1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

BEST! Spike Trap Guide Ever Exist, (PS: noob friendly with popping pictures & coloured text)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aoki, Sep 26, 2011.

?

Epic Winzor?

1. Winnn!!!

66.7%
  2. Okay...

33.3%
  1. Aoki

Aoki Shopkeep Stealer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strech likes this.
  2. luizbr

luizbr Shopkeep Stealer

I laughed

3. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

4. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

i dont get it

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Some mention of it needing to be a lot deeper than they usually are would've been great, but this is fairly clearly straightforward. Good work aoki!

6. Aoki

Aoki Shopkeep Stealer

well basicly the spike traps need solid block to works...

those all layer trap u guys doing and those spike mostly in the center without any solid block (supporting it) are rendered useless,

Not only that, those spike that gets supported by your own drawbridge are gonna kill your own team (basicly you're making a trap for ur own team-mates)

above all they're waste of space and what an eyesore looking at...

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Nice guide, been yelling at people about traps like this for a while now. Have had someone actually put spikes on top of the topmost drawbridge today. :D

8. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

Does it work if you put castle background behind the spikes or no? I remember it working in one of the earlier builds at least.

9. Aoki

Aoki Shopkeep Stealer

Nope, like I said, it needs "solid block", since our drawbridge is considered as "solid block" for us, that's why spike on top drawbridge (without solid block on the side) is a turn around trap for us, but not for the other team,

and yes it used to works on earlier builds, but not anymore, still ppl keeps building the layer traps not noticing the big drawback at this.

10. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Your trap is also bad. It needs to be able to kill or else the first knight that hops in will disarm it, basically making it a door that covers the enemy while they tunnel. In fact as I said in the thread I made, in terms of stalling power / time spent, traps are inferior to walls.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

A good, deep pit forces the enemy to dig into it though. The 5 deep pits are completely useless but 20 or so deep pits lined with spikes auto-gib anyone who falls in. Quite handy.

@Contrary: I'd also posit that >90% of the walls I've seen built in KAG provide little to no stalling power, the 4 thick ones with doorladders both sides are easily felled and not worth the work put into them. Forts are where it's at, but everyone seems in too much of a hurry to get much use out of them.. If I make an arrow nest above a door more than half the time another builder rips out the block under the port door and puts another door there because we totally need 3 doors in the same damn tower mmhm. :<

12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

That's a good point. Active defensive structures which provide a defender bonus- for example archer windows and murderholes as you were saying are even better in terms of stalling power when manned effectively. Though for arguments I'd say that those are tricky as you need have an ally there at the same time as an enemy, and when an enemy is actively engaging your fortification that generally means you have died. You would need a force of sufficient size relative the enemy attacking force to just before the time of the enemy's attack for this to be truly effective, and the timing window is made even smaller by how easily proper forts (not solid slabs) are breached. Anyways I think walls are fairly effective, as essentially they are there to buy you a bit of time and prevent the enemy from capping your outpost before you can respawn and beat them down with your respawn advantage (as your spawn point is closer, though this depends on the distance of their outpost).

Really it all comes back to the old adage "a good offense is the best defense". I was thinking about this earlier, thinking about pacing in TV shows (specifically about Fringe and Dr. Who). What if attacking wasn't always a good move? What if there were periods of peace and periods of attack within a game? I think that would help create greater highs and lows in the game. Maybe resources (the planned coins) will achieve this? I don't know just a random thought I had. It's kind of relevant in of that if you had attacking and not attacking you would have times when it's better to stay back and actively defend a fortification for an extended length of time. Then that would kind of up the value of active defense kind of structures.

But anyways my wall of text is moot as the new build we are all anxiously waiting for will change everything concerning architecture dynamics.

13. Geti

@Contrary: I'd love periods of lull. I hope a way of properly defending structures will force a team to fall back and prepare siege equipment. The problem is partly that we haven't added fun/vital things to do in-base, and partly that a diplomatic victory can't really be achieved at the moment - there is no "request allegiance" option. I'd like to see that in the future in an initially anarchic mode where users were free to make and break connections to their team whenever, and to create a new team of their own. Something for the future perhaps.

14. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I tend to build forts with applications (space for outpost/catapult/doors for archer ports) and I tend to try and build them to allow the defenders the best possible advantage: don't make them climb loads of door ladders to get to the attackers, they should only have to walk through a maximum of 2 doors and the speed which they get to the attackers should be so many times faster than they spend getting through the defense. Digging down into the ground to put your wall is the ideal way to do this, because you give the enemy an obstacle but your own team walk on flat ground to the exit. Plus they have a nice height advantage to jump down from onto enemy knights heads.

That's about the best you can do, if it falls, it mostly means your defenders weren't good enough, rather than the building itself.

15. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Why did you turn on the bilinear filter, are you on drugs?

16. Aoki

Aoki Shopkeep Stealer

I really like to differentiate between moving stuff to non-moving stuff, smoothing the map pixel works great for me eye catching up me preys :)

17. Strech

Strech KAG Guard Tester

In an older build traps like the first one worked very well, that's why a lot of people build them like that...

18. Miaow

Miaow The Fanciest Pants always wins Donator Tester

There's plenty of lulls in KAG, its called respawn time :P

19. Geti

@Stretch: Aoki's been playing for quite some time, I'm sure he knows that. The fact is they don't work in the current versions and the bad habit of building them like that has been passed on down the line. Honestly the best way to use spikes is in a pit deep enough to 1hk anyone who falls in - anything else usually gets deactivated by the first unit to fall in.

20. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I've yet to actually test this, but does anyone actually keep numbers on depth of pit and damage? How deep would a pit have to be to 1hko anyone? (Assuming 3 hearts), I guess tack on spike damage.

I'll probably test this in about an hour.