1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 806 - Tweaks, Fixes, Mad Ballistas - POLL

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Do you like this build?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2013.
  1. Yes!

66.7%
  2. No!

17.8%
  3. Kind of! (post response with reason)

15.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

So I decided to play and we hit a bug on Beo's server... no idea how it happened, but yeah, the Hall dissapeared...

Attached Files:

2. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Which server was it ?

3. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

I just like the water additions for flexibility.

4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Since when has TDM had halls?

Apronymous and Wargod-Loki like this.
  5. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

People should learn to read:
    Does the screenshot show a TDM server?

6. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

Beo has 1 war server and 1 tdm server.

Only War has halls.

Since he talked about a Beo's servers where a hall dissapeared, it should be obvious what server was talked about.

7. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

screen-13-07-04-09-50-48.png

8. SeanAS

SeanAS Meth Addict Donator
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

You can still make skybridges. Not satisfied.

9. eamono

eamono Arsonist

When i saw this i thought "holy shit how long did this take?", but then I realized that you probably just edited the map XD

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fwiw I don't like the water not entering buildings and it was all MM's idea please send the hate mail to Poland not Australia :^) We'll see how the popular opinion of it develops but I'd much rather a different way of clearing water out of an area than just spamming backwall.

Re: Spikes - for the moment we will not revert them to how they were in vanilla. The old spikes are useless meaningless content that only kills one noob per game by accident, probably as a teamkill. I would much rather a powerful game changing construction (which is very very vunerable to bombs if you hadn't noticed) than something useless that minecrafters spend time on that doesn't help their team. I want minecrafters to be an asset if at all possible, not someone you try to votekick.
    That said, there are a few bugs with them that will need to be fixed and the price may still need to be adjusted. I dont mind them being expensive, I dont want them to be pointless and weak. I want the enemy knights in my spikepit to CRY THAT ITS NOT FAIR AND THAT THEY WANT THEIR MUMMY, THEN GET KNEECAPPED AS THEY TRY TO ESCAPE. I also want this balanced of course :^)

Re: Support - I'll be looking into how to do the thickness thing this afternoon. In the meantime we'll probably reduce support somewhat. The people telling you "it's pretty easy to shoot down a skybridge guys" are right though, it is pretty easy to shoot down a skybridge (especially with ballista and bomb bolts, or bomb arrows).

Re: Kegs - the bomberman explosion is likely here to stay, but I'm thinking about making it thicker and less long so that it blows out more of a circle than a plus. I dont want the circle explosion back completely because it gives no chance to avoid a keg for the other classes and is really shitty for breaking down towers. Making the explosion larger will cost too much for performance. With regard to them tunnelling, this has been somewhat curbed by them only eating 5 tiles in any given direction.

Re: Ballista - it breaking bedrock isn't intended, will be fixed. The bolt acting wierdly is also a bug, will also be fixed.

Re: Dead but not gibbed migrant - nice catch. Fixing now.

Re: Sprite bug at ammo factory - this is no bug, it just shows the queue of items to be created. Same thing happens at explosive factory or any factory making more than one item.

Re: funny red square bugs - they're to be expected with quick builds, I'll look into them today of course.

Re: terrain erosion - I'm considering reducing the damage from regular bombs, at least to dirt, but I think it's important that they destroy wood and stone block tiles in one hit because it improves the knight's ability to breach. We had this issue ages ago in classic, the solution there was just making them not eat dirt so much.

Digger101 and delankski like this.
  11. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Everyone.... SLAP MM! :p
    So much tunnelers, and chaotic backwalls eating water. :(

12. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

I DIDN'T edit the map, I did it all manually.

FuzzyBlueBaron, JacKD and delankski like this.
  13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

derp

Re: breaking bedrock with ballista, I'm not able to do that now (dev build), is there some way to reproduce?

Apronymous and delankski like this.
  14. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

It was actually pretty easy because of the speed in which you can place backwall now.

delankski likes this.
  15. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Did you try explosive bolts on ballista?

16. Geti

Yes. I've made some modifications since then so maybe they contributed a fix, or maybe it's something janky going on over net.

17. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

That might be the case, but I wouldn't rush it, when next update hits it will be clear what causes it, because if it's connection issue then I guess it's more complex to fix because of client/server synchronization stuff.

18. Geti

I just couldn't reproduce it, no stress.

We're looking to get a new test out tonight, not sure if it'll be public or not but it's got a bunch of fairly handy fixes in it so we might push it out to public.

19. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

1) Just make it so the points are not being flooded. And the main problem why the even got flooded is when ballista destroyed bedrock. (when the key problem will be fixed flood problem will disappear)

2) OK, Spikes spamming is A VERY BIG PROBLEM they are causing skybridging, terrain erosion ( It is not a problem of bombs it is a problem of stalemate. As I shown in that slideshow of a match. When a good team meets bad team, but a bad team has that bloody spike field a they start winning.)

