1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Awesome NES games you've never played.

Discussion in 'Other games' started by thebonesauce, Jul 8, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Hey doods. In my spare time, I collect old school games and consoles, and over the last few years of doing so I've come across a ton of awesome games that I've never heard of, never saw in any top whatever game lists, and never really even knew existed. So here's a few you should check out!

First up is an excellent little platforming game called Little Samson.

Made towards the end of the life cycle of the NES by Taito, it's a virtually unknown NES game. It's now super rare, but very much worth the money. It's actually made by ex-Capcom employees. You play as Samson (or Lickle, depending on where you're from) and have to gather 3 other friends, including a dragon named Kikira, a golem named Gamm, and mouse named KO (who uses BOMBS, how sweet is that?!). When you get started, you can switch between these four characters on the fly, and each one is necessary for certain parts. For example, Samson can climb on walls and ceilings, Kikira can fly for short periods of time, Gamm is a powerhouse and can walk on spikes, and KO can fit through narrow spots. It's a great addition to any NES collection, but comes with a price. Complete copies of the game with a box and manual go for AT LEAST $500 USD, and loose copies start at around $150. I managed to find a copy with the end label ripped at a Goodwill for $0.89, a find I will never forget.

Next we have Cowboy Kid, a fun little River City Ransom meets spaghetti western game.

Made by an unknown company called Romstar in 1991, Cowboy Kid had HORRENDOUS box art, something that is actually very common in NES games.
    [​IMG]

The main objective of this game is to become the town's sheriff and play as either the stereotypical old west gunslinger, or the 2P option of the stereotypical Native American sidekick. This game is TONS of fun though. Once you are the sheriff, you hunt down outlaws, explore dungeons, play minigames like black jack and a shooting gallery, and find tons of useful items. It's kind of an old school action RPG. I highly recommend this game!

Finally, we have an off the wall but incredibly fun SHMUP called Gun Nac.

The story is pretty weird. Some unknown villain has turned random items used in modern society into deadly weapons, and it's up to you as the Gun Nac to take them down. You can pick up 5 different weapons, power them up ad nauseum, and use special items like bombs and lightning strikes to mow down enemies. It's hard to explain, but it's loads of fun.

There's just a few, I might post some more later on. You really should check some of these out via emulator, because they're amazing and it's impossible to find some of these games.

2. OGarrus

OGarrus Catapult Fodder

Yea i had NES when i was a pretty little kid :D and i will never forget on my most favorite game ever and its FELIX THE CAT

norill likes this.
  3. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

My favorite right here:

It introduce a ton of new powerups and a new kind overview of the world. Before, you could only proceed to the next level, but in SMB3, you could pick your path.

I've sold my NES long ago :( but I still have the controller :D

[​IMG]

4. HOW COULD YOU HAVE A NES THREAD AND NO ONE MENTION IRON TANK!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously. One of the best NES games ever. Multiple pathways. Cool guns. Little men who run out screaming help. Upgrades. Badass music. All things that made NES good in one game.

Other lesser-known gems worth mentioning:

Conflict
    One of the best turn-based strategy games for the NES. I can't count how many hours I spent building tanks to storm my friends bases and laugh as their puny infantry was ramshackled by my treads.

Strider
    This game made me throw the controller at the screen more than any NES game. Insanely difficult platformer with *tons* of depth.

Tecmo Bowl

Simply the best sports game ever made for the NES. Herschel Walker ftw. Always.

And finally, with no description necessary, and even though it's (somewhat) popular it always needs mentions in any NES thread:

Metal Gear

thebonesauce likes this.
  5. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

I thought it was called "lickle and the holy bell" or something like that?
    It's a gem, keep it and love it.

6. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

海腹川背, motherfuckers, is the platforming shit.
    EDIT: yeah, it's SNES, but that's a minor detail. :P

7. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

I loved this game so much. Mainly because there were infinite lives (I sucked at games as a kid)

Guerilla War:

8. Pecola1033

Pecola1033 Drill Rusher
    1. Delta Force - Delta

I thought he said NFS and I'm like WHAT, NEED FOR SPEED

9. H4ZExVoltage

H4ZExVoltage Catapult Fodder

You can buy and NES now, it's a special version that combines the NES and the SNES, plus they give you 2 SNES controllers, my mother got me one for last christmas :D it's even compatible with the old NES controllers :D

10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Is it sad that I've played every game here? I downloaded the goody pack a long time ago and even have the Japanese games that were never released and are just betas for NES. @_@;

thebonesauce likes this.
  11. H4ZExVoltage

H4ZExVoltage Catapult Fodder

It's wrong that you think that's wrong :I

12. no no no, thats where we crown you the king of nerds

Mods: BlueLuigi