1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

State of the beta

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Thats exactly the reason we are impatient as fuck.

2. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Only a single tear? That's a silly number of tears. Why not a number that matters, something that can make a difference, like 5? Or 8?

3. TheWids

TheWids Haxor

I wasn't lying or exagerrating

4. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

That's easy for you to say, when you have beta access.

vampo likes this.
  5. Hella

It's just as easy for us to say as it is for anyone to say. I'm impatient for the final release, and I am a tester. Generally, I have have a look at 1.0 at any time I like, but that doesn't mean I'm not impatient for it to be released so I can play with a whole ton of dudes.

It's understandable to be anxious for release, but it's also understandable for people to comment on the fact that most people here are obviously impatient for it too.

6. Koolala

Koolala Shopkeep Stealer

That's easy for you to say, when you have beta access.

7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Plus it's not like testing is a fucking joy of pissing about playing with new items, there's alot hitting things to see what'll make the game crash, and running around places to see what makes the game crash, and hitting things to see what makes the game crash, and jumping into things to see what makes the game crash, and the game crashing while you're trying to make the game crash. I'm sure there's fun involved, but plenty enough very fucking unfun to go with it that you can't see in a restricted and edited gameplay video, in which people seem to be crashing...

8. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

I agree.

you guys dont understand how hard it is to break a game you love so much
    (quote from someone, i dont remember who though)

9. ilaks

You're over exaggerating. You make it sound like a chore, which it's not.

10. Hella

No, it isn't a chore, because we're volunteers. If it was a chore we'd be forced to do it, but we're most definitely not forced into it, not by a long shot. Those people who are testers help the devs to find problems in the game not because we have to, but because we'd like to be useful when it comes with making the game we enjoy and, on the whole, have enjoyed for nearly two years now. We do it because we want to, not because we have to.

Even then, it doesn't make it an easy task. Yes, there are the fun times where you mess about with the features, seeing what you can do and how far you can stretch the game (underwater ports are a personal favourite example of this). It can be hard to find problems, especially since there is always the dilemma of overlooking a bug because we're not being critical enough of the game that we enjoy.

As AnRK says, there is fun involved, but there is great potential for unfun. I'm surprised you didn't realise this, with your extensive knowledge of testing KAG.

11. eamono

eamono Arsonist

As hella said, testing is a chore, i don't test KAG but i breifly tested another game. Testers aren't supposed to play the games, they are supposed to be nit-picky little assholes (no offense to testers :D) that find everything that could possibly be wrong with the game however they can.

12. FWIW, testing is hard. It requires a lot of effort, and not a lot of reward. It means finding bugs by doing super-trivial things, filing those bugs, continuing to check those bugs when a new build/revision is committed, and then giving tons of environment information to help solve those bugs.

The idea that testers get to play the game all day like you would Classic KAG is not true at all. I've played a KAG testing session that had more than 3 people on it maybe 3 times since starting testing over 3 months ago, and those sessions were short-lived (as the game crashed or we found bugs to go report.) More often than not it's you alone, in a server, clicking X because X broke last time, and then clicking A, B and C before and after clicking X to see if that breaks it. And that's just the play testers; say nothing of the modding tests.

There's a reason you still see testers playing Classic KAG a lot. It's because when they're done testing, they want to go play.

vampo, thebonesauce, Contrary and 2 others like this.
  13. Hella

Um. Did you what I just said? I said it wasn't a chore, because a chore indicates that we have no choice in the matter. If chores were optional, I'd always just leave them to another person. :)

Guitarman likes this.
  14. TheWids

TheWids Haxor

all these people complaining about testing. boo hoo motherfuckers

Chaoticredux, Guitarman and ilaks like this.
  15. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

They aren't complaining, they're countering false ideas that people have about testing.

delankski likes this.
  16. ilaks

Welp, I must be the only one that enjoy exploiting a game, and get rewarded by seeing the bugs I reported patched.

17. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Nah, how do you think people get QA jobs?

18. Hella

I never said that I didn't enjoy those things as well, I was just pointing out that, contrary to a lot of opinions that people seem to have, testing isn't always a piece of cake, isn't always conventional fun, but is also entirely optional.

19. eamono

eamono Arsonist

woops misread your post XD

20. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Like the faggots from arena.net