[​IMG]

I like new spikes it is an interesting piece of concept. But if you cant make it work you need to make serious changes in mechanics. Yes, you can say we made it so it needs to be placed on the stone; helped a bit but not a lot.

Yes , it is beta and yes, you are trying new things out, But the spikes in which state they are now should've been in that state when you released the update with spikes in it. Same thing for back wall blocking water. It seems from the side that devs are just throwing new ideas in to the game without even testing them. ( I cant be sure if that is true or not , but if not then sorry). Beta players are not test subjects on which you test new ideas.

3) It is not the case of how quick you can destroy it. Even if someone will be abele to shoot down enemy skybridge. It will give the enemy team that INORMES advantage for a minute. I was testing the other day how much time needed for a person to build that bridge, go swap to knight get 4 bombs, 1 mine, 1 satchel; run across the bridge, jump on the enemy small front line tower, then light it on fire, then bomb jump to the point if needed double bomb jump, get to the closest door from the top or the side ( preferably wooden door), throw a mine through the door, because it is hard to spot when it is surrounded with migrants. Wait till all enemies spawn and then explode (destroying the wooden door). and then you just enter this empty hall an capture it. ( you can say we made it so people respawn while hall is being captured). If player knows mechanics and played for a long time he can count exactly when he person will spawn and then just double slash him. ( about fighting stabbing is still to fast.) All that caused by a skybridge which was an the map only for a few seconds.

I told you that only to make a point that it doesn't matter how easy it is to destroy, it just should NOT EXIST At all in any for or shape NO. (But if you return the classic war mechanics so that person who want to build a sky bridge needs to build supports every what 5-8 blocks ( I don't quite remember, then it is fine) The time spent will be the cost for the advantage.

4) Ok, we will see how that works.( could you describe it a bit more .)

5) Ok.

6) It is not because of bombs it is because of the stalemate, which is caused by bugs or disbalanced mechanics.

Bugs spotted:
    7) Mines are no collide with doors.
    8) Sometimes at the back of the warboat player is no collide with the back of the boat. It causes player spazing.

Sorry for bad English I was typing in a hurry.

20. Geti

Yes we are (there isn't formal testing of every feature), and yes you are. You are test subjects. This is a test version. The gigantic red text as the map loads THIS IS A BETA VERSION should make this reasonably clear. We are in the process of stabilising stuff, but we dont have time to spend 3 days after introducing every feature deploying to testers and having 1 hour test session. We make the thing, test local, discuss it, push to test every few hours and will release to you. If you aren't comfortable with the game experience being in a state of flux, wait for it to be released on steam or something. This is a test version. You are our testers now.
    Reverting changes is instant and easy, as we have done for the backwall flooding already.

The spikes are now even more expensive, 30 stone (meaning 40 stone for a working retracting spike)

Fixed the mine thing just now (nice catch, easy fix too), war boat collision stuff is something we'll need to look into more.

No worries about your english, as long as its understandable I don't really mind.

Today I added a sponge item to replace the backwall blocking water which you can use to clean water out of an area, which is much more fun and sensible. They have a satisfying swell up animation as well and eventually become "full" of water and must be replaced, adding to the cost of building underwater bases.
    I cant wait for the first boat to sink due to sponge bombardment :)

MM added sand tiles which act as a natural barrier to construction on an area - mainly for use on beaches. We're more or less sick to death of "castle on cliff on side of lake" as the trope of water dominated maps, hopefully we'll get more "omaha beach" situations. You cannot build on sand tiles, they provide zero support and actually suck support out of things built across them, meaning if you want to suspend a castle above the sand you'll have to do so at your own risk.
    The sand tiles also fall downwards when you dig under them and are more or less indestructible, meaning they help prevent erosion in the area they occur and that it takes a lot of effort to move them (so if you want your beach base you basically have to excavate the whole beach first).
    MM's currently looking into how to make the falling sand actually hurt you since it's instant and getting buried in it makes you glitch through the terrain instead of getting hurt.

I think the sand needs some more work but I think that combined with sponges it'll force bases to either extend into the water or sit back from the beach a little more, either one is fine by me.

The support requirement has been increased again from what it was to further combat skybridges.

I think it'll be going public later on today if other stuff doesn't take our attention for too much longer, so you'll be able to give opinions on the keg and ballista bolt changes.

The keg feels far meatier for what it's worth, and has less of an obscene range - it's a compromise between "circle" and "bomberman"

Stevedog, JacKD, Digger101 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.