1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

ARENA Open: Summer

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Ej, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

What is this?
    ARENA Open: Summer is the 2nd qualifier tournament to ARENA Open: Finals. I got my experience from the Spring qualifier and I'm aiming to make this one at least twice as good if not thrice!
    Main changes:
    -64 slots
    -Everybody, from anywhere in the world is allowed to participate in. Ping doesn't matter this time
    -It's going to take 2 days instead of 1

If you aren't familiar with the format at all:
    It is going to be a 1v1 knight tournament with:
    -vanilla combat
    -1 bomb for every knight
    -premade maps

The winner of this tournament will get a direct seed to the final event, as well as winners of 3 other qualifiers. Aside of that, other players gain points, the ones with most points after all qualifiers are finished, will be seeded to the final event too.

Short story long, scoring looks like this:
    1st place: direct seed to the finals
    2nd place: 7 points
    Semifinalist: 4 points
    Round of 8: 2 points
    Round of 16: 1 point
    Other places are not rewarded.

How do I sign up?
    You go here: [haha, closed :bird:]
    , make an account and register yourself. That's all.
    However, there are some requirements:
    -your name must be the same as the KAG username you are going to play under (when you register in the tournament, you can go to http://challonge.com/arenasummer and change your ID in this tournament in the panel on the left)
    -you must be premium
    Not obeying those rules will get you disqualified.

1 more thing about slots:
    -If all 64 slots are taken and there is still time left to register, you can do it and go on the waiting list. People from there are moved up in the waiting "queue" as those in the tournament cancel their participation or don't show up at the tournament*

*they will be removed during the check-in and replaced with those from the waiting list

When is this going to happen?
    19 and 20 of July, Friday and Saturday respectively.
    Both days with the check-in at 18:00 GMT (6pm GMT) The check-in will last 30 minutes:
    -if you don't manage to get on our IRC channel (Quakenet, #arena.kag) in time, you will be disqualified and replaced with someone from the waiting list (and if that guy doesn't show up, he's replaced too etc.)
    You might be disqualified in the middle of the tourney as well:
    -if you don't respond for 10 consecutive minutes, your opponent might take a walk-over
    -particular cases might be dealt different way but don't hope for too much
    During the check-in, players who confirmed themselves present can already start playing their games.
    The entire thing is planned last until 20:30 GMT (8:30 GMT), both on Friday and Saturday.
    Of course, there's always delays and walkovers happening so please don't be surprised if it takes 1 more hour or ends and hour before the estimated time. And of course, the estimated time was chosen based on how the last tournament went so we should be able to play the entire thing in time.

Where is this going to happen?
    Our primary server is located in Texas, United States, it will be split into 4 1v1 servers with at least one spectator slot each. As you can see, all of those servers are already up.
    I'm also more to happy to accept other servers' owners help but:
    -if 2 players want to play on different servers, the game will be played on the Texas one
    -the additional server providers must obviously agree to give admin rights to any person indicated for the the duration of the tournament

Ok, but what are the rules?
    Oh, that's very simple too.
    As mentioned before, it's a 1v1 knight tournament. The format is a 64 players single elimination bracket.

More on the format:
    -64 players competing in a SE bracket
    -Round of 64, round of 32 and round of 16 being best of 1
    -Round of 8 and semifinals being best of 3
    -Finals being best of 5
    -No 3rd place match

Players are obligated to play on given maps:
    -Ro64: Archipelago(0)
    -Ro32: Elevator(1)
    -Ro16: Shadowing(6)
    -Ro8: Bridge(4), Darkness(8), Spikes(7)
    -Semifinals: Archipelago(0), Island(2), Bridge(4)
    -Finals: Shadowing(6), Side Slide(5), Bridge(4), Spikes(7), Darkness(8)

The game rules:
    -knight only
    -1 bomb
    -default settings
    -no respawns, the first player to die loses the round
    -extralong, 3 minutes time limit
    -10 seconds build time, to have both players respawn before they can enter the map
    -if the time runs out and both players are alive, the one with more hearts wins
    -if both players have the same amount of hearts, it's a draw and they are obligated to play the round again, on the same map
    -deploying bombs during the build time/warm up (the time when the big red barrier is on) leads to a ban. no exceptions

Maps which will be used in the tournament:
    0.png - Archipelago (0)
    1.png - Elevator (1)
    2.png - Island (2)
    4.png - Bridge (4)
    5.png - Side Slide (5)
    6.png - Shadowing (6)
    7.png - Spikes (7)
    8.png - Darkness (8)

Players' games will be overlooked by referees whose job is to start correct maps and make sure all games are fair.

Other important details:
    The check-in and the gathering of players will happen on #arena.kag channel, Quakenet IRC network.
    Easy way to join the channel:http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=arena.kag
    As your nickname put the the KAG username you are going to play under, then hit "Join chat".
    Once the check-in starts, people who cannot shut up and will be muted, they also might be disqualified from the tournament.
    It means lighting the fuse.
    Nope, it's still classic.

All previous bans are lifted.

<I'll put more as questions are asked>

Current ARENA ranking:
    Space_and_Time with a direct seed to the finals (which means he's banned from participating in qualifiers)
    WarrFork - 7 points
    Brilly and Taiga - 4 points
    Fucu, Dildor and Jerloch - 2 points

2. morganblahblah

morganblahblah Catapult Fodder

So what is this about..?

butterscotch and Mystagon like this.
  3. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

get hype

Kalikst likes this.
  4. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

[​IMG]

True Ej. I want to join! Or maybe I will commentate, remember me from Gather EU 8? I was commentating and you told me to fasten up my typing!

5. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

ej pls arena open eu cuz summer pls na was spring so they can have autumn and eu can have winter but pls this one eu :(

6. RogueCupcake

Or AUS maybe! Please make dis one aus ej just cuz

7. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

talk to Ej about Aussies, he has a good opinion on them.

8. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Hay Ej, is there going to be a California server? Cause then I might be able to participate. Else we could always go with the fight at my house thing and I auto win.

9. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Only understood thing: 'yo'

10. 360NOSCOPE

360NOSCOPE Builder Stabber

Looks like fun, is there any information on how to participate? I always miss these and I'd love to be a part of one!

11. check the op nerds and alarm me if i forgot about anything

12. Mazey

'kay, I'll give you some EU servers, you want 4 like in texas?

13. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Looks like fun Ej. :p

14. RogueCupcake

I want some in Australia!

15. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

Ej has the amazing ability to somehow choose the only times that don't work for me '-'

16. isn't it like, holidays?

17. 360NOSCOPE

360NOSCOPE Builder Stabber

When you say
    "-deploying bombs during the build time/warm up (the time when the big red barrier is on) leads to a ban."
    deploying means lighting the fuse, or throwing it?

Also, I'm assuming it's not on the Beta right?

18. It means lighting the fuse.
    Nope, it's still classic.
    </br>--- merged: Jun 13, 2013 3:19 PM ---</br>
    woo, registration open, gogogogog
    http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/3ZZPbRNOX4

killatron46 likes this.
  19. Mazey

first one to participate B)

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.