1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Current issues and dealing with them - POLL

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Do you like the proposed changes below?

Poll closed Jun 19, 2013.
  1. Yes!

77.9%
  2. Kind of! (post respose with reason)

15.6%
  3. No!

6.5%
  1. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Please tell me how? We already build storage building and we get supply drop every few minutes, plus if you ever had capture the point mechanic you will get chests/crates filled with some resources plus finding random chests around would boost immensely, who says you have to go and dig like an idiot when there are many creative ways to go about doing it, digging or chopping trees is not the end of it.

Also if mining was any easier/faster or putting blocks down cheaper in some way or more robust, most of that minecrafting problem won't exist.

What else there is, exchanging resources with trader for another resource, wood->stone, stone->wood, gold etc.

2. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Did you even read what I wrote
    I can understand building extensions, but not level based system.

3. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

No I didn't get what you wrote because you sort of write as if you are handicapped, no offense.

GloriousToast likes this.
  4. NKking

English is not my mother language.

5. driecoolguy36

driecoolguy36 Shopkeep Stealer

I stand by my point even more firmly now after having played an epic game (The one with the enormous tower, which many of you, including mm, will probably remember :D ). Once this gets into lategame with good builders actually building dorms and facs and stuff, this build is the most fun i've had in kag. And the thing is, there wasn't even that much lag! I change my mind on the dorm thing, it might be something else causing this, as we had a ridiculous amount of dorms and facs. (our pop was 45 in a 16 player server). Barely any framerate issues, while in smaller games lag occured. If you are going to add this, please make it a diff gamemode.

6. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Oh honestly fuck opera so hard.. no idea why I still haven't deleted it. I had written a wall of text and when I tried to copypaste, I ended up pressing CTRL + Space. Now it's gone.

Anyway. I think I like this idea, but please don't make team's hall selection automatic. Instead add three color swatches to the palette that define which team owns the hall or is it a neutral hall. This allows for much more creative maps. I hope you won't add migrants though. We would need to carry them to the middle halls as well.

I'd like to see coins do a comeback to reduce the ammo spam. Obviously you don't want everyone to have all the items on every spawn, because the projectile spam is getting ridiculous, but you won't want to restrict the special ammo to like one person every 2 minutes. We wouldn't get any ammo on spawn, perhaps aside from archer normal arrows, but we'd be able to purchase them infinitely from the trader with coins. (once we have the tech) This could include bolts, drills, kegs and alike as well.

And the trader would be included within the hall instead of randomly scattered around the maps, with those Russian guards of course. Perhaps looking a little something like this:

ttttttttttt.png

Also please remove bread. It's super annoying. Also please swap military supplies and barracks back in the tech tree. Like really.

delankski and Lieber like this.
  7. CookieEpic

CookieEpic Shopkeep Stealer

Yes. I love this idea. This makes WAR mode more of an area defense than a "Turtle in your migrant hotel until the enemy gives up" gamemode. I'm excited to see how this will play, because i really like the idea of defending your area while capturing the enemy's area.

The only downside i can foresee is... This essentially replaces CTF. :(

makmoud98 likes this.
  8. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

All of my yes for this idea. I remember talking about capturing points on the map, and how it would effectively make a clearer victory condition and it would make the game mode more fun.

delankski likes this.
  9. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Basically the game as-is can be heaps of fun, but it requires that factories and dorms aren't spammed to no end, both teams must know what they're doing (and the other one a bit better so it doesn't stalemate) and that some early research is done with gold - because the tech tree progression is way too slow.

10. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

....how?

you aren't grabbing an item and bringing it back to your base, you're capturing points on the map.

delankski and LostPix like this.
  11. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Which makes sense because you gain ground, it was greatly done in Company of Heroes. I can still see having flags and control points at the same time because it would make up for interesting gameplay.

12. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hope you will find other solution cause that idea is a pretty similar as we use and don't wont to weak up in some morning after month of hard work and discover that CTP are released, but not from us :gear:

I understand that can be the way to make mod much better, but not the only one...

13. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Here is something to help visualize it with my shitty handwriting on tablet.

[​IMG]

Game mode is simple, a Power Struggle between teams.

- Capture resource points/flags to allow supply drops more often to your storage, more points the faster they drop, maintaining them is crucial for base to grow stronger.

- Technology point is crucial and it's where all early rushes will be heading to, it's the ultimate entity that will decide which team has greater advantage. The amount of points you get from capturing and holding it for periods of time will decide how many points you get to spend on technology, players go to research building at the closest occasion and vote on tech they want, technology should follow a simple tree, each item group having their separate tree... for example

Boats/Ships - dinghy (unlocked by default since start) -> longboat-> warboat->more boats/ships??
    Drill - Drill -> mines more resources -> deals more damage?
    Keg - Keg -> blast radius increase -> sets things on fire after explosion?
    from Keg you will get separate branch going out - Mini Kegs -> Shrapnel upgrade -> faster fuse?

- While everyone is pushing to the middle to capture technology, other people can stay at main base to maintain the supplies and build stronger defences.

- Underwater capture points will bring another dimension to the game, some sort of diving gear is needed, water is a very important gameplay aspect.

- One idea I had was to bring third dimension into the game by having flying vehicles in the air and floating platforms with control points that can't be defended or captured unless you fly an airship, no building allowed in the air.

- Even though the goal of the gamemode is clear that team with better technology will win, map design should let operate around so even sneak attacks should be viable to turn the tides around, might make for interesting events.

- For maps with open seas for naval battles, capture points should be platforms on the sea on which you can't build but you can capture, they might float at the surface, this will allow no requirement to create islands in between that will stop bigger ships.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

In my eyes it goes some way towards replacing classic CTF, which would probably help those feeling heartache about that mode.

