1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The KAG experience is getting ruined by noobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chiplink, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I figure MEDIC would work, as people who need help on a battlefield scream medic! Its oddly fitting. ;)

2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

This special snowflake business is another straw man (snow man?); I get mad at having a bad team just the same as everyone else. I am not saying that we should accept disruptive players, I am merely saying that making threads just to hate on new players and telling them to alt-F4 when they ask for help is not a good move. New players aren't what's killing KAG, they're the only thing keeping it alive.

Anyways this HELP clan thing sounds like the right kind of idea. Monsteri I think you're the only person in this thread (including myself) who's thinking of solutions rather than complaining. I really hope it works out.

kingofthebrithins, -Q and Haste like this.
  3. thebonesauce

Lovely. I'm the one actually taking action and doing something about this situation, but I'm complaining. Please note that in my badmin thread, I was talking about how an alarming number of newer players were "disruptive" and not bitching about the new playerbase in general. I really want to help new players who WANT to learn, not cater to the ones who don't give a fuck.

Chiplink and link6155 like this.
  4. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Well, I am interested, but like bonesauce said, I am only interested in helping those who are willing to cooperate.

kingofthebrithins and Chiplink like this.
  5. thebonesauce

Well of course. Why form a helpful group if assholes refuse it? There's little point in trying to help those that don't want to help themselves.

6. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKC21wDarBo#t=193s
    This thread.

I like how both sides are basically on the same side except for some minor things, and yet are fighting because both sides are basically insulting each other due to basically mis-communication.
    From a neutral stand point, the following are true:
    • New players are keeping KAG alive. Old fags honestly can't say this because most of them spend more time complaining about how bad KAG is, than actually playing (I'm one of these people although, I do have to help maintain the forums). New players aren't complaining about the "glory days" of KAG cause they weren't there.
    • Some of the new people are dicks. I'd say that it's fine to be a dick to people who are dicks simply because they have it coming to them. If they complain, well they started it and should deal with the consequences. However this goes both ways. If you are being a dick, don't expect to be treated superior just because you've been playing the game longer.
    • Not all the new people are dicks. In fact, I'd say most of the new people aren't dicks, they are simply just quiet and don't speak. The biggest reason people think there are so many new dickish players is because those people are the loudest and most memorable. I can honestly bet that most of you don't bother paying attention to people doing have decent and don't talk, even though they are new players.
    • We do have lots of new videos, texture packs and maps that are most likely bad. Just because the people are new, doesn't mean we should praise them. However it doesn't mean that we should just say it's shit. If you really want to improve the quality of the community, make Constructive Criticism. Sugar-coating or just plain out criticism doesn't help anyone and just makes everyone mad.
    tl:dr, you guys are idiots for even arguing about this in the first place

7. thebonesauce

Kouji summed up pretty well what I couldn't quite put into words. I will say that any time a new guy has done something good, I always try to commend them, whether in game or on the forums. Plenty of newer players understand the team aspect, such as builders buying knights bombs, knights giving builders resources, archers covering battle builders, etc. These sorts of things used to be the norm as opposed to the exception, even though back in the day there were still a fair amount of people doing their own thing because fuck everyone else I'm having fun. The fact remains, it seems that most f2p players are in it for themselves, though there are still plenty of premium morons out there. Just check Ban Appeals sometime, you'll see some idiot who paid for the game crying about his account being permabanned for speedhacking.

We're all on the same side, some of us just have trouble expressing it. T-minus 1 hour or so til I start the MEDIC group, and I'll try to pass the info along to Geti as I can see ingame tutorial guise being a big help to the devs.

8. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

I think that this problem is worsened by the elitist attitude that some of the 'older' players have. This makes them 1) unwilling to help, 2) shun new players and 3) start threads like these and complain about it.

9. thebonesauce

The funny thing is that Chiplink hasn't really been around that long, or at least doesn't make himself well known amongst the community.

10. Recipe for any online game, anywhere:

1) Make Game
    2) Get initial adopters (oldfegs), they enjoy game, develop strong skillset, but then get bored of it/move on/no longer can tolerate bugs
    2b) Some oldfegs are assholes, some are not
    3) New people come into game, suck at it just like oldfegs did when they started
    3b) Some new people are assholes, some are not
    4) Oldfegs complain about new people, new people complain about oldfegs, both sides overgeneralize, assume other side are all assholes
    5) Profit

This has been happening since dawn of time. I'm sure even the game of Go has people like this.

11. thebonesauce

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/medic-kags-newest-in-game-guides.14732/

Here's the topic, I'll be starting the social group now!

Who knew this would be the post that set in motion a wave of change...

delankski and SlyStalker like this.
  12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Actually yes Wei qi (Calling it go is for shitters like you who believe it started in Japan, baka gaijin), has this same pattern.

13. Harmony

Harmony Shopkeep Stealer

MUJER would be a more appropriate clan tag

also who is cliphink

14. UnionBossJack

UnionBossJack Catapult Fodder

Some people will always be too stupid to learn KAG. Once you realize this and accept that most people in this world are simply stupid breeding stock, you will enjoy life more.

15. Ketchup

Ketchup Builder Stabber

Some people need more time to learn than others, and screem all over the game won't help it.
    Share ketchup with them.

[​IMG]

16. Chiplink

Chiplink Shipwright

Wew! My post got a lot of replies and I totally forgot about it because of some real life stuff. Great to see that it sparked some discussion. I've read all the post and liked the ones I agreed with. Although I think that the subject during the discussion changed a little what I really was going for was best summarized by Alpaca:

There should be a non-skippable scripted tutorial that learns players the basics and more if they wanted. The 'more-part' should be skippable but should be easy found back in the main menu. The discussion about noobs that this thread turned into is an endless discussion but was interesting to read.

I've been playing KAG for quite some time now. Just checked it and apprently I've been playing this game since 21 october 2011. Longer then I thaught! I've never been very active on the forums or on IRC. I'd like the spend my free time playing mostly instead of chatting :D.​

17. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

Everyone was a noob when they started playing (even me, I know right) you just need to relax a bit and get in with it, we have all been there when a noob has just sent his whole team to doom and everyone strts to scream at them, personally to help them learn more than scream Noob!!! in their face - help them = the more help they get = the more they learn = the less of noobs they are!
    Becouse of this I have chosen to attempt to join Medic, hope I get in!

18. link6155

I think we're beating a dead topic now. There's already been several posts about how we're all noobs at first. Also, we should keep MEDIC related posts in the MEDIC thread.

19. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

I was just giving my opinion on it, nothing wrong with that?
    If it is a "dead topic" then the thread should be locked...

20. link6155

I wasn't referring to you, just everyone in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.