1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Biomes

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by bout, Jun 9, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. bout

bout Shark Slayer

What would you think about biomes? I mean possibility to generate a map in diffrent climates, like regular, taiga, desert, etc.

NinjaCell, Hawxx, Schizoid and 2 others like this.
  2. demon2000

demon2000 Haxor

It will be cool

3. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

If you want different looking blocks use texture packs. Else, go and mod yourself some generator together which has additional blocks or something. I highly doubt that vanilla KAG will ever recieve any more biomes, so you kinda gotta get them yourself.

Digger101 likes this.
  4. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

With the mod distribution system the devs are making, one server might have a texture pack with a desert scheme, while another has a winter one. But throwing more than one biome into a single map can be a bit tricky since that requires loading multiple texture packs, or as Galen mentioned, adding extra blocks to simulate another biome.

It would have to be an insanely large map though.

5. bout

bout Shark Slayer

I didn't meant multiple biomes on one map. I meant one map in one of biomes.

6. m0zzila

m0zzila Tree Planter

The concept of different looking maps, jungle, desert, winter, sounds good.

NinjaCell, Wargod-Loki and Rayne like this.
  7. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

I vote Taiga

NinjaCell, Konfitur, Fate and 2 others like this.
  8. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

Besides different biomes I'd love to have rain with thunder and fog or even snowfall.

I'd imagine being careful to make rooftops being an important thing otherwise water or snow would collect inside the building.

NinjaCell, SlyStalker and bout like this.
  9. bout

bout Shark Slayer

Yeah, weather would be cool too.

NinjaCell and SlyStalker like this.
  10. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Maybe fog to reduce visibility (reduced archer effectiveness) or maybe monsoonal rain (reduce archer accuracy?). Monsoonal rain might also create mud, which could slow down movement on dirt, but I guess that's too complicated for the devs. :p

11. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I've always wanted different weather changes and biomes and each having unique strategy approach but it's really missing while being stuck with just one.

PinXviiN and greyfox like this.
  12. bout

bout Shark Slayer

MM, we want weather! :D

13. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Is that me or you're hating archers?

Gofio likes this.
  14. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

exactly my thoughts.
    Fog would be good, but don't even think about rain reducing accuracy and stuff.
    Archers are OP because they are useless if they aren't.
    Can you think of a way to balance them? They'll always find ways to be OP.
    Besides, in beta, knights are pretty OP against archers, it just takes more time to be good at knight.

I'm not trying to say that the idea of fog and rain is bad, I like it.
    Just don't make it too much of an anti-archer thing.

15. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I'd only go for the fog of war idea if Archers receive a serious buff regarding accuracy and range, in other words, alpha archer arrow flight and accuracy please! Because at the moment, lowering the accuracy and range with such ideas like rain and fog of war would nerf them to being useless at medium range, let alone long range. I can atleast see it work if their range and accuracy is buffed and they require a 'spotter' in order to pinpoint enemy players through the fog of war (ex: see enemy units near your mates). Even so, I'd take that more as a sniper challenge for those who wish to take it to the next level since I'd imagine it to be somewhat difficult to pull off.

16. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

I think fog and rain alone (reduced visibility) would bring a big enough disadvantage to the archer.

17. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Why disadvantage, archers could use a knight to spot for them, or throwing lanterns and lighting campfires could increase visibility.

18. eamono

eamono Arsonist

Fog of War is actually a really good idea, it would help to define each classes "role", knights are mostly used as a spotter for archers and a meat shield so that enemy knights don't f*ck up the archers, archers are a support unit that will help the knights to not die, and builders... build...

But biomes would only be a good idea if they had actually non-aesthetic differences, and "you walk slower in snow" is NOT a good difference.

19. bout

bout Shark Slayer

Fog would be nerf for everyone...

20. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

OK, then how about a hurricane effect which slows movement? That would be great for campers. Archers are great but archer spam isn't.

EDIT: A tornado with flying debris that slightly damages buildings might be... interesting, to say the least. A jungle biome with lots of fauna and flora would be good for snipers. It would also be cool if wind affects arrows, bombs, jumping and shield gliding at higher altitudes.

Mods: Rainbows