Re: Tutorial - We had one in the works by SirSalami but found it wasn't progressing at the rate and level of polish we'd have liked. I agree that we very likely need a proper learning mode though, and I'm currently considering the best way to reach out to the community for this, to let someone get paid for their contribution, and to avoid us burning time that we need to spend on producing the game.

Re: Mines - this isn't the place to discuss content, but let it be known that archers can defuse mines just fine with arrows.

Re: Research - because you don't have to set up a dedicated research building, there wont be any artificial delay in starting to progress, same with barracks.

Re: Migrants - they could be required inside halls for that hall to speed up research progression, but not for spawning - that would mean that you couldn't run around and claim every hall on the map and leave it absent and undefended but still get benefits from it.

We are likely to apply a cost of gold to factories to prevent spamming them to high hell. This requires maps to be balanced in the amount of gold present though, so it's something we're currently thinking about.

Re: Traders - they're actually likely to have their own little "trader towns" instead of appearing at your spawn in future, with guards that will fight you if you try to attack them. The traders will only stock a small number of items instead of the current EVERYTHING IN THE GAME PLUS EXCHANGING MATS, and will be something to be taken advantage of opportunistically rather than a fallback. The issue is development time of course, but that's the plan for them.

@NKKing We understand that it's messy and that things need to be refined, but we feel that we need to get a proper "globally enjoyable" ground level built before we refine too strongly, or we'll just end up with another KAG classic (where we stuck with the initial draft of CTF and there was a massive content drought). We believe that the majority of the current elements can be arranged into something that everyone can enjoy, we just need to find what that is. There's also the matter that this is actually a testing phase, and you guys are testing the game in development. Testing with the testing group ad infinitum can only go so far, especially with regards to testing how it plays with public players.

@driecoolguy36 there is already code for multiple migrants per-dorm in there, it's just not used at the moment. How do you see migrants moving to dorms as different to several migrants moving to one central hall? I agree that the current mode can be fun, but the workers per factory requirement would still likely be there with these halls, and you'd actually be forced to move to other halls to get more workers, rather than just shitting out more and more and more dorms into a huge migrant-hotel.

@xChaps perhaps, though I think if there are enough halls on the map "naturally" there won't be a need to actually build them yourselves, and having them on.
    It would of course be fairly trivial for a server owner to create a mod once modding is working properly, allowing you to build halls, as there's nothing "special" about the entities we create.

@Jackard and others wondering - yes there would be neutral/unassigned halls on the map, and yes the map maker could choose where the team spawned initially (their first, automatically assigned hall)

@Monsteri - A) the barracks wouldn't need to be in the tech tree, it would be available from start.
    B) The need for neutral halls to convert on the map was included in my first post, though maybe not as explicitly as needed. We are currently thinking larger maps would have up to 5 available halls per side of the map - teams aren't required to capture them all so it just provides an area that it's possible to set up a "proper" base at, with a spawn.

@Vanhuek - I appreciate the similarity, see below. We will be creating a CTF mode at some point as you know, but we want WAR in a state that it's fun to play and works for all players.

@nkChehov - I think we'll find ways to differentiate from each other in the event that we end up going with this plan. Our mode for one isn't about capturing all the points, it's about taking them from the enemy. I do understand the strain this may put on you guys but I believe in your ability to adapt. Perhaps ours will be a slower, longer term mode and yours a faster, more competitive mode.

Apologies for the wall-o-text, responding to everyone takes space.

15. NKking

Thx for explaining and answering all the question. I feel like the next build will fix most of the problems we have now. Now we wait, I guess.

Geti likes this.
  16. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

I personally have not played much KAB, mainly due to the rapid development and fuzzy win conditions. I'm really keen for this 'halls' checkpoint idea as it would finally develop a objective goal that a team can advance to as well as help show who in the match is actually winning.
    Keep it up...:)

Geti likes this.
  17. driecoolguy36

driecoolguy36 Shopkeep Stealer

Ok, thanks for quieting my worries geti! I was thinking the halls would replace all the structures and super streamline the game. If it doesn't do that, im completely fine with adding that to warmode! Would definitely be interesting.

Geti likes this.
  18. SergeantPL

SergeantPL Base Burner

I think that there can be option to mount and demount siege machines in future, for mounted bow too. I don't like limits with amount of bolts or any other supplies. Easy way for this: factory produce supplies with own mini storage and player can buy supplies for wood, stone or gold - 10 balista bolts (80 wood and 10 stone) or catapult (300 wood and 100 stone) <-- only builder can buy... It's only my suggestion from my point of view. Comparing with old KAG i can see the difference with range of building and picking up. Example ( i can pick up crate 4 blocks away or when it's falling down. Just tap "C" in suitable moment. :p

19. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

Wouldn't only halls (and warboats) for spawns and no spawning at a claimed hall make incredibly difficult to defend a contested hall?
    _____B/Hall____________Contested/Hall ___R/Warboat____________R/Hall (irrelevant)__
    Long spawn distance________________Short spawn distance________________________

makmoud98 likes this.
  20. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Now I see that a CTF mode in KAB would be easy to set up, so there's no need to work it out now although we might miss it -the solution for that: play classic from time to time. Having at your back 2 years of game development pays off, but you might pay a high cost for it. So think in the future, not in the past and not in how KAB should be similar to the Classic we all love. There are already some new elements -not all inmo- that introduce new and fresh fun. It's pretty nice to see the devs at forums and ingame.

Apart from having no halls, there could be different goals and ways to win the match, like killing the whole team, killing all the migrants, stealing resources or food from storage, disguise yourself as a migrant and introduce some kind of poison... etc. More like making different possibilites.

Geti likes this.