1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Ranged66, Oct 12, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

KSP, a nasa simulator with 1000% more explosions.

In KSP you control little green thingy's, they desperatly want to go to the moon.
    The game has NO objective, mess around with as much as possible.
    The modding community is great, from rocket parts to setting up communication networks.

Try the demo NOW!!!!!! KSP

Antman likes this.
  2. Antman

Antman Base Burner

I like the game, nothing that I really got into but it's fun to mess around with every so often.
    From first glace you see little green aliens and some humor in the writing, but behind all that the game is actually quite realistic with how it calculates gravitational force and velocity of your ship, makes it quite a good simulator too. I read on their blog something about people from NASA's 'Curiosity' team played it and loved it.
    It's fairly buggy, and not 'a lot' of ship parts, but it's still quite fun and very challenging.
    I think there's over ten planets/moons to explore so far, and they're big, very big.. and a very very long way apart.

So far, I've only made it to Kerbin (The starting planet) to the Mun (Kerbin's closest moon).. And that was hard.. for me.
    I suggest anyone to go tryout the free trial, it is basically the same but with less ship parts and less planets/moons.

3. nerdpride

nerdpride Shopkeep Stealer

I am having fun with this. Look at Munnard, high as an astronaut, trying to fly into space with a plane (slightly modified Aeris 4, in the latest full version).

spacePlane1.png spacePlane2.png spacePlane3.png spacePlane4.png

I goofed up a bit and reached low Kerbin orbit without any extra fuel with a too-high apoapsis (almost 100K). Oops. I shot too high without making circular orbit and orbit tranfer should have been more efficient. Sorry Munnard. Now we would have to man a rocket expedition to give you more fuel to save you. Maybe then you can fly to the Mun or something with your plane. I think I'll save some monopropellent for the docking.

KSP has so many high quality videos too.

Beef likes this.
  4. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

Meh, havent played this for ages, i might start again sooner or later.
    Lately i have wasted HOURS into X 3: Albion Prelude

5. Ravenplucker

Ravenplucker Builder Stabber

This game is amazing. With the docking ports, I've started assembling enormous ships in orbit. Tedious, but very rewarding.

I managed to get one of the superships out of the solar system :)

SlyStalker likes this.
  6. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Can you leave some stuff out in orbit or is it a one off thing? Like, do the ships magically disappear after you're finished with the launch mission?

7. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

In the demo: a maximum op three.
    In the full version: Infinite.
    But there is a toggleable max for debris, because eventually it will lag. but you can have empty rocket stages hanging in orbit and all of that!

8. SlyStalker

Wait, so you can leave space stations and stuff up in orbit floating around? Awesome! You could put space stations around other planets and dock ships in to refuel! Also, can you make ground bases?

9. Antman

Antman Base Burner

Space/refueling stations are great, there's also attachments they can have that show temperature, gravitational pull etc.
    Ground bases are also cool, you could have a city on anther planet and have your kerbals roam around :P It really is sad when you crash land on top of them though :(

LadyHawk and SlyStalker like this.
  10. nerdpride

nerdpride Shopkeep Stealer

Well I wouldn't want to have a ground base because docking is difficult enough in orbit. The rover parts might make ground bases easier but I wouldn't want to put wheels on a whole rocket that's going somewhere. Rovers on planet surfaces are cool enough already.

But it's a sandbox game at the moment so make your own challenges.

11. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

There is a mod, Kethane, which lets you have Mining Equipment.
    You first bring up a probe to scan a celestial body for Kethane, then if you desire send a manned mining base with docking ports up, make it mine the Kethane, add a transformer module that transforms Kethane into Liquid fuel and Oxidizer and BOOM you have a mining and Refueling base.

PS i suggest you check out this guy, he made an Fighter Carrier IN SPACE and did epic battles with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MaceyDean
    Here is an awesome fight video of him : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgzHLUXIFiY&list=UUVNZXXTp6dt81aXAoU5Uj3g&index=4

SlyStalker likes this.
  12. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

When I was first time playing, it turned to be Kerbal Suicide Program.

13. Antman

Antman Base Burner

14. SlyStalker

Awesome... :eek:

15. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

I'd play it if it didn't have such ridiculously high requirements comparing to its graphics (ok I understand that physics simulation is CPU and memory greedy thing).

Do you know any similar games (building machines then testing/launching/piloting them)?

16. Ravenplucker

One game which has sucked a total of 41 days (that's right) from my life is a 2d physics sim called Algodoo. You can do so much with it. I've made automatic robotic arms, sensors, rockets, guns, cars, tanks etc. It's pretty much the same process as in KSP. Trial and error, you find out things that work, and then you can apply them to other machines. It's got a demo, but the main version is only 3 euros anyway.

http://www.algodoo.com/wiki/Home

Antman and SlyStalker like this.
  17. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

Found best youtube ever. goodbye rest of the day.

watch the first 40 seconds of this and you will click the subscribe button with so much force it breaks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htQm-Nbtw24

Fun Fact: he always manages to break the universe. always.

Guitarman likes this.
  18. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

Played much with Phun which was predecessor of Algodoo. This is a little bit different thing, but thanks :)

19. Ravenplucker

You'd be surprised at how much difference the grid function makes in Algodoo. It completely transformed my everything, and I finally started making some good shit.

20. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

Back to topic!​

I wish there would be a multiplayer option - build V2 rockets, war jets, armed rovers and bring doom peace upon Kerbalkind! :D​

Ranged66 likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi