beard at 25 than people that are able to grow a full beard. Gotta love the pedo stash...

12. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I also know more people not able to grow a beard at 25, but women skew the statistics, the sleek chinned plebs.

13. Oximus

Oximus Arsonist

Men speaking of women i remember having this chick in my university class that was in a weird religion/culture and wasn't allowed to shave she had more stache than i do. Truly disturbing.

14. vampo

the town i live in has a college that is considered very progressive and there are a lot of trans, genderless, intersexed, etc people. lots of people with beards from any gender/sex.

15. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yeah, but if you're used to male-types being the ones with substantive facial hair then a bearded or 'stached lady is going to throw you some as your concept of facial aesthetics will have developed around the unconscious premise beard == male.

16. vampo

oh certainly! i'm not saying that oximus' disturbance was unwarranted by any means! nope! just adding my little corner of the bearded lady topic. there's actually a bakery here called the bearded lady.

BlueLuigi and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  17. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

You should create a topic about beard skills guys. We want photos here!

My gf took these photos. She is more skilled than me!

18. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

19. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Terry? You alive? Drop by IRC from time to time.

shadza18 and TerryDactyl like this.
  20. Bint

Bint Haxor

I've only just noticed this thread but I love that it's just turned into a full on debate about beards.

delankski, vampo and Guitarman like this.
Mods: BlueLuigi