1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

New fast movement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 16th, May 5, 2013.

1. 16th

16th Bison Rider

What do you think about new fast movement? Characters moving and jumping now like they on the moon, with low gravity. It looks very unnatural and i'm really don't understend what is the purpose of this new feature.

2. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

You just seem unaccompanied to it. Maybe you spent to much time on 'Classic' and this is how the devs really wanted it to turn out. I'm sure they have their reasons for changing one of the most important mechanics, movement. I haven't played to much but it seems fine and I didn't even notice it.

3. Squeal

Squeal Shipwright

I quite like the new movement, I think it's needed to counter the slowed pace as a result of increased complexity. My only objection is that it feels far less 'reliable' than the old movement. First and foremost I don't like the whole wall jumping business, the current implication causes these little bounces that make it feel like you're playing on an ice rink. Far too many times I've tried to jump into a door just to bounce right off the frame. The improvements I've would suggest:
    • Faster shield gliding, it doesn't match the current movement speed
    • Larger, more defined wall jumps. Make it less bounce off everything
    • Archers are slowed whilst shooting
    • Simplify ship platforming. (This is a little unrelated, but the ships need to be more angular and defined to fit with current movement)
    • Knights running full speed with their shields down should knock other opponents.

Gofio, Apronymous and LostPix like this.
  4. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

A ramming ability then? Would be interesting but it wouldn't stun them or it would be overpowered, rather it would make them fly a few blocks away. Anyway, i think the movement is just fine and should be left as it is.

5. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

movement compared to old kag is like they are on steroids

Gofio likes this.
  6. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

I like every new feature that make game faster. And dislike everything, that slowing it... (like farming food)

7. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

spam click to do shit faster

8. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

So you want a very quick and meaningless game rather than a fun long one?

Gofio likes this.
  9. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

You tie so many different words... just wtf. I just say, that I like the game to be faster (meaningless, fun??). If u like sitting in base and maincrafting for 30-40 min, np then

10. I think the new running adds some "fast pace" to a slow pace game mode. I Think it makes the moments when you get in a good fight much more intense. But it definately could be toned down a bit.

11. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

I liked the old movement better, but that might be because the new physics are not yet refined. Old movement was refined over the course of many months, and it was constantly adjusted to fit other mechanics. I think I'll reserve my judgement untill the physics get sorted out.

One thing I definitely dislike is wall jumping. Old movement was very predictable:
    -3 block wall? You can jump over
    -4 block wall? Can be scaled in some instances. Learn how to do trick jumps.
    -5 block wall? Better call a builder.

Now it's all twichy and weird. As a builder I have no idea if the wall can stop the enemy. I don't like that. I know that there needs to be something in place of notch jumping but I don't think that is it.

GloriousToast, Zuboki and 16th like this.
  12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Part of the issue with "Floaty jumping" is a lot of servers running with 80% gravity, at least in Aus. I know a few people were thinking it was canon that knights could fly upwards with their shields because of some server settings.

As for the learned block height, the same thing applies, it's just a higher threshold, which is very important with the removed notching. Imagine if falling in a 5-high hole meant you were doomed, as a knight, and you'll see why it's possible to jump higher with trick jumps now.

Gofio likes this.
  13. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

five block wall can be easily scaled. just jump, walljump, and walljump again.
    (make that "walltap"; you gotta tap the jump button, not hold)
    You will make it.
    also, a block, then a door, then a bridge with the solid part on the side pointing away from the wall, will enable you to notch climb.
    :bridge: <--- Bridge turned 90 degrees to the left
    :door: <--- Door. Any door.
    :castle_wall: <--- Stone block, can be wooden too.
    R
    E
    P
    E
    A
    T

(I tested this on sandbox, so it has the standard settings!)

14. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

Eh, maybe I am just a grumpy guy saying "I DON'T LIKE CHANGE". I gave the walljumping another try on the waterless server and it's not as bad as I thought. I still feel it's finicky, but maybe players new to classic consider vaulting to be just like that.

Another thing that bugs me about the new movement, is the constant speed. There is no variety. I think you loose some speed while slashing but the rest of is all the same. I think it removes the level of depth from the combat. It's one less variable that you have to take into account while playing.

Also I think it robs the movement of the feeling of weight and ironically speed. When you have only one speed at which the player can go it doesn't feel fast (at least for me). You need to have varying levels of speed to feel like you're really running. Right now I feel like my dude has a small engine up his butt and wheels on his feet. People slow down from time to time.

I think this is enough complaints for now.

Edit:

An idea I had just now: how about making the walljump stronger, but limiting it to only 1? I think it would make the player (well, me :D) feel more in control of what I am doing. You get one jump, use it well. No trying to twich your way up a wall.

Gofio and Monsteri like this.
  15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

maybe make the twitching up a wall possible when two walls are separated by only two tiles?
    I mean, has anyone else ever tried to parcour (IRL!) himself up by holding hands and feet against two walls, then push, move, repeat?
    It's really easy.
    I can imagine you'd like better to only have one good walljump, but this is not even walljumping.
    This would also still allow us to make effective elevators.

(EDIT: imagine if it would have happened for real in medieval age... All those knights jumping from wall to wall to climb a tower... lawl)

16. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

Wasn't the point of getting rid of the notch climbing to reduce the height of towers? Giving you ability to go up and down huge vertical shafts would have the opposite effect.

What I was thinking is like this:
    -1st jump carries you up to 4 blocks high
    -Walljump carries you 3 blocks more but in the opposite direction so you can't jump over 7 block walls, but you can still have some interesting jumping options.

I think that would make for some interesting walljumping while not encouraging people to build super high towers.

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

No, it was to reduce the amount of team-only vertical travel and encourage exiting towers lower to the ground, which helps keep the basics of building intuitive. Tall towers are excellent fun and we don't want to reduce their occurrence any more than is necessary - from what I've seen most bases end up reasonably tall in WAR either way.

The most common questions we got asked by any new players we introduced to the game were "how do you get up here?!" (talking about a door-ladder fort before seeing a team-mate fly up it) and "why is the door so high up? won't I hurt myself?" (referring to the doors at the top of a tower). Conversely, the most common questions from regular players that I've seen in the beta have been related to wall jumping (or asking about what the new content is), so there's probably some tweaking to be done there, but we won't be making it easier in the sense of jumping higher. We want to maintain a high skill ceiling while keeping the basics simple enough for a newbie to grasp; we haven't quite gotten the latter part right yet imo.

18. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

We don't run at 80%, like ever. I only adjust gravity when I'm playing in TDM and the groups wants some low grav (20%) fun
    Yea wall jumping needs to be taught some how to new players. Especially for the steam influx some tutorial should be in place. I can't handle a noob overload, I just can't.

Apronymous likes this.