1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Is it me or KAG is laggy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by laurentiu, Sep 27, 2011.

1. laurentiu

laurentiu Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hey guys, I recently(yesterday) reinstalled my windows because my internet connection broke and all the methods I know worked before, didn`t this time. So I reinstalled windows etc. and, of course, some of the programs are outdated.

So, anyway, I wanted to play some KAG, everything is fine untill I log in, I get hit by lag and it runs slowly. I pretty much think this is simply because some of the programs are still outdated, but I would like to know what this problem could be caused by.

If necessary, I will post some system specs if you think its needed.

2. Im_a_Turtle

Im_a_Turtle Arsonist

did you update all your drivers? like graphics card drivers and stuff

3. laurentiu

Mmmm, I just updated the driver like 1 minute before I posted this thread but forgot to check, seems that solved it. Thank anyway!

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Considering it runs at 30-50 fps (except during collapses) on my 7 year old laptop I think old drivers are usually to blame for the performance issues people have.

5. Utahraptor

Utahraptor Hulk Hogan Tester

I run like 300 fps but internet connections might still cause me some lag from time to time

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Networking is likely always going to be the bottleneck unless you're playing over LAN ;)

7. laurentiu

Wtf is happening now? Why all servers have that immense ping, I can`t play at all :(

8. Trojan

Trojan Shipwright

Everything is fine for me. Propably your ISP is having some problems or some program is taking your whole bandwith without you noticing it :>

9. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

32 slot server (or bigger) are usually laging a bit, i dont see the lags on myself that extreme but my ping is on EU servers great as my fps is too.

Laurentiu, what you can do is try to join always the nearest server to your country, aswell have an eye for 20 slot servers instead of big ones, i bet you'll have alot more fun, with alot lesser lags :)

10. Geti

What loki said. There's a reason the default sort is ping, not players.

11. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Well, I'd like to say that when I play on more distant servers, I have a horrific ping, whereas on a lot of other online games I do still have some lag, but my ping is certainly much better than what I get on KAG. I think I've discussed this with you before, Geti. I'm just assuming that the reason why latency is so bad for is because networking code isn't highly optimised? That, or it's just that this is a sandbox game, has a lot going on, and that's quite a hefty amount of info to send (I.E., block removal/placement).

12. Geti

It's a mix of both, the network code is pretty good but we could try to strip a few more Bps of here and there. Think of it as sending almost as much info as soldat/TF2/CS/CoD/BF for movement and aiming, with the added fun of syncing projectile movements, tile changes, item drops and the entire map, for 32 players to 32 players, plus the goddamn antilag code for everyone with huge pings (+ping compounding, as you have lag to the server and so do the 31 other guys playing with you, and when this is >100 or so things start getting ugly).

Also note that a lot of larger games have dedicated servers everywhere and will usually only show you servers where you've got relatively low ping (local TF2 servers usually have 30 ping, for example). We have VPS servers mostly and show you every server out there.

13. Xan_Kriegor

Xan_Kriegor Shipwright

I've had this problem, the problem was I was in compatibility mode for Windows XP, and I have Windows 7.

14. Geti

...I'm starting to think that emulation in general doesn't play very nice with KAG. We've had people complain about server connection issues, no sound, now stuttering framerates..

15. SpitfireXero

SpitfireXero KAG Guard Tester

Geti, how effective is the Anti-lag code? Does it actually hinder some people even more? The last topic there was on Unlagged didn't really answer a whole lot. It might just be a misconception (because a lot of us, myself included, don't seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject) but I've heard and thought at times that the Anti-lag just makes things worse. wat.

16. dnr

dnr Shipwright

from what I've seen it runs a lot better than soldat in high latency (200ms+) situations. I can play on the test server just fine whereas soldat was an unplayable mess above 200ms ping.

17. Geti

@sfx0: it works wonderfully some times and terribly at other times. I'd be interested in having it as a server flag so people can run a stupidly light KAG server without compression, anti-lag, anti-hack, whatever. It'd eat bandwidth like... a... bandwidth-consuming whale... (?) but you could run it off a PIII w/ 512MB RAM assuming it was hooked up to some beefy internet. That or just host 16 player servers and have a password ;)

18. SpitfireXero

SpitfireXero KAG Guard Tester

I must educate myself and find out what a PIII is. Thanks though!

19. laurentiu

Seriously now, all servers have very very bad ping...And why the hell I got kicked in the middle of a fight for low ping? Everything was fine and I didn`t lagged :(

20. Geti

PIII = Pentium III = Old x86 processor.

Laurentiu: where are you located?