1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What happened?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eamono, Jun 26, 2013.

1. eamono

eamono Arsonist

Where did everyone go? 2-3 weeks ago I was playing 32 person games and now it seems that less then 30 people are online! where did everyone go?

2. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Exams, summer holiday, Beta fatigue. No need to worry about it.

3. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

Also you get abnormally large crowds on the day of an update.

4. 16th

16th Bison Rider

All play classic, coz beta still sucks.

sheek and Beelzebub like this.
  5. whatever1works

whatever1works Drill Rusher

beta is WAY awesome now... NO MOAR STALE MATES

6. UnionBossJack

UnionBossJack Catapult Fodder

Players are mostly in classic. No 'summer fatigue'.

Vidar likes this.
  7. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Depends on what time you play. Right now, there are plenty of people on with the IGS thing.

8. eamono

eamono Arsonist

this, but there is nowhere near the number I would expect, last I checked IGS sold 2500+ premium acounts, and I've never seen the number of players in the beta top 100

Makara likes this.
  9. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

I know. It's confusing me.

10. eamono

eamono Arsonist

My guess is that 1500~ish people just by every IGS game for 1$, but they can't play any of them cause they have too many

Makara and amgtree like this.
  11. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

What happens is everyone goes to MM us testing server for the good ping, but it fills up and other people just say fuck it cause all of the othere ones are empty and do something else

TheUltraHamster, m0zzila and eamono like this.
  12. eamono

eamono Arsonist

this too, i wish more peeps played RTDM

Hawxx likes this.
  13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

For what it's worth in classic there are on average 2-3k active players, and the count never tops 300 or so on at a time.

We can hopefully steer clear of the deadlock we got into earlier with an injection of more players - theres nothing more daunting than 0 players online :/

TheUltraHamster likes this.
  14. Geokinesis

Geokinesis Catapult Fodder

If I understand it KAB will be released on steam when finished?
    That would be a massive shot in the arm for online play.

15. eamono

eamono Arsonist

But it would be a massive boost in terms of player numbers, which the game desperately needs, I'm not sure when the last time I played on a TDM server with over 12 people

16. Geokinesis

Geokinesis Catapult Fodder

Uh, I was saying KAB on steam would be a good thing.

The phrase 'a shot in the arm' means:

17. eamono

eamono Arsonist

ooooohhhh, my bad, I figured a shot in the arm meant something along the lines of "taking something that was good and making it worse"

18. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

The steam release will have a huge influx of players, but it will also degrade the community quality. However, hopefully the Buy to play will keep most 8 year olds out.

19. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

With a fresh new play base we might see the gameplay change drastically

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This is actually our hope too. It also completely undermines pub griefing and hacking - every time a serial griefer or hacker is caught they'll need to pay another tenner to keep doing what they're doing, a price I'm sure almost every one of them will _not_ be able to keep up with. Our dedicated support dude Lucas (Furai) watches the reports feed with hawks eyes. As the major plague on classic is hacking at the moment, not being able to just create a new account and get back to it should be a huge deterrent for them. Good riddance to them.

Yes, it will. I had no idea what a shot in the arm meant though so thought you were saying it'd be a bad thing as well :^) The increase in player base should ensure that the game has enough players to stay viable - we likely need a slight change in player behaviour at the moment though if the game is going to stay full, idling in otherwise empty servers to build games from nothing rather than exiting when you see zero players is a start. An IRC specifically for gathering players for a TTH game could also work - we'll be looking into it harder once the beta is in the hands of the public at large.

inactive_account likes this.